When do I use the on board charger?

Ks.Kev

OK, went and bought a brand new battery, other battery was 4 years old and silly me forgot to disconnect when winterizing.
Anyway, it boiled dry, ****! Needless to say it was shot! Usually I disconnect and store in garage with a battery tender on it.
ANYWAYS, installed a new battery (went from a group 24 to a group 29) then went on a 4 day trip. Was at a campsite that had electric
hook-up, which I used for 4 days..... now my questions is when hooked up to electric, should I have a disconnect switch and turn off juice to battery while camping? Then turn back on when ready to hit the road?
The reason I ask, when I got back home and parked the RV and plugged it in to electric for not quite a week, I went out to disconnect it and store
in the garage.... I'll be **** if the battery was warm and needed water! Went ahead and took it out and added water and it's shows fully charge and holding! YEA! Don't know if it started out low on water when I bought it or not, should of checked!
Is this normal for the on board charger do this in a less than 2 weeks time?
Thanks in advance for any info on this from the experienced people here!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I use 4 group 27 maintenance free batteries. I am plugged into 50amp shore power about 98% of the time with the exception of traveling to and from.
The newer smart convertors should keep your batteries topped off and in good condition.
Unless you let them get low on water of course.
There should be no reason to be disconnecting your batteries when you are hooked up to shore power.
I think it would give you more problems because the batteries would not be charging like they are supposed to be when plugged in.
Just my .02 cents

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I'd keep an eye on water level weekly over the next 4-6 weeks. If you're boiling off water, you may have a problem with the power converter.

Ks.Kev

Thanks guys.....
I will reinstall the battery and keep it hooked up to shore power and check water weekly.....
I have had other RV's and even this one left it hooked up like that before, and checked water level monthly
and never had it boil off! I'm still wondering if it was FULL to begin with! If that's the case, my bad for not checking!
Anyway, will try it again and see what happens!
I'm just glad it didn't ruin this NEW battery
Thanks!

Gaffer

You should be able to leave it plugged in all the time with no problems. The charging system is designed to act like a battery tender.

LBR

When you first reinstall battery, I would take a voltage check at the battery....Then periodically check (every couple days if possible) to verify the charger is tapering back the voltage. If it continues to charge full bore, it would indicate it is faulty and yes, would boil the battery prematurely such as in your case.

farside291

I would take a look at the model of the converter. Not all converters will maintain a battery and not boil it down to nothing. My last 5 SOBs would cook batteries dry if left plugged in for extended periods. I always had to disconnect the batteries if plugged in while in storage for longer than a couple of weeks. The BC Is the first I ever owned that didn't boil the batteries.

Ks.Kev

OK, I checked the voltage with my meter at the battery with the cables off battery and shore power plugged in, from the converter it showed 13.5 volts.
Checked my new battery with cables off and it was at 13.5 as well. So, I reinstalled the cables to battery and checked with meter again...13.5.
Everything doing good...... left it plugged in shore power over night and checked it this morning still good, meter showed 13.5.... left it all day today, went out to check it again this evening with the meter, Battery is making a sizzling noise like I dropped alka seltzer in water sound, pulled cables off battery and checked voltage while still plugged in shore power with meter and it "pegged" out at 15.0 Volts!!!! I don't know how much more but must be a lot. Then check battery with cables off and it showed 14.5 volts!!!
I guess It "HAS" to be the power converter/ inverter, Unless there is something I'm missing here that I need to check / do..... Suggestions, Thoughts?

Kind of a surprise to be needing a new power converter when its only 4 years old.
Guess that's how it goes..........

LBR

Good deal...Now you know the root of problem. Converter probably has a gremlin inside case running amuck and watches for you to leave before he strikes....

danemayer

Battery is making a sizzling noise like I dropped alka seltzer in water sound, pulled cables off battery and checked voltage while still plugged in shore power with meter and it "pegged" out at 15.0 Volts!!!! I don't know how much more but must be a lot. Then check battery with cables off and it showed 14.5 volts!!!
I guess It "HAS" to be the power converter/ inverter, Unless there is something I'm missing here that I need to check / do..... Suggestions, Thoughts?

Kind of a surprise to be needing a new power converter when its only 4 years old.
Guess that's how it goes..........

Electronic devices do sometimes fail. If you want to read about the different charge modes of Power Converters, we have the manuals at this link.

BigGuy82

I agree with others who think it's a power converter. This is just a side note. I'm a fan of AGM deep cycle batteries - no fuss no muss but more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ks.Kev

Yep..... off to out to the RV and see what to do / get to get this taken care of!
You know, at first I thought it MIGHT have been the battery.....
1st group 29 that I have owned and thought " could it be too big", then I said nope after seeing the output
of more than 15 volts from the converter last night!
Group 24,27,29 all are 12 volt.... 12 volt is 12 volt!!!!

As I think back at the last camp out, I do remember the fantastic fan in the bathroom was slowing down
Then speeding up..... thought that was odd and it has never done that before!
That might have been the tip off right there!!! Oh well, off to order parts!
Thanks all for the info and input!

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I'd keep an eye on water level weekly over the next 4-6 weeks. If you're boiling off water, you may have a problem with the power converter.

I agree with Dan. Even with an older "dumb" converter, I wouldn't think you should have a hot battery like you did. I think you may have an issue with converter charge rate.

Ks.Kev

I agree with Dan. Even with an older "dumb" converter, I wouldn't think you should have a hot battery like you did. I think you may have an issue with converter charge rate.

Yes, with the help of the posts I read here,,,, figured it has to be the converter!
So already got the old one out, and got a new one on order. It will be here Tuesday!
Thanks everybody for the info........

Ks.Kev

One last thought.......
As I wait for the new power converter to arrive, I think back and wonder if this might have some how made the
power converter go bad premature... when dry camping I do have a generator I take. I ALWAYS start it up THEN
Plug in the power cord to the RV. Always thought this how it should be done, but one morning my brother went
out and plugged in the power cord into the generator THEN started it. I don't know if this might of gave the converter
to much juice at once at start up.
Of course I didn't have a surge protector, BUT got one ordered now as well.
Could this do something to the converter? Having it plugged in while starting the generator?
Thoughts?
Thanks for any input.........

LBR

I always shut the 50A breakers off as suggested here before plugging into a pedestal.

I also do the same when using the 5.5K coach generator so to let it warm up for a few minutes with no load before turning main breakers on.

And with the 2K Yamaha, the cord is always plugged in before I start it, but 50A breakers will be off....let your generators warm up a few minutes before loading them...they will appreciate you for it years down the road.