Whole Coach Water Filtration

mobilcastle

John,
Nice setup with the tote.
OK, here's my set up. Since the filters are rated to 100 psi, I have the regulator on the output side to protect the coach. I put a pressure gage on the input side of the filter set for information. Between it and the regulator gage, I can see if the filters are getting clogged by noting any pressure difference. The inline water meter follows the regulator and gives me an accurate of water use, which also indicates when the filters need changing. It's also handy when adding water to the black tank to tell how much I've put in. As I mentioned, there are actual backflow preventers on both the city water and the black tank flush (I changed that fitting), so there is no concern of getting tank water back into the system, especially with the anti-siphon valve in place. And all connections have quick-connect fittings. I also don't leave my extra supply hose lying on the ground. I have a hose support that stakes into the ground and I droop the excess around that, near the pedestal. Makes clean up when breaking camp a lot easier than wiping 50 feet of muddy hose.
The photo of the UDC is a bit older and doesn't show the newer fitting on the tank flush, quick-connects or the extra 90° fittings I put on the connections on the UDC wall.

View attachment 29522View attachment 29523View attachment 29524

EPaulikonis

OK, here's my set up. Since the filters are rated to 100 psi, I have the regulator on the output side to protect the coach. I put a pressure gage on the input side of the filter set for information. Between it and the regulator gage, I can see if the filters are getting clogged by noting any pressure difference. The inline water meter follows the regulator and gives me an accurate of water use, which also indicates when the filters need changing. It's also handy when adding water to the black tank to tell how much I've put in. As I mentioned, there are actual backflow preventers on both the city water and the black tank flush (I changed that fitting), so there is no concern of getting tank water back into the system, especially with the anti-siphon valve in place. And all connections have quick-connect fittings. I also don't leave my extra supply hose lying on the ground. I have a hose support that stakes into the ground and I droop the excess around that, near the pedestal. Makes clean up when breaking camp a lot easier than wiping 50 feet of muddy hose.
The photo of the UDC is a bit older and doesn't show the newer fitting on the tank flush, quick-connects or the extra 90° fittings I put on the connections on the UDC wall.

View attachment 29522View attachment 29523View attachment 29524

Thank you so much for adding a few photos. Really like the manifold setup you've created. Guess I've got my first project when the coach arrives.

EPaulikonis

Believe I've seen the photos of your project on the blog site you referenced. I was planning something similar, but didn't want to break into the back end of the system and I'd really like to have the filters where there's quick access. I haven't taken possession of the new coach yet, so figured this would be a great way to get some ideas from folks who've already been there and done that. Thanks again.
Eric,

In your Savannah, there will be room behind the UDC to install a dual filter system. During a rally last fall, a friend and I removed my utility wall behind the UDC to install my system. I ganged 2 GE whole-house water filter canisters. I removed a short hose from the back of the Anderson valve and fed the output of the valve into my filtration system, then back to the valve. I created a stand out of 2x4s to mount the filters to. Worked out well. I used Sharkbite fittings so the whole thing can be removed in 5 minutes for me to reinstall in the next coach. Looks like I wrote an article about it with pictures on my blog (link).

jbeletti

Eric,

It's great to think ahead on all of this before you get your coach. And you're getting a lot of great ideas and examples that will help shape your final decision.

I've had filtration and softening systems in the past where they sat outside in a container, where they've sat in the storage bay and now behind the utility wall. Each has pros and cons. I'd say I like the system I use now the best and for these reasons:
1. Nothing to lug out and set on the ground, then lift back up to store
2. No room taken up in storage bay when storing it

I made my utility wall easily removable, so getting back to the filters is simple. I change the filter media every 2 to 3 months depending on usage and water quality. I also recently changed the filter in my residential refer (ordered a 3-pack online).

EPaulikonis

Install finally complete and photos are under new thread at Landmark - Modifications. Thanks again for all the recommendations.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Our new 2015 LM365 Ashland came with the whole coach filtration sys already installed, and 2 spare filters.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

jbeletti

Jerrod - open up that Heartland supplied filter housing to make sure there's a media cartridge installed in it. Unless you installed the media yourself, I think they are shipped empty.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jerrod - open up that Heartland supplied filter housing to make sure there's a media cartridge installed in it. Unless you installed the media yourself, I think they are shipped empty.

That's funny Jim... I asked the dealer that question and they said they think it's in there. But I guess I will see for myself when I get the darn thing back from the paint shop this week. I have a garage full of goody's to put on it. With only a few days before we head to the coast.
THANKS Jim

jbeletti

Did I miss something or is the water heater bypass somewhere else? I love all the space.

Clif - on many of our 5th wheels, the WH Bypass is in the UDC. It's a 3-way valve (Normal and Winterize positions). In the picture below, I've circled in red, the back side of the valve.

image (2).jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Well Jim I pulled the filter canister off and there was a nice new filter inside. But the 2 new filters that where sent with the coach are different then the good one that was in there. Does anyone know if one filter is better then the ether ?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439624284342.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439624284342.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 58
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439624375461.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439624375461.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 53
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439624562951.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439624562951.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 51
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439624646779.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439624646779.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 58

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Well Jim I pulled the filter canister off and there was a nice new filter inside. But the 2 new filters that where sent with the coach are different then the good one that was in there. Does anyone know if one filter is better then the ether ?

I would go to the vendor website and research the filters spec there. Usually there is a comparison chart explaining each filter and its application. From there you can insert the filters per your needs.

danemayer

Keep in mind that finer filters, i.e. 1 micron, will filter out more crud than a 5 or 10 micron filter, but will usually also reduce water flow. And as they capture particulates, the water flow will be reduced even more. So 1 micron might seem better at first glance, but you might have to change it quite frequently to get a good shower.

jbeletti

Jerrod - looks like the cartridge in the housing is a charcoal type and the 2 in the package are sediment type. Two different things. Many of us run two-stage filtration systems. In those cases, we run a sediment filter first (usually 5 micron). This filters out heavy particulate matter. Then we generally run a charcoal or other filter to clean up the water in the second stage.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks guys
I have plenty of room under there to add the 2nd filter. so can I just add 1 more filter canister or do I need a whole new set up ?

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Thanks guys
I have plenty of room under there to add the 2nd filter. so can I just add 1 more filter canister or do I need a whole new set up ?

Just add - probably need a 3/4" pipe thread nipple to connect them.
If it was my trailer I would get a second filter kit with a clear housing. Put that one first and put the sediment filter in it. Use the charcoal after the sediment.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I just use one filter, a 5 micron taste and odor filter. In my short stint as an RV owner we've not stayed anywhere where I would question having sediment to filter out of the water and feel one filter is adequate. Taste and odor, to me, is more prevalent than sediment. Filters will do nothing about scale and so forth from "hard " water once it enters the coach's water system-HW tank & FW tank. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

For the last 18 years I've just been using the in line filter on my hose. Both suggestions are better then what I've been doing.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My simple but efficient setup with one filter...
37a3943881ded6cb8f4a6c36adc2e8f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk