which pin box? air or not when pulling with hdt

steiny93

2013 cyclone 3950 awaiting delievery
we will be pulling it with a volvo 610 (semi which has been converted and singled) reese 32k 6-way on the truck

since its a class 8 (semi) the general belief is that you can harm the frame of the 5er due to the stiffness of the semi's suspension; makes sense i guess, as the suspension of the semi isn't going to flex much with only 4k of pin weight; it is singled but that tail is still very stiff

i don't really want to swap the hitch so looking to swap the pin box on the 5er

i'm thinking air; but not ruling out Mor/ryde
- Trail Air; will not be able to retain the pretty trim around the pin box
- 5th Airborne; i believe i can retain the trim
- Mor/ryde; cheapest by about $250; not sure if this would provide enough cushion

thoughts; opinons between these three?

jimtoo

My personal choice would be a Trailair pinbox. I have one and it just takes all the shock out instead of transferring it to the trailer frame. Another thing you might think of,, a friend with a SOB did this with a Volvo, is have a bed or part of bed made and add about 4--5000# of steel or weight to the tractor rear. Do you have air suspension on the Volvo, if so you could add a regulator maybe to lower air pressure on the rear.

My 2 cents.

Jim M

steiny93

the volvo has air bags; they are based on height not pressure so it is as 'squishy' as one could exspect; but its still rather stiff
also running a full tow chassis on a 230" wheel base so its as smooth as an hdt could be; but it definately has a different impact profile then say my 2500hd does

i'm leaning towards the TrailAir; my only worry is that my hitch isn't much higher then the bed of the volvo
comparing the TrailAir to the 5th or the Mor it appears that the TrailAir has a longer and lower overhang in regards to impacting the bed of the chassis (it 'appears' to stay at the same height as the 5th plate for a ways back vs. the others)

does that sound right?
thx
jeff

porthole

Retired
Personally, if I was going to use a HDT I would go with an air ride hitch.
Most air ride hitches use 2 air bags. That is half the pressure required to get a similar lift to a single air bag pin box.
Makes for a smoother ride.

I have had a MOR/ryde hitch - no air hitch
TrailAir pin with no air hitch

I now use a MOR/ryde pin box and a Hensley air hitch.

That Cyclone will be heavy if you load it up and it will surpass the rating of the TrailAir.

The MOR/ryde is also rated for 18K, but you can change out the spring. The MR pin box uses the same rubber shear springs that are used in the independent suspension.

Last edited:

crazybanshee

Sorry Steiny can not help you on this one. I run the trailersaver TS2. Have had it for 8 years with out any problems. Would recommend it.
Doug

beardedone

Beardedone
I think this has been discussed on the HDT section of the Escapees forum. There is a hitch used by some of their members that (I believe) is called an ET hitch which has good reviews.