Pin + Hitch Set Up Questions on New Gateway

SeaConquest

Hello! New Gateway owner here.

We recently bought a 2016 Ram 3500 long bed with the fifth wheel prep package and a 2017 Gateway 3700 PTB 5er. We are wanting the most comfortable ride possible. From the research I have done, it seems that a lot of Heartland owners like the cushioning of the Mor Ryde pin box (in place of the OEM pin). I am trying to decide on a hitch, and have it narrowed down to the Curt Q24 or the B&W Companion (both drop right into the Ram prep package without any additional adapters or rails). Does anyone have an opinion on these two hitches with this set up? I am leaning towards the Curt, because it is cushioned and cheaper (bonus!). Which do you think would give the most comfortable ride? Any comments on this setup for newbies? Thanks!

danemayer

Hi SeaConquest,

Congratulations on the new Gateway and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get answers to your questions and I'm sure you'll get feedback on hitches and pinboxes shortly.

SeaConquest

Hi SeaConquest,

Congratulations on the new Gateway and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get answers to your questions and I'm sure you'll get feedback on hitches and pinboxes shortly.

Thank you for the welcome!

Also, does anyone know if the warranty is voided by changing the king pin?

jimtoo

Hi SeaConquest,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We gots lots of great people here with lots of information. So if you have a problem, just ask and someone will help out.

You should be able to change to any of the 5th wheel pin boxes and be fine. Do not go the gooseneck way, you will void your warranty.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

alwaysbusy

Hi SeaConquest,
Congrats on your new unit. I hope your not expecting a sole single answer as there is none which you will soon find from your responses. In the end it will come down to your personal preference, your bed requirement (i.e. SB/LB) and your tolerance for how much you wish to invest. With that, IMO you can't beat an air hitch which is my preference, but again, be ready to pay. I tow with the TS3 which has been around for a while. Congrats again.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2013 RAM so we pretty much have the same truck.
I use a Curt hitch with a Trail-Air Try--Glide pin box. I like the ride.
The only way a hitch will improve your ride is if you went with the TS3 type air cushioned hitch. The Curt is not cushioned.
Another pin box to look at is the Trail-Air Flex-Air which has replaced the Trail-Air.

Peace
Dave

GWRam

We recently bought a 2016 Ram 3500 long bed with the fifth wheel prep package and a 2017 Gateway 3700 PTB 5er. We are wanting the most comfortable ride possible. From the research I have done, it seems that a lot of Heartland owners like the cushioning of the Mor Ryde pin box (in place of the OEM pin). I am trying to decide on a hitch, and have it narrowed down to the Curt Q24 or the B&W Companion (both drop right into the Ram prep package without any additional adapters or rails). Does anyone have an opinion on these two hitches with this set up? I am leaning towards the Curt, because it is cushioned and cheaper (bonus!). Which do you think would give the most comfortable ride? Any comments on this setup for newbies? Thanks!
[/QUOTE

Congratulations on the new Gateway, and welcome to the forum.

I am biased as I have the Q24 in my 2015 Ram 3500 shortbed and love it.

The cushion I think your talking about on the Curt is the full range of motion and then it returns to center.
I have friends with other hitches that flop limp when they unhitch and just sag there until hitched again.
Friend of mine just bought the B&W for his new ford, he wanted the goose neck adaptability.
Looks strong, but I didn't like all the little chains dangling to hold all the different pull pins. The Q24 is clean, strong and easy to use.
It all comes down to personal choice in the end.

I'm still looking for the kingpin I want to change to.

GOTTOYS

The Curt hitch might be cheaper but it certainly won't be better. I have nothing against a Curt but you will never hear a bad word about a B&W. One of the differences between the two is, the B&W is made in America with only American made Materials, it is not another Chinese product sold by an American company. There is nothing about a B&W you won't like. The finish is perfect, the welds are perfect even the box that it is shipped in is fitted and it will will arrive damage free. It is fool proof to hitch, smooth and trouble free. Ask anyone who owns one. You DO get what you pay for....Don

LBR

We just got our new Curt Q24 and haven't even assembled it yet...looks like a nice unit to me and should do everything our CY will demand of it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't tell you anything about the Curt, but I can tell you we really like the build quality of the B&W. It's great! We ended up with the B&W hitch because we bought a used truck that already had the companion gooseneck ball hitch in it.

We had a Reese 20K rail-mounted hitch before. The difference is the B&W is a little more finicky if the truck isn't aligned properly with the coach. If the pin is at a little bit of an angle, it's harder to hitch and unhitch. Because the jaws on the B&W are pretty thick, they encircle the pin really well -- and thus, you have to be aligned "just so", or the jaws will not release or close properly. It just takes a little more experience with it.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I haven't had an issue being off on mine at all Erica. Usually goes together pretty easy no matter which way we come at or if we are on an angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I haven't had an issue being off on mine at all Erica. Usually goes together pretty easy no matter which way we come at or if we are on an angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm. wonder why we have issues? I'll chat with you more off thread.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Erica, we also have the B & W and have never had a problem with aligning it and have done so at fairly tough angles.