What's behind the Washer?

Cands

I've got a leak. It isn't where the hoses fit into the valves. It seems to be behind the panel. It's not bad, but its wet the floor. The question is before i unstack the dryer and pull the washer out, rake off the wooden panel, whats back there? What would be dripping??

mlpeloquin

Re: Who really turns the water faucet off after every wash - Ariston Washer

PEX pipe and crimp connections. You can replace with Shark Bite fittings. Also at home I installed a Watts Intellaflow valve. When it senses current it turns the water valves on. It also has a water sensor to put in the pan under the washer to turn the valves off when the washer develops a leak or the hoses fail. Used mostly back east in homes with washers in the house itself instead of the basement. This could be done in the rig when you do not have access to the valves do to stacked washer and dryer.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6nswbdxuv0_e

Cands

I've got a leak. It isn't where the hoses fit into the valves. It seems to be behind the panel. It's not bad, but its wet the floor. The question is before i unstack the dryer and pull the washer out, rake off the wooden panel, whats back there? What would be dripping??
Can i get at this by taking a wall down in the basement? ?

olcoon

While I will never put a washer in the Sundance, I do turn the washer water off after each use at the ranch. Had a buddy leave for 2 weeks from his Amarillo home...came back to water running out into the street...washer hose broke and flooded his home....His water bill was over a $1,000 not to mention his home had to be gutted...

I turn the water off ever since that experience was shared..

Sounds like he doesn't have very good neighbors!

danemayer

Doubtful. If the washer is in front, you probably have to take down the front wall of the closet, or the wall behind the washer.

NHCelt

I had the leak there and it was the drain pipe trap not being tightened enough. I removed the washer/dryer unit and tightened the P trap, and also added some silicone self-bonding tape so it doesn't shake loose in the future.

I do not recall any water feed connections behind the wall in there.

mlpeloquin

You have to unscrew the plastic molded frame that holds the washer faucet on. Pull up and out and the pex is exposed. As mentioned above it could be your washer drain at the trap. So yes you have to remove the washer and dryer. A bit of a pain but not so bad a job.

I also remember an access panel at the bottom that is screwed as well.

Cands

You have to unscrew the plastic molded frame that holds the washer faucet on. Pull up and out and the pex is exposed. As mentioned above it could be your washer drain at the trap. So yes you have to remove the washer and dryer. A bit of a pain but not so bad a job.

Do I assume that there is no elbow but rather nothing but hose that runs to the spickets at the top? Could the drip be coming from below where they hook onto the washer?

Cands

The carpet behind the washer is wet. The hoses from the washer to the faucets is dry. The faucets themselves are dry. However, at the bottom of the floor, it's wet. I'm thinking that there is a drip BEHIND the wall where the lines come up to the faucets. This is an Oakmont where the right, front closet is pre-plumbed. My question, before I take out the dryer and washer to get to the four screws holding the wooden face plate on it, is whether there is a couple of elbows OR if it's simply a line that comes from the tanks to the faucets themselves? OR is it possible that the Splendid actually leaks?

Westwind

You might want to get your vin number and call the factory since they know exactly what is behind the wall, but could it be that the leak is inside of the washer??

Cands

Is there an elbow in there OR is it just one line to the faucets?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

If you have a leak, there is no way around it you will have to pull the washer/dryer out and take a look.
Then all of your questions will be answered.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

At least in my rig (3010RE) there is a false wall. I took that out and moved services around to the side wall. Gives more room front to back of washer.

I had had that same drip after installing my washer. What I found was the brass valve HL used had a nub on it that kept the water connection from being able to be turned tight enough to seal. That nub made me think it was tight when the hose fitting was just hitting the nub

solution was to double washer the fitting. This allowed the fitting to seal before I hit the nup

this was the other motivation to change the fittings and move it....while the double washer worked I did not feel there were enough threads engaged.

Cands

At least in my rig (3010RE) there is a false wall. I took that out and moved services around to the side wall. Gives more room front to back of washer.

I had had that same drip after installing my washer. What I found was the brass valve HL used had a nub on it that kept the water connection from being able to be turned tight enough to seal. That nub made me think it was tight when the hose fitting was just hitting the nub

solution was to double washer the fitting. This allowed the fitting to seal before I hit the nup

this was the other motivation to change the fittings and move it....while the double washer worked I did not feel there were enough threads engaged.

Yep. Did that twice. That drip left a tale-tell sign of heavy dampness around the connection which when I took a pair of water pumps to it after putting new rubbers in it, took care of it. This time, none of that. Just a damp carpet which makes me think maybe behind the panel?

Garypowell

The biggest pain is getting the washer out...and then climbing around it repeatedly......after that a few tugs and that false wall comes out.....

any chance you just have not dried out yet?

another thing I did once I pulled the washer out and the wall down is I pulled the carpet out and put down some sticky tiles....gave it an overall better look.

Also so not knowing about those leak pans many have installed I bought some "shower pan" material and built my own drip pan for any future leaks.

It is made such that the water is brought to the front of the washer so I visibly see any water.......and yes I turn off the water (installed my own valves) after we are done using it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
OR is it possible that the Splendid actually leaks?
I just re-read you posts, and yes that is a possibility.
Do you have a drip pan under your washer? If not, you might want to think about that when you pull the washer out.

Peace
Dave

Cands

I just re-read you posts, and yes that is a possibility.
Do you have a drip pan under your washer? If not, you might want to think about that when you pull the washer out.

Peace
Dave

No, this drip pan thing for a washer is baffling to me. Where and why does a leak from a washing machine come from, especially one that is sealed?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The machine isn't "sealed." A hose can tear or come loose. The water distribution assembly can crack. And you'll know it when either the carpet is soaked or water is dripping off the kingpin, or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk