Wheel to wheel step/nerf bars for dually

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As requested, here is a photo of the installed stainless steel nerf bars on my truck. Some advice, however, if you decide to get them for a 2009 GMC. They tell you to remove the body mount bolts and replace them with the M12 bolts they provide. DON'T DO IT! The M12's are not correct since the GMC uses M14 bolts. You will need to get some fender washers and lock washers to fit an M14 bolt from the hardware store and use the OEM bolts to continue the installation. Additionally, check the nutserts on the bars (where they mount to the rear bracket). The threads may be "dirty" and the nutsert will loosen and rotate as you are trying to install the bolts. I had to remove the first bar, hold the outer ring of the nutsert with a pair of ViseGrips and clean the threads with the bolt. Reinstalling it onto the bracket, I had to apply my weight to the top of the bar, pressing the nutsert to the bracket, to prevent it from rotating as I installed the bolt.

To do the install, you will need the following metric sockets: 21mm (body bolts), 19mm (both a standard and a deep set), and a 17mm socket. A 17mm box wrench is also handy. Fortunately, I have a Metrinch socket/wrench set I purchased several years ago and it worked like a charm, other than not having the 19mm deep set. You will also need a torque wrench with a range between 20 and 100 ft-lbs. to torque the fasteners to the specs in the instructions. Trying to torque the bolt that holds the bar to the front bracket is a real treat since there is very little room to swing the wrench.

I did the install in my garage, lying on the floor. Today was a fairly warm (50-deg.) and sunny, so I decided to get-r-done. Took about 4 hours, which included removing the OEM step rails I had. Trying them out, they are very sturdy and there is no problem with my weight on the rear step, next to the dually flaring.

Here's the before and after. I also sent an email to CustomAutoTrim about the parts problems.

View attachment 28802View attachment 28804

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I did get the following reply from the Customer Service Manager at CustomAutoTrim, concerning the problems I mentioned, so I'm happy. Good thing I did the install when I did. I had to clean about 9" of snow off the driveway yesterday and we're back into the freezer.

"I have addressed this with our engineering department to make sure the bracket kit instructions state the following: 2006 and “Newer” GM Light/Heavy duty models have larger diameter body bolts than prior years. The installer will need to use the factory installed bolts to install the side step bars. That information is supposed to be stated on the instructions. The nutsert should NOT be turning with the bolt and tells me it was not seated properly from the factory. I apologize for the mistakes Sir and understand your frustration. I will address these issues so we can prevent them from recurring. If you ever have any questions or comments about our products, please give me a call and I will address them with you. We appreciate your business and will continue to do our best to provide great product and service."