Where to start? What brand?

cherylbrv

DH and I are planning out our dream (have been for over 2 years now). Need to finish making lots of cosmetic repairs on the house so we can put it on the market, and then will buy our RV and move on to the next chapter of our lives -- being full timers! I hope it can be 2013, but time (and the housing market) will tell. Oh - the plan is for a 5th wheel, 40' or more.

Meanwhile, we've been doing all our homework. Have visited a # of RV shows and Heartland is one of the top 3 contenders (along with New Horizons and DRV, although they are very expensive).

Heartland's website is, quite frankly, overwhelming, and I have no clue where to start - which brand to consider? I chose a few at random (Cyclone and Road Warrior) and was then hit with myriad floorplans for each one. Both brands (and probably many, if not all of the others) have 40' fifth wheels. So where do I start looking? What are the differences between each brand? Which brand is most recommended for full timing?

Thanks,

Cheryl

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Welcome to the forum. you'll get plenty of information here.

I'm guessing by your post you are looking for a toy hauler???

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Well then... Take a look at the Landmark, Bighorn, Big country lines and the haulers too. I know folks that full time in all of them.

Ask as many questions as you can think of. There are plenty of future friends here to help.

We were in the same position as you all... We prepared our home to sell so that we could sell quickly without taking too much of a loss. We've tried for two yrs to sell but due to the market we just this week listed it. We priced it to sell, listed it competitive and sold it in one day.
Now, to hopefully offer a bit of insight, we made a list of must haves, stuck to that list and began our search. We googled recommendations for the top brands and after looking at Heartland, we at least knew we had to have that brand.. Then, we incorporated our list of must haves and it came down to either the Elkridge TRSE 34 or the Sundance 3270RES. We chose the latter, and forced ourselves to trust our instincts and not allow ourselves to get caught up in continuing to look at "just one more"...
We couldn't be happier, and also we had the opportunity to meet the rep from Heartland who genuinely CARED about answering each question we had and never came across as just wanting to make a sale. We are purchasing from ExploreUSA in Fort Worth and feel confident that we've done enough research to begin OUR next chapter with the best RV and a manufacturer who stands behind ALL their products regardless of which one you choose! Best Wishes and I'd love to hear what you all decide to purchase.

cherylbrv

That is great news! Many congratulations and all the best in your new lifestyle! I hope we'll meet somewhere "down the road"!

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello Cheryl!

Everyone has made some great comments so far and no doubt, there will be more!

One area that always pops into my mind when we talk "full-time" is where we will spend the fall and winter months. In other words, will we need a true four-season rig capable of surviving some freezing temps or will we always move to a milder location? I guess the same can be said for the summer months...will I need "four" AC's to be comfortable in Southern Arizona during the summer or will we travel a bit north etc. So...you might include how/where you plan to spend your time in your full-time scheme to help with the model of RV you want and need!

Best Wishes in your Quest!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Good luck in your search. We just went to an RV show even though we just bought our second Bighorn. We just wanted to check out the competition. We looked at DRV of comparable size and floor plans to HL. There were nice little bells and whistles, but when it came to functionality, HL Bighorn and Landmark were both way ahead.

Try not to get too tied up in the actual length of the trailer. Our new BH 3585 is a foot shorter than our old 3670, but it has 8 square feet more usable floor space. The floor plan and comfort level were more important to us. I need a certain amount of storage in or near the kitchen and lots of counter space. We need a fairly open living area because we travel with two dogs and one of them is a German shepherd who sleeps in a crate out there. We wanted to be able to move around the bed better than we could before, and the full bathroom is an absolute must. There is a Landmark that fit the bill and colorless of Big Countries that came close, but sitting in the Big Horn just felt like home.

That is how you really know when you find your new rig. Does it feel like home as you move around? Imagine yourself in different situations. How comfortable will you feel when one of you is sick or when the weather is bad and you also need some alone time? How often will you have guests and do you really need extra space for them or will it be so seldom that it doesn't matter? What hobbies will you take on the road with you and how will you store the tools for them? There is lots to think about and it sounds like you have taken the time to do that.

