When to consider disc brakes

I have a 2014 Prowler P22 5th wheel trailer I plan on taking thru the rockies. The Prowler has two 4400 lb axles with electric drum brakes and loaded weight of 8500 lbs. To convert to disc brakes I would have to replace the axles with 5200 lb with a total installed price of $4000. Should I be considering going to disc brakes or are my drum brakes adequate?

danemayer

Hi kanesheri10,

The answer, in part, depends on your tow vehicle. If you have a 6-speed transmission and engine braking, that would help a lot. If you have a heavy truck that has good braking, that'll help a lot.

In the Rockies, where you can have long, steep downhill grades, the key to a safe descent is to be able to keep your speed low - like 35 MPH. On steep grades, speed builds quickly and can quickly exceed the capability of your truck and trailer brakes - or overheat them, reducing braking power. If you have to rely on the brakes to check your speed, you'll be much safer with disc brakes.

Lynn1130

Dan covered it but you do not say what tow vehicle you have. If you have turbo or exhaust braking and can maintain a safe down hill speed you are fine. The less you have to apply brakes the better off you will be at the bottom.

Fox

Still no hardware updates so I'll throw in my thoughts:

Before I spend $4K on a 6 year old camper (you'll NEVER get this money back so to compensate you would need to pull it forever) I'd consider upgrading to a newer/ improved camper (one that may already have discs) AND/OR a stronger tow vehicle (if necessary: F150 vs F350).

One future day I'll strongly consider discs (I'm somewhat heavy at 16K, but I currently tow in mostly flat lands); I'll revisit when my current brakes need replacing (fortunately I've got a reasonable solid (dually) tow vehicle to stop it).

And don't overlook your Prowlers tires, if they're 5 years old they are easily subject to catastrophic failure.

Lots of variables and you're not letting us in on the details.

Gary521

There are a few things you can do. A 5200 axle by itself costs about $200. It is fairly easy to install. Another thing you can do is install self adjusting electric brakes ( assuming you so not have them ) to save money and help a bit. With manual adjusting brakes, most people do not adjust them at all or do not adjust them correctly. The self adjusting ones perform better just for that reason.

In your post, you are forgetting that the weight of a trailer is carried on the hitch too not just the tires and axle. About 20% carried on the hitch. So, you can keep your present axles and add the disk brakes if that is what you want to do.

Other have provided hints as to how to drive. Take it easy, you will be OK.