Why does Heartland use Chinese tires?

bocojla

Is there any reason why Heartland uses made in china tires other than price? A check on all other known forums indicates they are accidents waiting to happen. If they are made to the same standards as U.S. made tires, why do so many people have so many problems with them?

M

Mcreech

Re: Cheap china tires

Heartland uses tires from China and also uses tires from the united sates (goodyear) on some brands.....All the tires are rated the same as i have been told and blow out are like caused by over loading what the tire can handle and or under inflating tires......We have been using the same tires on the North trails for over 7000 units and I have a very small amount of blow outs.....I've personally put 20k miles on a North Trail without any problems....I hope this helps

bill40

Is there any reason why Heartland uses made in china tires other than price? A check on all other known forums indicates they are accidents waiting to happen. If they are made to the same standards as U.S. made tires, why do so many people have so many problems with them?

Hello Bocojla,
You are correct there are many stories on this and other forums about tires blowing out. In many cases it is a china made brand but there are also many reports of the goodyear tire blowing out and throwing a tread. We have about 15000 miles on our BC 3500RL and have not had any problems. We do weigh what we put in our rig and keep our psi at 110. I read the outher day a fellow has had many goodyears blow out even after they were replaced. In his case I think I would look at the weight of the rig or maybe the axle is bent.
We you consider how many rigs are on the road with the same tires it makes you think. I use firestones on my TV have not had a problem but that doesn't mean I won't or someone else hasn't had. Watch your weight check your pressure, if you still are worried replace them. I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I think one of the considerations for tires on most manufacturers trailers are also based on availability and cost effectiveness. I know they all meet DOT standards but it's too bad the DOT can't also maintain the road conditions we are faced with when we travel. Our China Bombs lasted for 3 years before I noticed a bubble that caused me to replace them with Goodyears. I still check pressures and inspect them diligently.

I'll move this thread out of the ATF section since it has been replied to. Thanks for your posts.

Larryj

I know what you mean, I had one of those cheap china tires blow out on me on our 2007 bighorn. It wrapped around the axle and did over $3,000 damage. I reaplaced all the tires.

branson4020

Icantre Member

I think one of the considerations for tires on most manufacturers trailers are also based on availability and cost effectiveness. I know they all meet DOT standards but it's too bad the DOT can't also maintain the road conditions we are faced with when we travel. Our China Bombs lasted for 3 years before I noticed a bubble that caused me to replace them with Goodyears. I still check pressures and inspect them diligently.

I'll move this thread out of the ATF section since it has been replied to. Thanks for your posts.

And, DOT standards don't address quality. Lots of failures caused by manufacturing defects in those China bombs.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist

Easily....$$$$$

TireHobby

Everybody is using them. The market is saturated with them. Just like most items in mass production around the world there are the good and the bad. Next time you take your car, truck or SUV in for servicing at a dealership go look around in the showroom and jot down the tire manufacturer names you find on the vehicles on the showroom floor. The last time I did that I found six different brand names, half were from China.

TireHobby

Rmcgrath53

I had them on my Sundance and watched them very closely. After about 3,000 miles on a trip to florida in the winter all 4 tires had bubbles in the side walls. I caught them quick enough and had to buy 4 new Japan LT tires. I still check, so far so good. Those china bombs are not a matter of if, its a matter of when. Keep an eye on them and catch em before the 3,000 dollar blowout. Like the lead in toys, faulty drywall, bad steel, all the stuff that gets by a corrupt government will one day catch up to Quality control standards after the public has been duped. Who knows maybe by now their quality has gotten better after their learning curve.

Rickhansen

Heartland can provide whatever answer they want, but everyone knows the answer before the question was asked.

How about this one... Show of hands, Who has replaced their tires with another set of China Bombs?

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Bronson, you stated "lots of failures?" Please give me lots of examples of TRUE failures.....not opinion, but REAL documented failures!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

And, DOT standards don't address quality. Lots of failures caused by manufacturing defects in those China bombs.
I really can't agree with your statement. No intent to argue either but are failures caused by manufacturing defects or by minimal quality standards. I think it's probably a combination of both. I have no basis for my comments other than knowing and understanding what our tires are dragged through and the abuse they take not only from bad roads but under/over inflation and overloading. I have a lightweight cargo trailer that I abuse often by overloading and rarely checking tire pressure. Not a good thing to do but it's usually a short haul trailer. It has China made tires. I've never had a problem with it. Am I defending the tires made in China? NO! Not really. Just giving my opinion. Do I consider myself a tire expert? No to that either. But I did work in a Goodyear store a very long time ago. ;-)

branson4020

Icantre Member

Ray, I think we are just arguing semantics. When I worked in industry, on the production line, "quality" was measured by the number of manufacturing defects.

lwmcguir

Regarding tire failures, it is interesting to me to see how many HL campers pass us on the interstate when we are running 65-70 mph. Often times they are staying with traffic at around 80 mph. They are pushing their tires for sure no matter what they have installed. Get the tires hot and they will all fail so pressure and loading as well as speed all factor in here.

Flyfish4m

Regarding tire failures, it is interesting to me to see how many HL campers pass us on the interstate when we are running 65-70 mph. Often times they are staying with traffic at around 80 mph. They are pushing their tires for sure no matter what they have installed. Get the tires hot and they will all fail so pressure and loading as well as speed all factor in here.

BINGO!!!! While I am not defending those ''china bombs'' alot has to do with what alot of you have said, weight, pressure, speed,care etc.... I too was concerned about my Freestars G-rated tires on my BC, I invested in a TPMS, 15,000 miles later I am very satisfied with them. I keep them covered, keep my weight down and check pressure before every trip. I also travel at 65 mph with occasionally hitting 70 when needed. Alot of people claim they do nothing for their tires to blow, atleast they think they do. Next time your at a CG watch a fellow camper pack up and head out the road, tell me how many times you actually see them check the tire pressure... I can tell you I've NEVER saw one! No doubt there has been some mis-fortunes for some, **** I may be one after this weekend :) but untill then I will continue my routines before I travel anywhere and hope for alittle luck.

caissiel

In the past I blew GY tires and Carlisle tires. It was so discouraging that I went with economical LT truck tires and solved all my tire problems.
Trailer tires are just trailer tires, in average most tires roth on the trailer and wear is no consern.
We have a different situation while some of us are full timers and carry everything with us.

If we wear out the OEM tires fast then we look for better replacement. So far I have been very satisfied with the Freestars, They are not only trailer tires they are truck quality tires.

When I balanced them today we turned one on the rim to get better balancing, the tire changing machine could hardly press the tire of the rim. Thiese tire have lots of rubber and look great after 6000 Miles. I would rather have truck tires then trailer tires and Its because I do lots miles on the unit. Had over 70K on the last unit and half was on a set of LT tires.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

ST tires have stronger sidewalls to reduce twisting when making the tight turns trailers do. LT tires do not have as strong a sidewall.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Next time your at a CG watch a fellow camper pack up and head out the road, tell me how many times you actually see them check the tire pressure... I can tell you I've NEVER saw one!

I check my tires every time I leave a campground, but you don't see it. I use Pressure Pro. I pull the TV up in front of the BH and by the time I am connected up I know what the pressure is in all 8 tires. I only use a tire gauge when one seems low.

FWIW
BC