Who designed the landmark battery compartment

Hoser43

I only have a single group 24 Marine/deep cycle battery & want to increase my capacity. Who was the mother's child who designed the battery compartment on my 2006 Landmark? It has a slide out plastic shelf/tray that is 14" x12"- but here is the kicker-I only have 10 1/2" H. I was thinking 2-6 volt but now I'm limited to 2-12 volts- because of the height restriction. Every 6 volt I've looked at is about 10.4" L x 7.1" W x 11 1/4 H. The compartment is very nice in that it is sealed from the other compartment and is vented top & bottom to the exterior. I really don't want to take over storage in my basement storage area and deal with venting issues and the like- but that is where it is pointing. I have found some group 31 x 12volt AGM that I could fit and then add to that in the funny L shaped hole beside the battery compartment. $$ are going to be taking flight. The way the economy is here right now-there are no deals to be had.

I had the same problem. The dealer put in a small group 24 in my Big Country. I started having trouble with my converter and was told part of the problem was that it really should have had 2 batteries in the trailer. I ended up replacing with 2 group 27 batteries and had one put in the right side of the from compartment. They used the same kind of battery case and was able to vent both batteries through the same hose. Two hoses "T" ed into the one hose that vents out the front. It would have been nice if the factory designed the trailer with 2 batteries.

jbeletti

Hoser44,

Not sure why yours would be different but many of us with '05 to '08 classic Landmarks have upgraded to dual batteries in that tray. Some used dual 12s and some used dual 6s. On an '05, I used 2 Trojan T105 6 volt batts. In my '06 - '13 units, I've had the factory supply dual 12s. All of these in the OEM tray.

Did you purchase this Landmark new? If not, I'm wondering if a previous owner changed the tray?

Last edited:

Hoser43

The tray is factory, it seals the battery compartment from the basement and the adjacent compartment. Local Costco made my decision for me. They are cleaning out 6 volt GC batteries 220 Ahr- they look like interstate- great price $49.97 per. So I bought 4 of them, plus I landed a Royal Power inverter Pure Sine Wave 5000 watt to 10,000 watt peak surge. Probably not the best brand but it is unused (NOS) and for $200 I'll take it. Wife has to have toast in the morning. I am going to modify the existing battery box by fiber-glassing if need be, plus I have a plastic SxS double 6volt box with lid that I'm putting in the basement. I'll then vent it into the existing battery box- which is sealed and vented to outside. Now have to plan the wiring of this thing. I'm thinking of KISS prinicple-maybe two latching relays- one to connect battery power to inverter when no shore power and at same time disconnect house converter (Progresswive Dynamics 9180-80 amp) with second latching relay. It's that or run separate 120 volt line over to kitchen (slide) and fish a couple more 120 receptacles for TV/entertainment and toaster/coffee machine. I can't decide yet which is harder. I'm leaning to fishing dedicated 120 volt lines-separate from existing 120 volt-it then shouldn't matter if we're on shore power or not. I don't like the idea of two different 120 volt systems-but if I use a red faceplate or something-that might remind me & those that follow me -it is different power source. Any input from those that know?

caissiel

I have installed a 3 way swiitch on the panel to slide plugs circuit and can supply these plugs either from inverter or panel. I only use inverter or PCs and TV and the slide circuit powers all living room and fridge AC..

Do not run power plant while inverter on I blew my 1200 due to common ground being used while not supplying power to same circuit.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

Hoser43

Well that was a few days from centre earth. This fat old boy jambed into that basement compartment, but I managed to wire in a Progressive Dynamics transfer switch with my new inverter hopefully protected by it. Took the battery tray out of stock battery box and reinforced the box and 2- 6 volts did fit in there, another two 6 volts in the basement in sealed container vented back to battery box. Tested it out when plugged into 50 plugin and on 30 amp and 120- transfer switches over OK. We'll probably get a portable generator to recharge batteries, but that will be through the land line plug. This unit is taking shape.

jbeletti

...2- 6 volts did fit in there...

