Why did you change (upgrade) pin boxes?

Jhuff8181

We have a new 2015 Gateway 3650BH. We have a new to us Silverado 3500 Diesel DRW coming next week. I need to have a 5th wheel hitch installed so I'm looking for recommendations for that but I have seen many people posting about replacing their pin boxes, why? Is that something I should consider? Just a note, this is our first 5th wheel, we are full timing and we plan on traveling 8 to 10 thousand miles per year (I know we're jumping in with both feet).

jnbhobe

Mor/Ryde pin box will help with chucking and air bags for the truck will help with the ride quality

Tallyrver

We Moved from a 40 ft diesel motor home to the Gateway 3650bh . I towed it for a couple months before changing to a Mor/Ryde pin box, the ride quality with the new pin box is night and day. I kept the old one in case I trade.

Wayne

Jim.Allison

YouTube is replete with videos about why you want some type of pin box or hitch that will help control the shock loading at the pin box as well as chucking. Beside the trailer frame, the contents of the rig are vulnerable to the road surface. There are plenty of methods. A good pin box made to accomplish the task or a Trailer Saver hitch which is what I have (I can't speak to the effectiveness of the pin box because i've never owned one). But they do not call the Trailer Saver BD3 "Trailer Saver" for nothing. Be sure to check craigs list before you buy you might be able to get a new Mor/Ryde or one of the others from a fellow fiver owner. Same with the BD3, I saw a BD3 for $1500 on craigslist, brand new, I have seen several for $900 that had been around the block once or twice. You are right to be looking at this aspect of your fiver. Pay attention to weight, every pound on your pin box or hitch, cost you in pin weight/payload. If you have not already bought your hitch at least look at the trailer saver BD3, if you have already bought your hitch then you will want to look at the field of pin box players.

I have provided some weights that I had in my notes from when I did this same project to protect my rig.

Trailer Saver 155 lbs + 80 LBS slider = 235 lbs with slider

Reese Elite hitch 142 lbs + Mor-ryde 145 lbs - 135 lbs old pin box and plastic shield = 152 + 65 lbs slider = total 217 lbs with slider.

BD3 without slider is 3 lbs heavier than reese, add the sliders then BD3 is 17 lbs heavier.

A slider is really a thing of the past with the 88 degree turn radius, I have one but wonder why? I have never used it. I have been in some tight spots that I thought I needed it, but ultimately did not. I'm beginning to think that it is 80 lbs that I do not need taking up payload. Especially since I firmly believe that tight turns induce tire problems that result in blowouts. If you gotta turn that tight you probably should do something else. But still I feel like I need it along.

Good luck let us know what you come up with.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
After having a standard (rigid) pinbox on my last SOB and putting up with a fair amount of bumping, chucking and bucking I got a Trailair for our BH.

After 4 years and 30K miles with the Trailair, I have to say it has performed flawlessly. I have had none of the problems I had with my previous setup and my rig rides like a Cadillac. Plus you can fine tune it exactly to your load. I highly recommend the Trailair pinbox. Trace

Last edited:

mobilcastle

I an driving a Silverado 3500 dually. You will not need air bags and the ride is excellent. I do have a mor/Ryde pin box. I like the Mor/Ryde pin box to help reduce chucking. I have owned 3 of them. I also like that they are maintenance free. I have never owned a BD3 but I like my companion hitch. Very solid and easy to hook up and unhook.Good luck with your new rig!

Jhuff8181

Great information everyone, thank you. The truck I bought already has a gooseneck hitch in the bed so here is what I was thinking I would use:

Mor/Ryde 5th Wheel Pin Box on a B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch. How does that sound?

dieseldogsdad

I am thinking of upgrading the pin box and was wondering if the Trailair Triglide were to be aired up to max psi would it offer me additional bed rail clearance for my awkward angled driveway and other off camber situations. I could carry a portable air tank with me to fill the bags when needed then lower the pressure when I hit the road. Does anyone know if I would gain any clearance doing this? How much, maybe an inch?