Who installed your hitch?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
DH and I are definitely not installing our own hitch. :)

Who installed yours: the truck dealer, the RV dealer, or a third party vendor?

Any thoughts/tips for getting a good value and making sure the job is done right? How long does it typically take to get a hitch installed? I'm assuming there's the wait time for the hitch to be shipped...but what else am I missing? Just trying to get an idea of the process so we can schedule the next few weeks. (Fingers crossed!)

Thank you!

Rrloren

Mine was installed by the Dealer but only after they nearly cut the cost in half from their original quote. I had searched locally and found a much better price and they offered to match it. Paid to look around vs taking the Dealer's first quote.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Rrloren, I'm sorry to be dense... do you mean the auto dealer or the RV dealer? We've had a few RV dealers mention installing the hitch. And I know that you can get trucks from the factory with a hitch. One nice Ford sales guy told us not to get them to install the hitch as it would cost 20% more than it should. We're shopping-around kind of people.

Speedy

I bought my hitch through e-Trailer.com and had a local custom hitch and welding shop install it. The shop did not deal with Curt hitches so we made a deal for installation after I delivered truck and hitch. Took less than a day. Hitch was on special at e-Trailer.com with free shipping, then no sales tax because of out of state purchase and no tax for the labor, saved lots of $$$.

danemayer

I was shopping hitches at Discount Hitch in south Austin but decided to buy a Hensley BD3 which they couldn't get. Hensley shipped the hitch by truck to the local Con-Way terminal. I picked it up (meaning they forklifted it into the bed of my truck) and went to Discount Hitch. They were willing to install it for the same install price that they charge for hitches they sell, which was around $100 as best I remember, plus cost of a connector kit at about $25-30. They installed it while I waited. 2 guys worked for around 45 minutes. They also invited me to come back in to retorque the mounting after our first trip - no charge - which I did.

Rrloren

Rrloren, I'm sorry to be dense... do you mean the auto dealer or the RV dealer?

The RV dealer that sold me the trailer installed the hitch.

porthole

Retired
On my GMC I did the install, free shipping of the heavy Pull Rite Super Glide form Tweety's to my driveway. Real pain drilling 5/8" holes in a truck frame.

On the Ford I let the Ford assembly line do it as I ordered the factory hitch kit. Had A Hensley TS3 shipped to my buddies shop. Used a fork lift to install the hitch on the already installed Ford factory frame.

GOTTOYS

I bought my hitch, rails and mounting kit online for about 2/3 of what our dealer wanted. I brought it to a local independent installer. He charged me $350. to install the mounts and the rails. I put in my own wiring harness that i also bought online. I thought $350.00 to install was a little high. Then I asked the RV dealer what they charge. $600.00 to put in the rails and the mounts, and I used a no-drill Curt mounting kit. Gimme a break! They won't ever see me again...Don

mmomega

AnyTimer
In our 2007 the RV dealer installed the Pull-Rite 24k SuperGlide. That **** thing is Heavy... notice the capitol H :) Think 320 lbs.
On the 2011 it came pre-installed already along with the 7-pin connector in the bed and sprayed bed liner. Way easier this time.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The install price depends on the make of truck, hitch and installation kit used. (custom or generic) I installed mine with generic under bed brackets, was tough drilling through the Ford's thick frame. I installed another on a new 09 Ford 350 using the custom fit brackets which was 30%-40% easier. I charged him $250, including the inbed electrical connecter. $300-$400 at a dealer is a fair price.

Jimmy

I had mine thrown in for free including install after the deal for the R.V. was done, if they want you to buy an R.V. have them provide the Hitch. Good luck.

brianharrison

I have had a hitch installed in three different trucks by three different types of shops (not including self installs).

A RV dealer installed a hitch in my truck when I bought my first fifth wheel - I negotiated the hitch and install with the purchase price of the trailer. The trailer shop techs took longer as they were not as familiar with my truck line (Ford) and they also damaged the truck using the "sledge hammer approach". Not the best in my situation.

A truck dealer installed a hitch when I bought a new truck - his shop techs knew the truck but were unfamiliar with installing hitchs (as they usually don't do this type of work). They took all day (longer hours) but I had the install "thrown in" with the truck purchase price so the extra hours were "zero cost" to me. Again not the best scenario.

The best cost for hitch and most efficient install was with a specialized hitch shop, where they dealt with a large volume of hitchs (discounts available to me), and were very familar with install tips/tricks with all lines/models of trucks. This is the best scenario in my opinion if you are paying someone for a new hitch and getting them to install it.

Hope this helps,
Brian

PS - I now install my own hitchs, and for friends/family as well --> this is the best scenario and lowest cost - as I work for less than minimum wage (DW sets my pay rates) and know what I am doing after watching the first three installs.