What's your favorite carry weapon?

RollingHome

Sailor, just to reduce heartburn, I would carry the ammo and gun in seperate areas, i.e. trunk and cab or behind the truck seat and on the seat. Just use common sense, the cop what's to see seperation. Eye protection, most ranges don't check it... but, think towing a 5th being blind is possible ? Check your glasses or ask your eye doctor if your glasses are rated as safety glasses. If not, throw a pair of "over your glasses" safety goggles on. It just takes a minute to protect or loose your site and I know what you want. Lastly, don't forget hearing protection. This can be simple foam plugs @ $.50 to $50.00 electronic muffs from Amazon. I prefere the Amazon route. Finally, not to sound like a paranoid nut... but, here in PA we had a fruitcake shoot a guy and take his gun. Translated, take a buddy with ya, even if it's your wife, who I'm sure is your bud ! Happy targets to ya !

Sailor

Tom, I will take your advice, and make sure that I separate guns and amino. Glasses are safty, and could not go with hearing protection DW say that I am already hard of hearing. I had never thought about being attacked at a rang, just goes to show you should always be on guard!

porthole

Retired
In New Jersey, unless you are LEO or have a CCP you can ONLY transport handguns between your residence and valid location, such as a range. They must be locked, out of reach and ammo locked and separate.

In New Jersey it is nearly impossible to get a CCP. Probably as hard as getting a class 3 for machine guns.

NJ State Police firearms info
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/firearms.html

Every range in Jersey requires eye and hearing protection.

You would be wise to join whatever pro gun groups you need to check travel though the states.

At the minimum. If you are not sure - Guns out of reach, locked and ammo out of reach and locked and separate.

You really need to be careful with state laws.

There are two major gun rights issues going on right now in New Jersey.

One involves a person who legally bought 2 pistols in Colorado and then moved to New Jersey. He was legally transporting them from one residence to a new residence. Was stopped on an unrelated matter. Arrested and went to trial. The judge would not allow most of the evidence that would exonerate him (anit gun judge). He was sentenced to 7 years in prison!

That judge has since been removed from the bench on an un-related matter.
And just last week the governor commuted the sentence to time served and is now considering a full pardon.

The other case involves a county prosecutor member who won a Marlin tube fed 22 rifle. Well those old Marlins held a few rounds more then the legal “clip” law of 15. The prosecutor has now become his own worst nightmare and has been battling the ramifications for about 5-6 years now.

Join the NRA
Join the USSCA http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In New Jersey, unless you are LEO or have a CCP you can ONLY transport handguns between your residence and valid location, such as a range. They must be locked, out of reach and ammo locked and separate.

In New Jersey it is nearly impossible to get a CCP. Probably as hard as getting a class 3 for machine guns.

NJ State Police firearms info
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/firearms.html

Every range in Jersey requires eye and hearing protection.

You would be wise to join whatever pro gun groups you need to check travel though the states.

At the minimum. If you are not sure - Guns out of reach, locked and ammo out of reach and locked and separate.

You really need to be careful with state laws.

There are two major gun rights issues going on right now in New Jersey.

One involves a person who legally bought 2 pistols in Colorado and then moved to New Jersey. He was legally transporting them from one residence to a new residence. Was stopped on an unrelated matter. Arrested and went to trial. The judge would not allow most of the evidence that would exonerate him (anit gun judge). He was sentenced to 7 years in prison!

That judge has since been removed from the bench on an un-related matter.
And just last week the governor commuted the sentence to time served and is now considering a full pardon.

The other case involves a county prosecutor member who won a Marlin tube fed 22 rifle. Well those old Marlins held a few rounds more then the legal “clip” law of 15. The prosecutor has now become his own worst nightmare and has been battling the ramifications for about 5-6 years now.

Join the NRA
Join the USSCA http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Just another reason to avoid NJ when traveling.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Help please!

