What is this under kitchen sink

lukeysh

Under my Landmark kitchen sink, I do not have the same air vent that I have in bathroom sink. All I have is the black device shown with arrow. It has no flap or back flow preventer, only the Y that is open to inside of pipe and to outside. What is happening is that when washing dishes, suds back up into drain line and come out of the port, getting the floor under the island wet. I’m confused as to why this is open ended with no check valve to prevent this.

Is this normal? If not, do you have a recommendation for a fix. I cannot get to any p-trap to clean as all of the piping downstream of this fitting goes into the underbelly. Thoughts? Also, what is the white piping with the ribs on it?

Attachments

• Kitchen sink .jpg
    Kitchen sink .jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 128

danemayer

That is where the optional dishwasher drain hose would be connected. I think Heartland shipped a bunch without caps. You could call next week and Heartland to ship you a cap, or go to a hardware store and buy a cap for 79 cents.

Once capped, when your drain line backs up, it'll be into the sink. That begs the question of why it's backing up.

lukeysh

That is where the optional dishwasher drain hose would be connected. I think Heartland shipped a bunch without caps. You could call next week and Heartland to ship you a cap, or go to a hardware store and buy a cap for 79 cents.

Once capped, when your drain line backs up, it'll be into the sink. That begs the question of why it's backing up.

Thanks Dan. It seems that its suds from the dishwashing liquid that backs up. If only flowing water, it doesn't back up. Since this appears to be a hose barb type fitting, what type of cap would work? ALso, what is the white piece that has ribs on the bottom?

danemayer

Thanks Dan. It seems that its suds from the dishwashing liquid that backs up. If only flowing water, it doesn't back up. Since this appears to be a hose barb type fitting, what type of cap would work? ALso, what is the white piece that has ribs on the bottom?

The white piece pointed to by the 2nd arrow might lead to a Studor Air Admittance Valve. I assume the sink is in the island and there's no direct vent stack. A Studor Valve acts as a vent.

On capping the dishwasher port, you're in luck. A 5/8" chair tip will do the job. Jesstalkn already found what you need and posted a pic. Here's a link.

mlpeloquin

Not a fan of the
HepvO waterless sanitary valve. The rubber membrane will loose its ability to close over time. This drain valve is not allowed for S&B use in most states do to this as well as the cheep $9.00 Studer valve that relies on a rubber flap's memory to make the seal. We all know just how well the cheep Studer valve works. The more expensive ones use a spring to stay closed.​