What kind of MPG do you get whle towing?

Got 16.7 going from Naples, Fl to Del Rio, Tx Thats with about a 30 MPH tail wind. Otherwise its between 12.5 and 13. Found the sweet spot for milage is 63 MPH(for me anyway) No mods except for K&N filter

andy

got a 2005 2500 3.73 gears ram with unlocking hubs no other mods get up to 22.0 not towing also started to get better mileage after 40,000 mi an 11.00 to 13.00 when towing towing a 3600 bighorn an a golfcart an staying below 70

conveyman

I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 with the cummins and I have it chipped with the Diablo Chip it has settingsd of normal, 40 hp and 90 hp settings. We have a North Trail 24 RL that is a fifth wheel, it weigh's approx. 6,934#'s empty and loaded with our things I would say that it would come in about a little over 8,000#'s. With my truck in the 90 hp setting I have gotten 19-20 MPG with a tail wind and normally I get 16-18 MPG. With out any load and running empty I set it at he 40 HP setting and I get about 28-30 MPG on the road and around town I get about 22-25 MPG. The chip is the best thing I ever did.

Rmcgrath53

7.3 diesel dually got 18-19 traveling 60 mph empty except a 9 foot snow plow in the bed of the truck. 10-11 pulling my 12,000 lb sundance. staying around 60 mph

ron

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Better call Dodge!!

If I were you I would call Dodge/Cummins and let them know of the 30MPG! It would be the FIRST to ever do it. There has never been a recorded test over 24.7.

I am almost afraid to say what I have gotten because I got blasted just the other day by members of this forum!

Our longest trip was to NW Iowa from NW Ohio. I averaged 18MPG. I do not speed with the camper, but hold it around 55-60MPH.

I have gotten as high as a shade under 30MPG SOLO. This occurred on the Natchez Trace Pkwy So we weren't going 65-70MPH but the posted speed limit of 50MPH! General driving, we average 22-24MPG.

I went on a quick trip to Alabama this summer and averaged 24MPG driving 70+ My sister couldn't believe I got that good of milage so she checked it herself!

The camper is a Sundance 3200RE so the weight is roughly 11,000lbs.

The truck is a 2006 Dodge 2500 Quad.
The only mod is the Banks Exhaust. It is NOT a 4WD which I feel I really do not need.

By keeping my speed down (what's the hurry) and NOT stopping/starting but to keep rolling does help the fuel milage. I use the Cruise Control a lot, and I start out as if there is an egg under my pedal!

I have been VERY pleased with this truck and have no reason to exaggerate the milage I have been getting. To date I have 58,600miles and change the oil (synthetic) every 10,000 miles! And watch the air pressure of all 8 tires! (Truck and camper)

2008 Ford Super Duty 6.4 L deisel (stock) pulling 7200# North Trail 5th wheel 28BH -
I get 8 mpg & 16 mpg without trailer

Last edited:

suark

2006 GMC Dmax/Ally CCSB 2500HD, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, EGR blocked, EFI Live 60 RWHP tow tune by Nick @ duramaxtuner.com, Transgo Jr., 33x12.5x18 Toyo MT's, pulling 2009 Sundance 3300BHS. I don't know the weight yet, took 1 trip towing at 70-80mph I averaged 14.3. Empty I get 18, 20 with the stock tires/wheels. It's a rocket with that tune in it, even pulling the camper, and I get better mileage towing.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
2006 GMC Dmax/Ally CCSB 2500HD, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, EGR blocked, EFI Live 60 RWHP tow tune by Nick @ duramaxtuner.com, Transgo Jr., 33x12.5x18 Toyo MT's, pulling 2009 Sundance 3300BHS. I don't know the weight yet, took 1 trip towing at 70-80mph I averaged 14.3. Empty I get 18, 20 with the stock tires/wheels. It's a rocket with that tune in it, even pulling the camper, and I get better mileage towing.
70-80 mph towing:eek:. Wow! I didn't see any aftermarket brake improvements. It would be interesting to say the least to have to make an emergency stop at that speed. I guess I'm just getting too old.;)

cwgentry7

Love Camping
We just started camping this April 2009, pulling a 13,330# 5th wheeler with a stock 2010 F350 CC/LB/DW 6.4liter diesel. We get 9 to 10 mpg loaded and 15 to 16 empty.

