Why did my converter fuses blow?

Lobovista

Getting the RV ready for our two month trip up the west coast and find that I left a light on and we were not plugged in to AC power. I connected to our 50 amp shore power and all AC systems work but no 12 volts. Battery is drained totally, less than 5 volts, and converter is not working. Buy new battery and install. After dismantling several panels in storage bay (what was Heartland thinking) I get access to the converter and both fuses blown. Replace fuses and all is back to working. My question is what blew the fuses? Battery was properly wired just severely drained. Will a drained battery cause the converter to blow its fuses? By the way, the old 2 yr battery finally charged back up so it looks like I got a surplus deep cycle battery.

danemayer

The Progessive manual says that the output fuses blow when the battery is connected with reverse polarity. Assuming you experienced the problem before working on the battery, that didn't happen.

I'd guess maybe the voltage at the battery was so low that the output amperage of the converter jumped above the fuse value when you plugged into shore power. Just a guess though.

Lobovista

Dan,
i agree and it was my understanding that the fuses are to protect reverse polarity which I did not have. I kind of guess like you the dead battery is the culprit but would like to know if someone else has ever experienced this. What ever caused it, it happened immediately upon plug in to AC power.