Whoops!!!!

wdk450

Gang:
I thought I would share ANOTHER hitching disaster (see my previous thread of trying to hitch while a trailer pin locking device is in place) I had today. I had to got to the tire place to get some tires moved around on rims and the tires balanced. My storage guys brought the trailer outdoors with the forklift and set it with the front near a dropoff from the asphalt to dirt. I had to back in to the pin over this hump. Well, I had some resistance, gave the truck some gas, and ended up banging hard with the hitch to the pinbox. I came out to inspect things, and found that the locking bar had moved to its locked position (as it usually does), so I secured the bar with the lock, raised the landing gear, put the safety lanyard in place, and proceeded to pull out, but I was interrupted by a HUGE BANG!. The pinbox had come out of the hitch and banged down onto my truck's tailgate (totalling it). With my landing gear and some jackstands I now keep on hand I was able to raise the pin high enough to clear the jammed tailgate.

I took the truck to my local repairer, RV Doctor George, who got my tailgate off the truck with the aid of a forklift to push the bowing out section back into place where 3 guys could remove it. I had the pros there examine the Reese 20K hitch (as I had done earlier) and nothing seemed to be wrong with it. Later in that day, I did hitch up again and tow successfully.
I think what probably happened is that I might not have been exactly on side-to-side when I hitched, banged the hitch hard, AND THE SPRING LOADED LOCKING BAR CLOSED THE JAWS BEFORE THE PIN WAS INSIDE THEIR GRIP. I think when I pulled out the pin was sitting BEHIND the jaws.

I see 3 lessons from this story: 1) Just because the hitch locking bar has moved into the locked position DOES NOT ABSOLUTELY MEAN that your pin and hitch jaws are hitched properly. 2) ALLWAYS LOOK in at the hitch jaws from the rear - If you see closed jaws you are O.K., but if you see the PINBOX PIN then you are NOT hitched securely. Always pull a bit with your truck to see if the hitching is solid WITH YOUR LANDING GEAR STILL DOWN!!!

P.S. I've got a new, vented tailgate on overnight order through Dr. George. The local "recyclers" wanted $600 for a tailgate, and the new vented ones ranged from $250 to $550.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Ouch! Sorry to hear of your boo boo. Since our boo boo we NEVER fail to do a hitch test before we leave anywhere!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I painted the back of the jaws white so I can easily see if they're closed around the pin. Never in too big of a hurry to check it.

wdk450

Barnetts and John Dar:
Thanks for your condolences. To answer your replies:
1) I was just about to do an electric trailer brake/hitching security test when the unhitch happened. I just did not still have my landing gear mostly extended in case the hitching test failed. I now have new proceedure steps (i.e. - hitch up, retract landing gear so that it is just an inch or two off the ground, pull forward doing hitch/brakes test, stop and fully retract landing gear.)
2) I had the same idea about painting the hitch jaws (at least the rear-facing surfaces) white. I will try to get that done today.
3) I will modify and print out my hitching check list and keep it in the truck door pocket.

jpajax

If your hitch is adaptable for a pin catcher it is the best insurance you will ever buy. Sorry for your accident.

Last edited:

sjs731

My B&W Companion Hitch has silver jaws so it is easy to see from behind if they are around the pin but even when I am sure they are I still pull against the wheel chocks with the landing gear slightly raised. While I feel for everybody who has an accident, their stories are the ones that never let me short cut my hitch up check list.

caokgafamily

2snapod1,

If you don't mind ? what is the hitch test? Pull fwd with the legs down for a liitle bit?

Thanks,
Steve

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
2snapod1,

If you don't mind ? what is the hitch test? Pull fwd with the legs down for a liitle bit?

Thanks,
Steve

Pulling foward with the front legs just a couple of inches off the ground. You do not want to risk bending the legs. For resistance I use either the electric brake controleror chocks. My DW always stands clear when I am doing a hook up and if she sees I miss doing the"pull test" she throws the red flag. :D:D

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
WDK450... so sorry about your mishap but thanks for posting! It's unfortunate that happened but it's a great lesson for the rest of us that reinforces always checking the jaws!

I like John's suggestion about painting the jaws! Another thing to put on the "get the BH out of storage list (hitch is there too)"

traveler44

I got to where I would run my landing gear up before doing the pull test too but luckily I have had mine hitched properly so far. Thanks for the reminder to just run the landing gear up a couple of inches. Now if we don't forget to run it up after the pull test we should be all right. Funny how we can get so good at doing things and then get out of the habit of doing it right after awhile. Hope you don't have any damage that can't be fixed as good as new. Tom

MurrayN.

