What kind of MPG do you get whle towing?

imchud

2005 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel, No Mods - w/196.000.00 miles - Just getting broken in,:D... B/H 3385, about 14,000 lbs loaded, plus 7,500 lbs for the truck, so approx 21,500 lbs gross... while towing I get around 12.5 to 13 mph "if flat" - I once got 14 mpg but i'm not sure how...
I get 22 to 23 mpg not towing. :D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I use the onboard computer mileage to determine how my mileage and engine is running. After calculating the mileage by hand I find that I am actually getting about 1 - 2 mpg less than what the onboard computer. What I do find out is that my truck is pulling hard because of a real slight grade or I am running into a wind. Had a real long grade in Montana and was wondering why the truck was down shifting and the fuel mileage was getting down to about 7.5. Didn't realize that we were puling up a grade.

I also found that I was getting poor gas mileage when pulling the trailer. What it turned out to be was the Fuel Injector Control Module on the truck was bad and not setting the proper fuel mixture while pulling the trailer. I also found out that the ERG valve was coked up and needed to be cleaned or replaced. I had it replaced under warranty.

BC

I wish it was good! I'm lucky to get 8mpg towing our Cyclone 4012. But then I have a Ford F-450 with 4.88 axles. Then again I only get around 13 MPG driving around town (again, if I'm lucky!). I should buy a Smartcar for shopping trips! ;)

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
... the average mpg the computer figures is sometimes not even close (at least for me).

Let me guess...Ford, right?! :D :D

Taking a road trip for the next 5 days, w/o the Cyclone. It's still parked in NE Nebraska. I left there tonight after work and am currently enroute to OKC (89 more miles), tomorrow heading to Santa Fe, NM (Glorieta) , Co Springs Sunday, then back to Nebraska on Monday! Bucking a strong head wind and averaging 15.2! :eek:

rick_debbie_gallant

rather long, full of guano!

I am getting 'bout 21 to 22 mpg while running just the truck and no 5er.
Now when I have the 5er hooked up I am gettin 'bout 22.5 mpg while towing on the interstate, but only when the wind is above 30 knots true and coming off the beam. As my speed picks up the apparent wind angle moves forward and the apparent wind speed picks up to 50 knots. This big difference in mpg is because of the "sloop rig" I have set up on the 5er (knot enough room to do on just the pick up to install one) .
Now, when the wind is coming from behind me I have to douse the sloop rig and my mpg drops to 'bout 10 to 11 mpg.
By the way, this system only works when I am in the open country, on flat land and there are zero tree, bridge and or power line problems.
BTW, I am currently working on a power generation system that will power a set of electric drive axles on the 5er. This would amount to a turbine device that would work on the principle of concentrating the incoming air that would turn a generator. Depending on the size of your coach there could be up to three of them, one every 10 feet and staggered on the roof.
This generator would in turn power the electric drive axle on the coach. Any excess power generated would go into a very large battery bank under the coach and be used when not traveling above the required 55mph, which would be the speed needed to generate enough wind to power the wind turbine to turn the generator. I am sorry, I can't explain any further, not until I have my patent.:D:angel::D

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I am getting 'bout 21 to 22 mpg while running just the truck and no 5er.
Now when I have the 5er hooked up I am gettin 'bout 22.5 mpg while towing on the interstate, but only when the wind is above 30 knots true and coming off the beam. As my speed picks up the apparent wind angle moves forward and the apparent wind speed picks up to 50 knots. This big difference in mpg is because of the "sloop rig" I have set up on the 5er (knot enough room to do on just the pick up to install one) .
Now, when the wind is coming from behind me I have to douse the sloop rig and my mpg drops to 'bout 10 to 11 mpg.
By the way, this system only works when I am in the open country, on flat land and there are zero tree, bridge and or power line problems.
BTW, I am currently working on a power generation system that will power a set of electric drive axles on the 5er. This would amount to a turbine device that would work on the principle of concentrating the incoming air that would turn a generator. Depending on the size of your coach there could be up to three of them, one every 10 feet and staggered on the roof.
This generator would in turn power the electric drive axle on the coach. Any excess power generated would go into a very large battery bank under the coach and be used when not traveling above the required 55mph, which would be the speed needed to generate enough wind to power the wind turbine to turn the generator. I am sorry, I can't explain any further, not until I have my patent.:D:angel::D

Now that there's funny...don't care who ya are!!!:D

Any Jeep Commander Owners?