Jean and Wayne
Chesapeake, VA
2010 Landmark, Oakmont
2010 F350 CC/LB/DW

caissiel

What is the rated speed of trailer tires. as for brakes, I can drag all 4 wheels if I set my brake controler set on high.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I believe all ST Tires are rated at 65 mph. As for setting the controller higher, is there ever time in an emergency stop to fumble with the buttons on a controller let alone find the darn thing??:eek:;)

LilGTO71

Re: Better call Dodge!!

I guess I'm pretty light footed but I'm getting about 13 MPG on the highway and 10 city or stop n go. I feel lucky with that. With no rig, about 25+ hwy, 16 city

porthole

Retired
2006 GMC Dmax/Allison, Banks stuff, tuner, turbo back 4" exhaust, cold air ram intake, Transgo shift kit.
I also replaced my tires and wheels on the truck, removed the stock 16" 245's and replaced with 17' 265's.
These are about 2.5 " taller and lower (numerically) the gear ratio. i think may hurt the mileage a bit.
Cyclone 3010 at about 14K.

My mileage towing averages 10. Not towing anywhere between 13.5 average (winter blend diesel) to a high of 19+ if I do 55 (almost never) I get about 16-18 with a 50/50 mix of city highway and on the highway doing about 70-80 (morning commute, got to keep up).

Coming back from Indiana with trailer I did 100-125 mile MPG checks trying the speed at 55-60-65 and 70-75. Tried it in tow mode, tow mode off (to get 6th gear at 55-60). My mileage averaged 10 MPG. Also varied the Banks setting from no increase to the +20, +40 and +60% increases

As far as all the hoopla surrounding the truck upgrades - I don't the exhaust, exhaust manifold, intake and tuner did anything for mileage.

Although with my motorcycle trailer I did notice a 2 mpg increase with 2 almost identical trips to western North Carolina and back.

Jim-n-Leslie

Over the past year I have been driving my truck after adding a Banks Power manager mod. Originally I was averaging 9.6 mpg diesel while towing and 10 mpg when not towing. With the Banks installed and driving while both towing and not, I am averaging 11.9 mpg towing and 12.2 when not. That is a 24% increase while towing and a 22% increase when not towing. I would have expected the "not towing" value to be a bit higher rather than a bit lower, but that's okay. I'm still good with the numbers.

Tell us what kind of truck: 2006 Ford F350 SuperDuty Lariat 6.0 l Diesel Crew Cab
Any mods that you may have done: Banks Power Econominder module w/Banks iQ dashboard PC; Stable Load leaf spring blocks; front & rear Mag-Hytec differential covers w/Royal Purple synthetic gear oil; Poweraid air intake spacer; AirRaid air intake system; Silverline dual exhaust mod, and 5000 mile Ford recommended routine scheduled maintenance using Rotella T6 synthetic motor oil.
The weight of your trailer: 12500 lbs

I tow with Tow/Haul on and it is off when I am not towing. This may negatively impact the towing mpg, but that is an accepted trae-off for safety. Some of the mods may be questionable as mods, but in the end, everything ties together to provide the resultant mileage, so I consider it worth noting. :D

Jim :cool:

ihsolutions

For my combo in signature, I'm getting right around 11mpg average towing at 65-67mph. Some trips as high as 13.5, some as low as 9.5 (strong headwind), but most longer trips end up right around 11mpg.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Time for a "light weight" to chime in.
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with Hemi (gas) and factory tow package. (oh yea, a K&N air filter & I run syntheric oil)
Dragging a Northtrail 21fbs (app. 5500#)
I get 11.5 at 55 mph.
It's all about speed and wind drag...8.5 at 65mph
So guess what? I'm not in a hurry, I'll drive 55 to be safe and efficient!

sgtbigb

I check my 2010 Dodge 3500 SWD 4/4 mega cab at 62 miles per hour with no tow and got 18.5 MPG. While towing the Landmark at Appx 15000 lbs I get 10 to 11 MPG depending which way the wind is blowing.