Now just pick the one that feels like home and that you can picture yourself being comfortable in all those daily situations we all have.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and why it fits you. Your experience may help someone else in the same process.

Kristy

cherylbrv

Yes, so far excellent answers! I'm still having trouble differentiating between the brands. For example, if I choose to go the Luxury route, there are 3 brands to choose from (Landmark, Big Horn, Big Country). All seem to have similar choices in floorplans and lengths. So where, exactly, are the major differences? Why should I choose a Landmark over a BC, for example?

another question (assuming I will try to be in mid-climates all year, but more often in hotter temps than colder ones -- I hate snow!!!) -- do I want aluminum and fiberglass or other materials?

TeJay

This is just a point of concern from what I've observed and see reported on this forum and others. When you decide on a manufacturer and specific model but maybe not floor plan look at as many different models as you can. Notice the quality control and see if it is the same from unit to unit. If it is then that particular model made by that particular manufacturer will probably be OK. What I'm trying to say is that depending on the manufacturer all models may not have the same QC that others do because they may be made at a different plant which is controlled by a different set of workers and bosses. Most of us are used to dealing with car/truck manufacturers. For the most part their QC is standard across the board.

Lets say you choose a model by Forest River. Look at as many as you can both older and newer. If they look good across the board then you will probably be OK. If fit and finish, underneath, trim, etc, etc and general QC is not consistent and others have told you that their 2009 or 2010 unit was great then maybe something has happened within their plant to suddenly see a drop in QC.

These are just my observations but I can't think of any reason why many report that their older unit was great then somebody reports that their same but newer unit was a shambles and they had all kind of problems. I know that many of these reported problems can and will get fixed by the dealers. I also realize that no unit is going to be perfect but when a unit is shipped with dozens of problems I believe something has changed at the factory and these items are being missed.

TeJay

cherylbrv

thank you for that good advice, TeJay. I am looking specifically at Heartland; I assume all of their models are by the same manufacturer (Heartland)?

and now to expand on my previous question (I'm still having trouble differentiating between the brands. For example, if I choose to go the Luxury route, there are 3 brands to choose from (Landmark, Big Horn, Big Country). All seem to have similar choices in floorplans and lengths. So where, exactly, are the major differences? Why should I choose a Landmark over a BC, for example?), other than price, what is the difference, let's say, between the luxury models and the full profile 5ers? Again, I see the same lengths and floorplans, so why would one be better than another?

SJH

For example, if I choose to go the Luxury route, there are 3 brands to choose from (Landmark, Big Horn, Big Country). All seem to have similar choices in floorplans and lengths. So where, exactly, are the major differences? Why should I choose a Landmark over a BC, for example? another question (assuming I will try to be in mid-climates all year, but more often in hotter temps than colder ones -- I hate snow!!!) -- do I want aluminum and fiberglass or other materials?

There are subtle differences in these models many of which are important to some purchasers and to others not worth the extra cost. One that comes to mind is cabinet stiles...on the Bighorn and Landmark not only the cabinet doors are solid wood, so are the cabinet stiles. On the Big Country the cabinet doors are all solid wood but the stiles are vinyl covered. We could have purchased a smaller Bighorn for close to the same price as our 3450 Big Country but we opted for the larger floorplan within the same budget.

If you are looking at hotter temps I would add a second AC and consider double pane windows! We do not have double pane but many who do seem to appreciate their benefits.

TeJay

Lets make sure we are talking apples and not oranges. Heartland is the manufacturer or brand and the Big Country, Landmark and Big Horn some of their different models. Of course within each model their are different floor plans. In searching for quality if the Big Horn is good quality then probably all of the Big Horns are made at the same factory. Two years ago I spoke with a rep from the Heartland factory who was in charge of putting pictures of the different units on their web sight. At that time he told me that they had over 250 different models which includes the different floor plans for each model. OK now that we are both talking apples pick a model (Big Country) and check earlier models and the newest models. Floor plan won't matter if you are looking for the quality. Once you establish that a certain model of a certain manufacturer has the quality that you are looking for then narrow down your floor plan, Check their interior and exterior options and order what you want to fit your needs.

