where to get diesel

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We never use a regular gas station. We only use truck stops on long trips. If we can we use the RV lanes, but the truck lanes work great also. As said before, fuel and get out of the way. Watch what the truckers do and you will get the picture. Clean fuel is what I look for. Never had a problem paying for fuel with a credit card if you go inside to pay at any truck stop. If you want to browse in the store, go park your rig with the "Big 'OL Trucks" and you will be fine.

CaptnJohn

I have been looking at threads on several sites and wondering why so few GM diesel TVs. Mostly Ford ~ I own Ford gassers but considering a GM this time. Any negatives come to mind?

Crumgater

When all else fails... it's REALLY easy to unhitch in a big, flat parking lot or at the side of a back road - go fuel up - then come back for the trailer.

We've done that... stopped for lunch at a big parking lot where DH dropped me, the dog and the trailer to fix up some sandwiches, while he fueled up at the station about 1/2 mile up the street. MUCH less stress than getting the rig through the tight corners they had there.

Bgthomas

Wonderful thread. I have never gone wrong with Gas Buddy. If I take the trouble to plan out the days travel, I scout with Gas Buddy, then look over the stations with Google Maps.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Truck lanes are nasty. Flying J has a special island for RVers and you can get a RVer discount card as well. The Flying J RV island is normally located in the same area as the car islands. Just hope you don't get behind some RVer that has a Motor Home with a 600 gallon tank and then wants to use the water hose to fill his fresh water tank. Grrrrrr

SilverRhino

I'll deal with a little diesel fuel on the ground to totally stay away from the auto lanes....and you can't beat the speed of filling up with the high volume pumps on the truck lanes!!

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
If you play by the rules truck lanes are fine. You will not have to sit behind a Diesel pusher that fueled and then goes in to pay, use restroom, eat lunch, buy a T-shirt, and make a phone call.

Birchwood

We normally stop at Flying J or Loves as they have larger yards and special RV pumps at some.Also have an App on our phones for each company.

rdfsnow

I always stop at truck stops on the highway and I have a app that shows stations with gas and diesel. And always start looking for fuel when you get down to a Quarter tank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobca1

I prefer to fill up in the truck lanes too. Even though it's a pain to walk inside to get credit card pre authorized, its usually still faster than having to wait for diesel pump over on the auto/rv side. And, so convenient to get the inexpensive DEF at the pump! I was able to use my credit card outside at a pilot or flying J in AZ. No luck in CA or NV have to head inside. Depending on your bank you might also want to call ahead and tell them where you are traveling too, Chase declined me on my first attempted fill up at a TA near Barstow. Now I always call ahead to avoid that possible delay too.

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One other thing when using a credit card at the pump is the pump will cut off at $75. , $100, or $125 depending on the station and/or credit/debit card. If it does just insert the card again and reauthorize the pump. Then the cycle will start over. What a PITA.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
One other thing when using a credit card at the pump is the pump will cut off at $75. , $100, or $125 depending on the station and/or credit/debit card. If it does just insert the card again and reauthorize the pump. Then the cycle will start over. What a PITA.

Same at Costco gas stations . . . will only allow up to $100 for gas!

Of course, right now at around $1.70 per gallon (for gas) . . . ain't no big thang! :cool: