What type of gas and elec refrigerator is in the Big Horn 3870FB

Hello All,
This is my first time using the forum, I am purching a Big Horn 3870FB shortly, and would like to know what type of gas and elec refrigerator is in that model. Unfortunately I'm not near a dealer to just go and look. I know some have a icemakers and most don't. I heard there is a kit for that. Can you help? :confused:

Thanks.
Ole-Geezer

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have a 2017 3270RS BH with a Norcold 2118 18 cu ft unit. I’d assume that same unit is still in use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

If I had a choice I would have gotten the residential refer vs our Nevercold 2118. Ice cream is very soft!!!! Uses more electricity, trips the recall box once in a while, and has to be reset with a magnet. If we end up roofing and leaving the trailer in our NW RV Part, we will put in a residential refer.

travelin2

Very satisfied with ours especially after the thermostat failed and was replaced to a different location than original.
Ours is set on 6. In the morning after the doors have been closed all night the temp will be in the low 30s. Ice cream and all else stays frozen

NYSUPstater

One thought on the ice cream. If the freezers are frost free, then ic may not freeze up 100%. Our old 8 cu ft gas/elect would freeze ic solid!!! :) Really haven't played w/ the new 18 cu ft gas/elect, but does keep frozen items frozen albeit ic isn't 100% frozen. Fridge items right at temp. We could have gone w/ the res fridge, but my mentality is if you ever loose power, it will still run/cool on gas. No problems w/ tripping anything.

Gary521

Very satisfied with ours especially after the thermostat failed and was replaced to a different location than original.
Ours is set on 6. In the morning after the doors have been closed all night the temp will be in the low 30s. Ice cream and all else stays frozen

Where was the thermostat moved to? Are we talking the rear fan thermostat or the inner thermistor?

travelin2

One thought on the ice cream. If the freezers are frost free, then ic may not freeze up 100%. Our old 8 cu ft gas/elect would freeze ic solid!!! :) Really haven't played w/ the new 18 cu ft gas/elect, but does keep frozen items frozen albeit ic isn't 100% frozen. Fridge items right at temp. We could have gone w/ the res fridge, but my mentality is if you ever loose power, it will still run/cool on gas. No problems w/ tripping anything.

Well I can tell you the freezer is NOT frost free. After our 3-4 month trips, once home the unit is emptied and turned off so all the ice on the rear wall of the freezer can melt.
We discovered the best place in the freezer to keep ice cream solid/hard is the bottom shelf left hand side. Also the brand of ice cream makes a difference!

Where was the thermostat moved to? Are we talking the rear fan thermostat or the inner thermistor?

Rear THERMOSTAT...
0f28489f42abcb8e68aec6422bb42426.jpg

The piece of blue tape marks approximate location of original...
4fbd9347a944a31a2c0edafcd3aa30de.jpg

SNOKING

I changed mine to a low turned on temperature switch. Can not remember exactly what I ended up with. Fans run a lot more often and refer works better. These type refer do not work well in slides. When vented via the roof, they get a better chimney effect to move air across the fins. In a slide the air flow has to exit out of the slide of the slide. They is a lot of cases did not install the baffles well and block sides of the box with insulation. Chris