Hey wdk450! I have a Reese 16K hitch so you have got my attention. I have always thought that the Reese had a fool-proof system. I always back into the pin with my handle in on my hitch. I watch it come out as the pin goes through the jaws and then it goes back in when the pin is at the home position. Then when I flip the safety latch on the handle I take a quick check to make sure the pin is between the jaws. Sorry to hear of your accident, but from your explanation a person can easily see how it could have happened. You needed a 5th wheel tailgate anyway, I got one a year ago and really appreciate its benefits.

TedS

MurrayN, I have the same hitch and do the same hook up procedure. Hasn't failed me yet.

We all can always learn from any whoops!

jimtoo

Hmmnnn,,,, I have a tailgate for sale... less than 200 miles on it,, white...like new...fits gmc, chev..:)

wdk450

Jim:
I don't know if your Chevy tailgate will fit my Dodge. Also, I'm sure boxing and shipping would be a pain.

Well, the supplier to my RV repairer came back with "that part number is obsolete" - It was found in a 2011 catalog. I'm out of time. I have to pull out Saturday morning on a 1 month trip. I CAN get one of the "straps" tailgates locally for about $50 (or the OEM metal tailgate from a recycler for a quoted $600 - one of the aftermarket parts guys said I should expect to pay about $1200). I found the 5th wheel-type tailgates I want, for the price I want, through Tweetys and J.C, Whitney online. Maybe I can have it shipped to my sister's house while I am on the trip. I plan to be there a couple of weeks.

I don't like the non-secured feel of no solid tailgate - I worry about losing my 5th wheel hitch by the metals thieves (the local TV news this morning has a story about missing manhole covers that the thieves reportedly get $11 for). I already lost an "climbing-into-the-bed-assist" handle I use on the tailgate latch post that I keep in the back of the truck. I plan to put my $1000 generator in the truck between the hitch and the toolbox for this trip, but will have this secured by a chain. I think I will cover as much as I can of the bed with a tarp and bungees.

Thanks everybody for all the good wishes!!

P.S. - I painted the rear of the hitch jaws white yesterday afternoon - I was amazed to find that WalMart had full sized cans of (off-brand) white spray paint for $.96!!!

traveler44

I have the 18K Reese and the jaw will close on mine before I am backed all of the way in so I have to watch that the handle stays out or stop and pull it out again-- opening the jaw, before I finish hooking up. Like Bill said if I bump it wrong it will close prior to the pin seating properly. Mine has a hole along the handle that won't line up unless the jaw is all of the way closed. I always hang a pad lock in this alignment hole. Tom

jnbhobe

I do the same as Tom with my Reese Elite. And I always go to the rear and make sure the jaw is CLOSED ALL THE WAY !!!

wdk450

Hi Bill,

Trying to find this thread you mentioned. Can you post a link? Thanks

Ray:
This happened in June 2009 at the Oregon Rally, but after a lot of forum searching, I couldn't find the thread. To make a long story short, I had one of the collar-style pin locks on the trailer, and forcefully attempted to hitch with the lock in place. I broke the hitch jaws locking mechanism far away from home (and 40 miles from an RV parts dealer), with reservations in another part of Oregon that day. I still have the old broken Curt hitch in my garage.

porthole

Retired
I only did the no-brake test once, and it was trying out my new hitch (Hensley) this hitch worked differently then my PullRite and looked like it was connected properly.
Actually, when looking at the jaws, they were in the correct "locked" position. The problem was is that I forgot to release the pin on the release arm. This arm is spring loaded and the difference visually between release and lock is very small.

The Hensley locks the jaws with a steel block that slides in between the opposite side of the opening. Very secure as long as you allow the block to slide in.
I had the jacks down yet so all I did was roll forward to until I heard a scraping noise. That was the pin-box hitting the top of the tail gate. That was a cheap repair, $35 for plastic trim.

As fro the brake test, I only raise the landing gear to just clear the ground, if that. Never 2" or more.

And for those with hydraulic landing gear, you will probably find that the one leg moves more then the other. This is inherent with the way the gear works. Simple solution is to step on top of the pad that is moving too much. This will cause the other leg to start moving.
And there is my tech tip of theday.