Wheel Bearings

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bearing Repack

I just finished the repack on our bearings and found nothing out of the ordinary. All hubs had adequate grease and though I did find one hub a tad loose, I couldn't find any evidence of overheating on the bearings or races. The replacements seals were pretty pricey at $113.00 for 4. The aftermarket seals by CR are a much heavier duty seal (more metal). After about 6,000 miles on the rig there is about 3/16" of material left on the shoes. I imagine next year they'll need replacing. All in all an easy job.

Ray LeTourneau

The CR part number is 22558. I don't know a good way to describe the difference between seal. The CR seal had more metal.

C

Chulinw

I only paid $14.00 for each seal at NAPA. I didn't that was really bad price. I have the AL-KO axels on my Horn. I repack the bearing on my birth month so I don't forget. I do have CRS now and then.

jimtoo

Crs

Boy, that CRS is really working on Chulinw. :eek: Posted same thing again.:p
I hope it's not catching by reading.:D

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

My Lippert axles have a manufacturers label on them with model numbers and serial numbers. We don't have a NAPA nearby only a Weavers. I could have driven 35 miles but Weavers had em in stock. Just more convenient. The factory seals had no numbers at all anywhere on the seal. Weavers used a digital caliper to measure the seal and used those measurments to come up with a seal.

ChopperBill

The C/R 2258 seals are available in National. The number is 41290 and our bearing supply house has them for $9.30 @ and they apologized that they were so expensive.