What the....

Cands

I have an r345 oakmont with 2 dometic single zone thermostats. I get it that the one in the central part of the rv turns on the furnace, however, what does the one in the bedroom control as the thing just seems to make the roof unit and fan turn on?

danemayer

Hi Cands,

If you have 2 thermostats, you probably have two air conditioners. One thermostat controls both the furnace and one of the air conditioners. Usually that would be the air conditioner for the living room. The other thermostat controls just the 2nd air conditioner, usually the bedroom. If both units are ducted together, the only clue to how the air conditioners are running might be the noise made by fans and compressors.

I've heard of a few model/floor plans where the thermostat that controls the furnace is located in the bedroom.

Most air conditioners are just air conditioners. Others are heat pumps which can either heat or cool, and others may come with heat strips. So it's possible your 2nd thermostat may do more than just cool, depending on how the rig was ordered. But again, most are just air conditioners.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have an r345 oakmont with 2 dometic single zone thermostats. I get it that the one in the central part of the rv turns on the furnace, however, what does the one in the bedroom control as the thing just seems to make the roof unit and fan turn on?

Is your AC unit in the bedroom also a heat pump o have a heat strip installed? The heat strip is basically a heater element inside the AC unit that uses the fan to move the air across it. A heat pump is basically an AC unit with an extra set of valves that reverse the heat transfer to heat the inside and send cooler air outside. (AC in reverse).

Cands

Is your AC unit in the bedroom also a heat pump o have a heat strip installed? The heat strip is basically a heater element inside the AC unit that uses the fan to move the air across it. A heat pump is basically an AC unit with an extra set of valves that reverse the heat transfer to heat the inside and send cooler air outside. (AC in reverse).

I don't know. I have no documentation to that effect, but if it were, it would be a bonus. Is there a way to determine that visually?