Wheel bearings

NH5er

Just wondering if anyone has greased their Dexter EZ Lube bearings yet. I plan to as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer. Planning on using the Level up to lift each side. From what I have read that shouldn't be a problem.
Jim

mlpeloquin

Many people do, but you are taking a risk. I have used them to lift, but put 6x6, 4x4 platforms under the I beam and then a 12 ton jack stand. I let the stand have most of the weight. I have the wheels locked on the opposite side and the front hitched. Safety first. I didn't live this long to risk what is left.

Remove the tires, clean, and inspect the bearings along with the breaks. Manually repack the bearings. You can purchase a bearing greaser which makes it easy. Make sure you have a torque wrench to torque the lug nuts.

danemayer

The level up will lift the wheel off the ground so you can spin it while applying grease to the zerk.

As a safety practice, you don't want to get your body under the rig without additional support. It's also a good idea to do this on level ground, perhaps hitched up, with wheels chocked.

The potential issue with the EZ-Lube approach is that there's no way to know what's happening inside the hub. Maybe the new grease is displacing the old grease. Maybe the seal is not dislodged leading to grease on your brakes. Maybe the bearings are still in good shape.

If you don't take it all apart you're trusting in a lot of things being right.

Westwind

This is how I jacked my Bighorn up to do the bearings last spring when we returned from Snowbirding in Florida. I don't have a self leveling system on it and I had the truck hitched up. It might be overkill, but it worked out well.

DSCN0373.jpg

DSCN0374.jpg

JanAndBill

Just wondering if anyone has greased their Dexter EZ Lube bearings yet. I plan to as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer. Planning on using the Level up to lift each side. From what I have read that shouldn't be a problem.
Jim

Using the EZ Lube feature doesn't replace the need to doing a manual clean and pack of your bearings annually. If you've never disassembled and repacked your bearings you'll be pumping grease all day long. Dexter for some unknown reason leaves the entire center section of the hub empty. Since the EZ Lube feature puts grease between the seal and the rear bearing, you'll have to fill a lot of empty space before you EVER force grease through the front bearing. When you I repack my bearings I fill this void with grease so that the next time I use the EZ Lube feature it only takes a few pumps to get fresh grease into the outer bearing. As to jacking up the trailer. I have a long history of working on heavy equipment. The higher you raise something and the more blocks you use to do it the more unstable it is and the more likely to do serious damage if it falls. If you'll use an axle saddle on your bottle jack (I've made most of mine but you can buy one at most auto parts stores.} This way you only lift the weight off one tire, and only have to lift it an inch or so to clear. shopping.jpg

Westwind

My FW had about 12k on it before I pulled the wheels to check bearings and brakes, the bearings were well greased and the brakes were in excellent shape, I cleaned the bearings up, put new seals, cleaned the brakes and very lightly sanded the pads and shoes with a extremely fine grit sandpaper and blew everything out. My retired mechanic approved my work and then I put everything back together and torqued the lugs. First time I had ever done it and very proud of my work and self.

NH5er

Thanks for the responses. I figure I only have about 700 miles on mine as of now. Still want to get it done though.
jim

Rollin_Free

. Smart, better overkill than not...

X2 I always keep my truck connected when removing the wheels and using the front jacks as well. SAFETY SAFETY. I just don't want it to move at all when I'm under it. On a side note make sure you don't lift the trailer with the jack under the axle. You risk crushing the axle and then you'll have a real problem. My owners manual mentioned this and the pictures attached by others show you to lift the frame not the axles.

Also make sure you use a manual grease gun to add the grease. Do not use the air driven ones like the repairs shops use. The high pressure ones have blown the wheel seals and put unwanted grease in the hub. As you probably already know brake shoes and grease don't mix very well.

Nbomar

What is the torque spec on the center hub nut? I'm doing my bearing next weekend and am confident in everything, but I don't want to over or under torque that nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

What is the torque spec on the center hub nut? I'm doing my bearing next weekend and am confident in everything, but I don't want to over or under torque that nut.

Dexter service info for your question starts on the bottom of page 54 of this document.

Nbomar

Your link goes to a post about camping in pine trees in Illinois..???