The wife and I are going to start fulltiming in Feb. 2011. I am a Vietnam vet. I am familiar with rifles obviously. I own an old 30-30,a 22 and a 12 ga. shotgun, I got from my dad.(which is about 5 feet long!) I want to get a protection weapon to keep in the trailer. Preferably a handgun, if there isn't too much red tape.
We live in CA. May be doing extensive boondocking in the desert etc. Will probably travel the southwest and then up to Goshen in June.
My question is; can some one please boil all this down for me. The gun laws from state to state very greatly. Here is a link to wiki gun laws. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States. If I'm legal in one state, I may not be in another. Should I attempt to negotiate this mess, or just carry a long gun, which seems to be alot easier. Also, if the latter is the case, which is a good rifle to carry? OR, should I keep my Sears hand axe in the cupboard like I have been for years?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
First of all let me say that I do not know gun laws in all states. But....if you are going to carry a handgun in your trailer, who would know? You are not talking concealed carry here. The web link that you posted is of concern if you were to carry a concealed weapon. Having one in your trailer is not a concealed carry.
Then there are other things to consider. What if you had someone break in? Would you use it? Would you be justified in using it? To say that I feared for my life, may not be justification to use deadly force when you are standing before a judge.
Are you trained? What if you do shoot? Where is that bullet going? In the neighbors trailer? Lots to consider. Proper training is a must.
You will get lots of replys to your post I am sure. Some people that think they know the laws and some that actually do. You need to decide.
Having said all of that, if it were me I would rather see the bad guy laying on the floor than me.
See you in Goshen.

Peace
Dave

DW_Gray

Trace, although they are many RVers, including myself, carrying handguns in their RV for self defense, that does not necessarily mean that's the best choice. After seeing some good videos on the subject, I'm convinced that, especially for RVers, a shotgun with #6 bird shot is the wisest choice. Just about any good self defense handgun round will easily penetrate the walls of an RV and some will go all the way through. Unless you practice regularly with a handgun, I wouldn't recommend a handgun as the first choice of weapon. As for shotgun you got from your Dad, you may as well store it. It's too long for what you need. I suggest you buy a shotgun with the short barrel (18”) that's manufactured for self defense. A 12 or 20 gauge is recommended. It depends on what you feel you can control. You may want to have a few buckshot shells as a follow-up after the #6 bird shot. There are some self defense shotgun loads available that include buck shot. But again, I'd be concerned about the lead penetrating the RV and hitting your neighbor's.

If you have an intruder in your RV, that's really close range. Number 6 bird shot is more than adequate to stop an intruder at close range.

branson4020

Icantre Member
If you're not going to carry it, why screw around with a handgun? A 12 or 20 GA shotgun with a short barrel, even a pistol grip, is legal everywhere, far more lethal than a handgun, and certainly more useful for snakes, etc. when boondocking.

TandT

Thank you guys. All good info.

Dave Gray, I think I might go the route you suggested. I feel more comfortable with a shotgun than a handgun anyway. Had rifles since I was a kid. Your point about endangering others is a good one. Bird shot is certainly a deterrent.

"Cookie" Dave, I get your drift too. I've always been a live and let live person. There are just a few unsavory characters around that force good citizens to take precautions, especially when your with your loved ones and miles from any help.
Trace

Last edited:

DW_Gray

I e-mailed one of my friends who is retired LEO and now provides classes for CCW and self defense. Here is his response:

Dave, you are definitely right about over-penetration in an RV and even a house for that matter. A 9MM will go through at least 3 interior walls. In my tactical classes I stress not shooting at an intruder if he happens to be standing in front of a wall that has a child's bedroom on the other side.

As far as shotguns for self defense, 18 inch barrels are the way to go. A Remington 870 with a telescoping stock or a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip is easier to use in an RV and/or a boat. Bird shot works in the confines of an RV or boat, but I would have mine loaded with two bird shot shells and then a couple buck shot loads to follow up.

On a side note the Taurus Judge revolver fires .410 gauge defense loads made for "interior" self defense as well as .45 long Colts for outside.

Thanks for asking - I love to talk about guns.

TandT

I e-mailed one of my friends who is retired LEO and now provides classes for CCW and self defense. Here is his response:

Dave, you are definitely right about over-penetration in an RV and even a house for that matter. A 9MM will go through at least 3 interior walls. In my tactical classes I stress not shooting at an intruder if he happens to be standing in front of a wall that has a child's bedroom on the other side.