Love this thread. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander and am picking up my very first trailer tomorrow! It's a North Trail 28RLS. I am anxious to hear if there are any other Commander owners who already tow--and what your mileage is. Thanks!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
SunshineKim, you might not have to worry about mileage if you invest in Ricks roof mounted turbo gererator w/Dual Turbo Electric Drive Axles. Based on the size of your rig, you should only need two of them. I believe that the storage battery bank is an option.
Congrats on your new North Trail. Have fun with it.
Peace
Dave

rgirouard

Mpg

Picked up our rig Jun 10 this year. Traveled from Batavia, OH to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, Arkansas, back to Missouri and then home to the Rio Grand Valley in South Texas. Not sure about weight but close to 16K.
2010 BH3610

2003 Dodge Dually 5.9L Diesel, 6 Speed Manual Tranny and Jake Brake. Got high of 13.7 and low of 11.4. Averaged of 12.81. That was going 55 mph except on our last leg towards home when I went 65+ (anxious to get home) and that was my lowest (11.4)

jjbowl

2008 f250 crew cab short box 2 wheel drive
430 rear end
v-10 gasser
timbrens
2008 3400 rl Bighorn 14000 lbs
trail air tri glide

We usually pull 55-60 mph
Tach is 1900

We vary depending on wind spped and direction but probably average 9 mpg. Have gotten up to 12 on flat lands and down to seven on big hills or major headwind.

Jim-n-Leslie

My two cents' worth...

I pull a BH 3350RL, 11.5K-12K (est.), with a 2006 Ford F350 Superduty Crew Cab Turbo Diesel, generally along the East Coast (sometimes hilly, but generally flat). I average 11.2 mpg without a tow and 10.1 while towing. I'm not sure if this is considered good, bad, or otherwise, but I will say that it beats the alternative if I were driving a towing equivalent, gas-guzzler that requires premium gas or if I were driving a motor home that gets 7-9 mpg. I'm good with what I have.
Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ok guys... Lets hold this thread up until I get back to Dallas and can get my hip waders on... If we keep this up some one is going to start making fuel and selling it to the rest of us that can only get 9 mpg up a 30% grade.

Heck I got 99.9 mpg on my onboard computer..:D Going down hill, I got 5 mpg and though it might go to 0 mpg going up hill... But that was when I had to let go of the mules..:rolleyes:

Ok.. Maybe we will wake up from this dream very soon.... Hee Heee Heee ;)

hddcyclone

My truck is an 06 3500 Ram with a 2.5 inch lift, 35x12.50 rubber, and 4.10s. I've got an AFE Stage 2 intake, 4 inch exhaust w/no cat, and a MADS Smarty chip (70 hp), ISSPRO gauges monitoring boost, egts, and tranny temp. Weighing 24k (Cyclone, Harley, truck/garage full of tools), at 60-70 I've gotten 11-12.5. Last time i pulled it on I-94, Fargo, ND to Beulah, ND, 1500 ft elevation increase and a 15-20 mph headwind, cruise set on 75-78 got 8-9.5. Not terrible considering i left the cruise set and only dropped 3mph on the steepest grade, never downshifted once. I've found with my truck, 65 to 70 is where you want to be, below that I cant get enough boost to make it up steep grades without downshifting.

airedale

crossing minnesota 3 weeks ago with my new [therefore unloaded but for water and propane] 3055......no headwind....occasional damp road......hwy 2 is a lot smoother than those interstates......travelling 55-60......07 3500 duramax crew long box 4x4 dually.....very lightly chipped.........in this situation and this is the only one i checked, i managed 12.5 miles per U.S. gallon and this made me a very happy camper [pun intended]........going from the Hat to crowsnest pass was another story....easy to see why all the wind turbines are out there

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
2004.5 Dodge 3500 quad cab dually, 2wd, Cummins, 6 speed manual, AFE stage II intake, 4" performance muffler, Bully dog programmer on Tow/econo.

This is what I get hand calculated in my dually. I run at 58 mph pulling trailers and 62 running empty.

22 - 23 empty
14 - 15 pulling mid profile 5th wheels like Sundance
11 - 13 pulling full profile 5th wheels like BC, BH & LM
8 - 10 pulling park models
10+ pulling travel trailers depending on type nose..... 10 pulling trailers like north country, 14 - 15 pulling trailers like the North Trail.

Aerodynamics, wind and driving speed factor into fuel milage much more than weight.

Even in my F800 Haul and Tow truck I can get 9 mpg with 2 travel trailers and 13 mpg empty running 55 - 58 mph. Add a head wind or run 65 mph when loaded and fuel economy will drop to as low as 6 mpg.

caissiel

I have been traveling south and been getting a little above 11 MPG. I met an other camper pulling a 4000Lbs lite TT trailer with a Tacoma 6Cyl and he barely gets 11 MPImpG, translated to 9 MPG US. So I am satisfied. With my previous trailer 4000Lbs less, I was getting about the same millage. Most suprised in the handling in the hilly Interstate roads, and on the flat ran 65-70 all the way.

lwmcguir

We get around 6-8 mpg pulling our larger trailers with the 7.3 trucks and 9-11 with the 6.0. Running 60-70 based on roads and traffic. Throw in the wind and we drop at least 2 mpg. This would be in long hills and some side roads. All tire at the proper pressure and easy driving. Wish we could increase it 25% or so.