Wheel Bearing Grease Seals

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I am finally getting around to putting disc brakes on our trailer. After talking with the vendor, he wanted to double check wheel bearing numbers. According to him, Lippert has some unusual bearing and spindle setups on some of their axles. Anyway, I had ordered 4 of the 10-36 seals a month or so ago (before realizing I was going to swap out the brakes this soon) so it gave me a good oppurtunity to check the differences in the cheaper seal vs. the C/Rs I intalled last year during a repack.

Big difference between the two seals, most notably in the frame.
The sealing surfaces are very different also. Both are double lipped but the spacing of the dust seal is different between the two.

Not saying which is better-just; in this case; you get what you pay for. So it cost 20 bucks to find out the difference. Chalk it up to a good education.

The C/R is on the right in the pictures below.

View attachment 12286View attachment 12287View attachment 12288View attachment 12289View attachment 12290

Oh, BTW, in case it helps anyone the bearing numbers are:
Inner-14125A
Outer-25580
This if for Lippert 6k axles-which I think from doing research are the same as 7k. The difference is in the spring pack only.

Interesting....I saw no differance between the lower cost seals I bought and the higher priced ones. I did see a cheaper seal for $3.99 offered no way near the quailty of my $4.45 seals.
Also my research through online and a local dealer shows a big differance between a 6000k and 7000k axel, (5200k and 6000k being the same seals)
I'd be interested to see your photos to compair but they won't open.
Thanks

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Try the pics now. I was editing the post.

Here is what I was basing the the fact that there is no difference from what I saw between the 6 and 7k axles.
http://approducts.net/48lippert.htm

Even though there is a difference in races on this chart, what I pulled out of mine match the 7k axles. The BC 3250 has got 6k axle under it according to the tag on the axle.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This if for Lippert 6k axles-which I think from doing research are the same as 7k. The difference is in the spring pack only.

This is not to dispute your findings, but when my 6k springs died and I went to the 7k spring pack I asked Lippert it the axle tubes were the same and was told no they are not. They have different part numbers and the wall thickness was not the same.
So I guess what I am saying is if anyone is going to change out their springs do the homework, things may change from year to year.

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
At this stage of my life unless I'm bored out of my mind, I will pay someone a reasonable fee to change my axle seals.

caissiel

The additional metal on the CR seal is the Oil shield that usually deflects the oil away from the rubber part of the seal. Most grease and oil seals we used on our equipment were designed like the E-Trailer unit and we hardly had any bad experiences by using them on grease. So I doubt we need the shield for use on our trailers, Besides its an area that will not be flushed out if we will use the zirk E-Z lub system. Grease will fill that area and possibly harden, so I would not use it on my Trailer.