As far as shotguns for self defense, 18 inch barrels are the way to go. A Remington 870 with a telescoping stock or a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip is easier to use in an RV and/or a boat. Bird shot works in the confines of an RV or boat, but I would have mine loaded with two bird shot shells and then a couple buck shot loads to follow up.

On a side note the Taurus Judge revolver fires .410 gauge defense loads made for "interior" self defense as well as .45 long Colts for outside.

Thanks for asking - I love to talk about guns.

Dave, thank you. Great info.. My son-in-law is local LEO and although he is not real familiar with the RV environment, he suggested a short barrel shotgun,as well.

TandT

First of all let me say that I do not know gun laws in all states. But....if you are going to carry a handgun in your trailer, who would know? You are not talking concealed carry here. The web link that you posted is of concern if you were to carry a concealed weapon. Having one in your trailer is not a concealed carry.
Then there are other things to consider. What if you had someone break in? Would you use it? Would you be justified in using it? To say that I feared for my life, may not be justification to use deadly force when you are standing before a judge.
Are you trained? What if you do shoot? Where is that bullet going? In the neighbors trailer? Lots to consider. Proper training is a must.
You will get lots of replys to your post I am sure. Some people that think they know the laws and some that actually do. You need to decide.
Having said all of that, if it were me I would rather see the bad guy laying on the floor than me.
See you in Goshen.

Peace
Dave

Thank you Dave, see you in Goshen.

Tom of Ypsi

On a side note the Taurus Judge revolver fires .410 gauge defense loads made for "interior" self defense as well as .45 long Colts for outside. [/I][/QUOTE]

If you are down here in the Rio Grande Vallley, Tx you can only buy the chrome plated one unless the stores have restocked with the blued look. I know where the last blued Judge is but do not want to say where. Don't aks Don't tell.

Wmnmy

Carry weapon hk .45 - glock 40 /skatter barrel mossberg but I'm Leo . Have to qualify 4x year to carry in us plus put rounds down range on own time practice makes perfect laws differ in every state you have to check be safe and do what u have to to protect your family and property be safe .

Pulltab

A shotgun is an excellent choice for inside protection. Orientation of the firearm in close quarters could be a little more difficult in a rushed situation but safer for your neighbors. You can also buy fragmentation rounds for a handgun, Magsafe sells rounds that are pre-fragmentated. It has a case with shot pellets for its core over a solid slug of lead, penetration is excellent according to their reports and over penetration is held to a minimum. Your modern day defense ammo is designed to fully expand on penetration but can still make it thru your attacker. I think a point about other fragmentation rounds that explode on impact is depending on what the attacker is wearing is a critical part of how it works, heavy material like denim or such can cause the round to explode on contact of the material and not the flesh where you prefer, now granted that SHOULD be enough to discourage them but you have read all to many times about drug crazed people taking MULTIPLE rounds to vital areas and not slowing down.

ANYTHING is better than nothing, even if you were shooting rubber slugs!

Here is a link to frangible ammo http://frangiblebullets.com/xcart/Ammunition.html

OhioJay

Yes, a shotgun would be great to use. But where are you going to store that? Even a short barrelled shotgun is going to be cumbersome in an RV. In my opinion, the Judge is the way to go. It's escentially a small, hand-held shotgun(rather than shoulder fired). Very easy to store in the nightstand/safe/over-head compartment/etc. Even easy to use out hiking in the middle of nowhere. And you can purchase shot sizes in .410 just like .20 gauge or 12 gauge. The only difference is the shell is smaller, therefore fewer pellets. I use defense rounds in mine. #4 or #6 shot would work, too. Each would contain approx. 20 to 30 small pellets (guessing). After about 15 feet, the lethality would diminish. Remember that shot shell pellets are fired much slower than a bullet from a pistol. The slower the shot, the less penetration you will have.

After owning and shooting the judge, I'm convinced you could put a round through the floor, and that would do the trick. Anyone intruding/attacking would surely be scared and flee. It's loud. Very loud. I was at the range just after I purchased mine. I shot one round, and turned to look at my friend. We were both amazed. As I turned to fire another round, I could see folks leaning out of their shooting lanes, looking around, like "what the **** was that?".

Pulltab

Thats a great point Jay, the guy who works for me that has one loves it! His wife shoots it more than he does. LOL