Glad to hear they fit as they always have. Your project is really shaping up. Thanks for letting everyone know what you are doing. Everyone likes ideas and hearing what others have done. Now it's time for you to join the club and show off that install at a rally :)

dave10a

I only have a single group 24 Marine/deep cycle battery & want to increase my capacity. Who was the mother's child who designed the battery compartment on my 2006 Landmark? It has a slide out plastic shelf/tray that is 14" x12"- but here is the kicker-I only have 10 1/2" H. I was thinking 2-6 volt but now I'm limited to 2-12 volts- because of the height restriction. Every 6 volt I've looked at is about 10.4" L x 7.1" W x 11 1/4 H. The compartment is very nice in that it is sealed from the other compartment and is vented top & bottom to the exterior. I really don't want to take over storage in my basement storage area and deal with venting issues and the like- but that is where it is pointing. I have found some group 31 x 12volt AGM that I could fit and then add to that in the funny L shaped hole beside the battery compartment. $$ are going to be taking flight. The way the economy is here right now-there are no deals to be had.

I too wonder whose child would not allow for at least 4-6 6vdc golf cart batteries in an RV like mine to allow for a large inverter for dry camping.

jbeletti

I too wonder whose child would not allow for at least 4-6 6vdc golf cart batteries in an RV like mine to allow for a large inverter for dry camping.

Dave,

I'd venture a guess that fewer than 1% of towable RV owners have 4 or more 6 volt golf cart batteries in their unit. To build 100% of these coaches to accomodate 4+ batteries would be to charge 99% of the people for the capability to do something they will not do.

Add more than we do now, interesting and useful-to-some capabilities a half dozen areas of the coach and now you have an RV that is not very cost competitive with a lot of items not all buyers would want.

Making "battery specific" space (area, support, venting etc) for 4, 6 or 8 batteries in the standard battery area, for most of our brands would be at the expense of space used for something else.

My opinion only... For volume producers of RVs (not one-off and not custom builders), having space for 2 batteries is really "covering that base" well.

Forget about batteries and think of all things that any RV would want or need. You just can't add it all into every coach as a standard build. It's just not economically feasible.

Again - this is just my personal take on this matter. Not an official Heartland response.

dave10a

Jim I basically agree that a manufacturer needs to provide cost benefit evaluation, but you do understand that there is plenty of space behind the basement wall in my unit that could be used for 6 golf cart batteries. Heartland could have designed that area so a few of those who do want the extra batteries and large inverters could easily install those options without significant modification. I don't think it would cost any more for a manufacturer to do so. I think it more of an over-site than cost evaluation in this case. Of course that is my opinion as well. Keep in mind the basement area could be better organized for batteries, water filters and other options a customer should be able to easily install.

jbeletti

...Keep in mind the basement area could be better organized for batteries, water filters and other options a customer should be able to easily install.

Dave,

I agree with you on this. Something to note, on the new Landmarks, things have been rearranged a bit to free-up floor space for an optional slide-out refrigerator/freezer. While the take rate on that option will likely be less than 10%, the space has been freed up and will be there to store more "owner stuff". Or to organize existing "owner stuff" a little better. Or, maybe even add a sliding tray with 4 to 6 sealed golf cart batteries :) It would have to be a tray designed for that sort of weight and the floor would need to be reinforced.

This said, it's often not long before new things like this (storage compartment re-configurations) on Landmark find their way into other Heartland products.

Thanks for the discussion Dave.

jpdoggett

Jim:: Do they come with two batterys from the factory?? I know my 2011 Landmark only has one but there is room for two.

jbeletti

Jim:: Do they come with two batterys from the factory?? I know my 2011 Landmark only has one but there is room for two.

Jim,

To my knowledge, they come with one battery, if they come with a battery at all. Often times, dealers will add a second battery. Also, all units with hydraulic landing gear or aut leveling come with a battery.

Landmark has always come with the same dual battery capable tray and 1 battery standard. On my first Landmark, I had my dealer install 2 Trojan T-105 6 volt golf cart batteries in the Heartland battery tray.