What kind of MPG do you get whle towing?

2010augusta

An interesting side note to see is towing and mileage with tow/haul modes on and off. I use tow/haul 100% of the time when the Landmark is attached.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Also the air temperature and rolling drag from the wheels / tires effects mileage. I gained an additional mpg by replacing the stock intercooler with a much large, highly efficient unit. Also, run 100 psi in the rear (drivers) tires (singles are more efficient then duals). Thinking about going to 120 psi in the drivers to see what different this will make. With the other mods (efficiency driven) I average 11 to 13 mpg towing (up to 14 on the flatland) with the equipment in the signature.

MC9

F250 5.4 gas 3.73 rear end pulling my 98 30ft. Alpenlite about 7K miles per year for 10 years have avg. between 9 and 10 MPG. Our new 2900MK is more aerodynamic, but I put a 4.10 rear end in so, til I head to Green Valley, AZ I won't know if I do as well. This truck has always done a little better than most. Keeping my fingers crossed.

JWG

2009 3400RL (approx weight 13,000), 2005 Duramax with 5" exhaust, running in tow mode, with cruise control set, four people onboard, on basically level ground at about 65 to 70 mph, I get from 9.5 to 10... Thats with all tires at there cold rating (80 psi) except the front truck tires, they are set at 55...

trvlrerik

08 F350 srw 4X4, 09 Cyclone 3912, average weight total 24500, if I can keep the rpm below 3k (65 mph) 11.5 mpg. On big hills or mountains keeping speeds above 60 costs me, I have dropped to 5 mpg in the Ozarks. I have not seen much difference in mpg in the tow/haul mode. Running solo I have gotten 17mpg on the highway.

KHinson

2008 F450 King Ranch
With an 08 F450, 4.88 Gears, pulling a 07 3795 Cyclone at around 16K lbs, I get between 6-8 Miles per gallon. When its just the F450, I get about 10 around town, maybe as high as 12 on the highway. I tow at no higher than 65mph and when just the F450 I also keep it about 65 mph.

It's a great truck but its painful to feed!

Keith

brunsje

I am almost afraid to say what I have gotten because I got blasted just the other day by members of this forum!

Our longest trip was to NW Iowa from NW Ohio. I averaged 18MPG. I do not speed with the camper, but hold it around 55-60MPH.

I have gotten as high as a shade under 30MPG SOLO. This occurred on the Natchez Trace Pkwy So we weren't going 65-70MPH but the posted speed limit of 50MPH! General driving, we average 22-24MPG.

I went on a quick trip to Alabama this summer and averaged 24MPG driving 70+ My sister couldn't believe I got that good of milage so she checked it herself!

The camper is a Sundance 3200RE so the weight is roughly 11,000lbs.

The truck is a 2006 Dodge 2500 Quad.
The only mod is the Banks Exhaust. It is NOT a 4WD which I feel I really do not need.

By keeping my speed down (what's the hurry) and NOT stopping/starting but to keep rolling does help the fuel milage. I use the Cruise Control a lot, and I start out as if there is an egg under my pedal!

I have been VERY pleased with this truck and have no reason to exaggerate the milage I have been getting. To date I have 58,600miles and change the oil (synthetic) every 10,000 miles! And watch the air pressure of all 8 tires! (Truck and camper)

buckeyebob

pullin 10000 loaded 2900mk 07 cc dura max/allison 373 11.5-12.4 stop and go and hills.14.2 once flat ground ,empty 5er.average about11.7

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We get 95 towing and 120 solo in our new 2010 Ford F350. Oops, for got the decimal point. 9.5 and 12.0.:D:D:D

michael_s

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 short bed with an edge performance chip, Pro 7 filter, and 4 in exhaust. When pulling my new 3355RL from Missouri to Colorado I averaged 14 mpg.

Duramax1

I think that we are beginning to see some wishful numbers being posted. Up until now the numbers posted have been the most honest that I have seen posted on any forum.

gdog

gdog
The numbers I posted are those that the computer on the truck spits out.
I have to admit I drive the posted speed limits on flat highways. These trips were completed six times over the past summer and the truck was very consistent the entire time.
I have heard that the newer duramax with the particulate filters are harder on fuel. Thats why I bought it before the new ones were the only trucks left on the lot.
gdog
gdog

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have heard before that a lot of people tow their trailer at 55 mph and got great gas mileage. I did also. I had a friend that we were traveling with to Georgia. He had to stop and fix something and told us to go on ahead. I kept my speed at 55 mph and was getting about 13 or 14 mpg on my fact o meter. Only problem was when I started to go up a rise in the road the truck would shift down and my mileage would drop conciderably. Normally I like to increase my speed a bit before I start up a good rise in the road to keep from dropping down one gear. I can get a good consistant 9-10 mpg if I keep my speed between 63 & 65.

We are now in Kerrville TX on the way here we were in a strong cross wind and head wind as well as some good hills. I have not filled up yet but I use almost 3/4 of a tank which is 45gal. We traveled about 248 miles from Fort Stockton TX. I figure I used about 30 gal making that trip. If I dropped below 60 mph the truck would down shift to a lower gear and I had to slow down to about 50-55 many times because of the wind.

I don't care what the mpg I get as long as my truck is running well and I have enough fuel to get to my destination.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The highest I've seen on the computer without the trailer is 18.8. With the trailer, 11 - 12 on flat highway at 65 mph. Once I get into the hills north of West Branch, MI, it drops to 9 - 10. With the onboard computer, you need to reset it before starting out, or it will average in whatever driving you were doing before hauling or vice versa.

gdog

gdog
The one thing I have noticed is that I target that 1600-1700 rpm range where the duramax is achieving its maximum torgue. For me that is about 105 km/h.
For sure if we were hitting lots of hills I am sure this number would drop.
I also noticed that once I had around 35000kms on the engine that the mileage improved slightly. As well, if I am not pulling the fifth wheel and cruise along at 120-130km/h my mileage drops significantly.
gdog

trvlrerik

Does anybody else not trust the onboard mpg computer? When I first got my truck it appeared to be close but I never checked. Once pulling, I drove by a fuel stop because my computer said 100+ miles before empty, and then watched the gauge drop like a stone and limped into a station after 30 miles.

Now I do the math and know when I have to stop, the average mpg the computer figures is sometimes not even close (at least for me).

mict1341

07.5 3500 Dodge quadcab DRW no mods only 7500 miles average 10-12 pulling my 3300sk 70mph flatlands of kansas probably would get better if I would unhook the EGR and do the DPF delets but its still under warranty

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are depending on the vehicle computer then you will probably not be accurate. The computer uses averages over the previous miles so it could be way off. Do the math yourself and you will find the real figures. Divide the gallons into the miles driven and you will find the real figure.