wheel chocks

prae35

I have a new wilderness 2850bh and need opinions on how tight the wheel chocks should be on flat ground(prevent shaking and movement)

danemayer

Hi prae35,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. I'm sure you'll get some feedback soon.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I use the scissor chocks . . .

I try not to make them too tight . . . just tight enough to hold without putting too much strain on the tires.

JanAndBill

I know that the plastic kind will not stop a tire from rolling over them, and will collapse flat when rolled over. Don't ask :eek:

TxCowboy

+1 on the scissors jacks. They're steel so I don't worry too much about cranking them down. For added security, use the regular type of wheel chocks as well.

EDIT: LOL, read justafordguy's post below and he's right. I have the BAL as well and they are made of steel, not aluminum as I originally posted. :)

JohnD

are these really effective at preventing roll?

The scissor chocks seem to lock the trailer in place.

Those, along with added jacks, are what I use to stop the rockin' and rollin'.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg
    CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 348
  • CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2108.jpg
    CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2108.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 343
  • CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg
    CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 346
  • TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg
    TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 351

prae35

Thanks all. JOHND, you show using jack supports on the slide. I thought I read in the forum (somewhere) that heartland does not recommend this but I thought it would help.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
attachment.php

Homemade expandable chocks that I made a few years back. Work surprisingly well. Have used them on 3 rigs now. About $3 a peice. A few turns and they press outwards preventing any roll.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 296

JohnD

Thanks all. JOHND, you show using jack supports on the slide. I thought I read in the forum (somewhere) that heartland does not recommend this but I thought it would help.

I don't think it is Heartland that doesn't recommend them . . . but as with anything, there are many opinions for and against them.

I found that our previous trailer (the one pictured above) needed them to stabilize the trailer when the slide was out.

I kept them, but not sure if we'll need them with our new 5th-wheel trailer, which we'll be taking out for it's maiden voyage next week!

d_fergie

Homemade expandable chocks that I made a few years back. Work surprisingly well. Have used them on 3 rigs now. About $3 a peice. A few turns and they press outwards preventing any roll.
I like this idea, right up my ally to make ...

Ks.Kev

JohnD -
Did you use the scissor wheel chocks on both sides, or just one on your Road Warrior when you had it?
I have the WIDE track on the NT 22FBS and they do sell the scissor chocks for it, I'm wondering being that far apart
if that will work as well?

Anybody here on the forum have this set up using the "Wide" scissor chocks on a "Wide Trac" axles? How they doing for ya?

Thanks JohnD and anybody else who could give some insight on this!

JanAndBill

I don't think it is Heartland that doesn't recommend them . . . but as with anything, there are many opinions for and against them.

I found that our previous trailer (the one pictured above) needed them to stabilize the trailer when the slide was out.

I kept them, but not sure if we'll need them with our new 5th-wheel trailer, which we'll be taking out for it's maiden voyage next week!

So far we've withstood 40 to 50 mph straight line winds with the slides out. Shook us a little but didn't feel unsafe. Went through one storm where we had straight line winds of 70 mph with the slides out. Fortunately we were headed into the wind on that one and didn't really feel much at all. One of our friends 5th wheel was parked in a different direction and took the brunt of the wind broadside. It actually lifted one side of the trailer up slightly. Didn't do any damage but scared them when it slammed back down.

JohnD

JohnD -
Did you use the scissor wheel chocks on both sides, or just one on your Road Warrior when you had it?
I have the WIDE track on the NT 22FBS and they do sell the scissor chocks for it, I'm wondering being that far apart

Anybody here on the forum have this set up using the "Wide" scissor chocks on a "Wide Trac" axles? How they doing for ya?

Thanks JohnD and anybody else who could give some insight on this!

We had a Trail Runner . . . but yes, I did use them on both sides.

They come in pairs when you buy them.

And right now the pair is holding our Prowler in place in our side yard!

teasac69

JohnD -

Thanks JohnD and anybody else who could give some insight on this![/QUOTE

If you go to Camping World site and click on the scissor chocks they have a video and will show the two styles which include a good picture of the the extra wide spread style too. Yes, they do make them.

Randor

I have a new wilderness 2850bh and need opinions on how tight the wheel chocks should be on flat ground(prevent shaking and movement)

Scissors chocks work great, even on unlevel terrain where the tongue is jacked up to make the unit level. I would give one word of caution though. If parked for long periods of time, and changing weather conditions (hot to cold), make sure you check the air pressure in your tires. As the tires get a little flat, the scissors jacks push into the tires, and if enough down slope to the front of the RV, it can tend to shift on the front jack and fall off..... You can probably guess how I know.....

Bones

Scissors chocks work great, even on unlevel terrain where the tongue is jacked up to make the unit level. I would give one word of caution though. If parked for long periods of time, and changing weather conditions (hot to cold), make sure you check the air pressure in your tires. As the tires get a little flat, the scissors jacks push into the tires, and if enough down slope to the front of the RV, it can tend to shift on the front jack and fall off..... You can probably guess how I know.....
Let me guess this was you.

https://youtu.be/1p5Kp8esq5Q?t=5m52s