TeJay

Speedy

Cheryl, one my wife and I decided on a basic floorplan and found Heartland as you have we looked over all the little details between the BC BH and LM. We went the Big Country route because be got more bang for our buck; because we didn't want leather or a big frig and all the units already built had that. We considered ordering a unit (BH) but the wait and cost was still more than we had budgeted. So you need to list you haves and wants and then see which of the three fit the bill.

I will say that one of the best things we did to learn what we wanted was spending time (an hour or so) in the floorplan we liked at a RV show and listened to what people said as they entered and exited. That is why we moved from considering a Cedar Creek to Heartland. Just keep at it and ask forum members lots of questions and you'll be rewarded; just make sure you know exactly which model you are going with prior to buying a tow vehicle.

danemayer

Hi Cheryl,

On the Heartland RVs website, after you select Big Country, Bighorn, or Landmark (and probably others), there are buttons you can push to view or download booklets that explain how the rigs are constructed, other information. There you can find details like a 10" frame on the Big Country, whereas I think the Bighorn and Landmark have 12" frames. Some of the models use 6000 lb axles where others come with 7000 lb. Some have underbelly insulation plus thermal barrier; some have just the thermal barrier.

When we bought, the Landmarks included standard 50amp power cord on an electric reel, where it was optional on some other models. There were a number of things like this 2 years ago and while the differences may not be the same today, I'm sure there are comparable differences that you'll see by comparing the Standard/Options pages for the different models.

You can also download the brochures for each of the models. You may find it easier to print some of those pages so you can lay them out side-by-side for a comparison.

TheLindsays

We are new to the camping/trailer scene.... as of July... we are not full time... but... what some of these people are telling you is very helpful.... we went looking for a 21 ft... after looking at floorplans online... thinking this would be huge... well after looking at dozens of brands and floorplans and sizes we went with a 25 ft Apex.. was very nice but we quickly realized we wanted a toy hauler for a golf cart and other things matter... The apex was a great unit built well and I will miss some of the features for sure.... We now have the Torque 261 and we are taking it out next week for the first camp trip .. very excited... I suggest either rent some units if possible so you can sleep in one spend days in and out and using things to see what you like and dont about important areas..if not at least go to a show or several dealers and spend lots of time in the unit... lay on the bed get in and out... check out the storage and think about all your stuff you have and use.... where is the tv... how many seats can you see if from... are those seats comfy for hours... do you like the bathroom and shower set up... sit on the toilet... walk in the shower.... how many air and heat vents? ... its cheaper to do all this than buy a unit and sell it 2 months later at a loss after you learn whats best for you. Good Luck... and Heartland has great quality for the $$...

SJH

Hi Cheryl,There you can find details like a 10" frame on the Big Country, whereas I think the Bighorn and Landmark have 12" frames. Some of the models use 6000 lb axles where others come with 7000 lb.

Not trying to add an element of confusion but I do think it is floorplan related not necessarily Big Country vs Bighorn vs Landmark. Our 3450TS Big Country has 12" frame and 7000lb axles.

cherylbrv

Ok, here's another question..... let's say I've finished my research and I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 very specific models. How do I go about finding a dealer who might have ALL of them in stock for me to look at in person? Is that even possible?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ok, here's another question..... let's say I've finished my research and I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 very specific models. How do I go about finding a dealer who might have ALL of them in stock for me to look at in person? Is that even possible?

You can call Heartland Customer Service and tell them what you are looking for and then see if they can tell you a dealer(s) that many have what you are looking for.

Kbvols

Cherylbvr

here is a dealer in Virginia that seems to have good selection. I have no idea how close they are to you but may be worth a road trip. http://www.rv007.com/. RV shows are usually plentiful after Christmas in January/Feburary and may provide opportunities to see various models. Enjoy the hunt it's half the fun!