Why does Heartland use Chinese tires?

ChopperBill

Re: Cheap china tires

Better get use to Chinese tires. The Chinese own the USA now. Wont be long when Mom, Apple Pie and Chevrolet have "Made in China" on 'em.

TireHobby

What you don’t see in the forums is the much higher percentage of people that do not have a problem with their trailer tires, no matter where they’ve been manufactured.

When failed tires are turned in for inspection it is almost always determined that the failure was caused by predictable causes such as road damage, under/over inflation or excessive speed, and overloading the tires, just to name the most obvious. The people that do these type of inspections are experts. They know what causes the fibers to melt in the tread or sidewall construction. When the steel used in a steel cased tire fails they know where to look to determine the cause. When and if manufacturing is determined to be faulty, recalls are made and whole lots and maybe even a whole series of tires are effected.

Every new series of tires requires DOT testing before they are branded with the DOT certification. Every DOT certified tire is completely identifiable. It can be tracked right back to the factory that manufactured it. In the last recall of tires made in China (passenger tires) the American distributor went into chapter 11 before all effected tires were returned.

On your next visit to an automotive type dealership take a look at the tires being provided on their new vehicles. A good guess will be 50% have come from Asian manufacturers. It’s an eye opener if you think about it. How come these Asian tires are not suffering a high failure rate? Could it be the 20%, or greater, reserve load capacity the automotive industry provides to their customers in the tires they provide. And that’s 20% above GVWR folks.

When browsing the RV forums and specifically the subject of RV trailer tires you will find that the most popular way to eliminate trailer tire problems is to increase the load carrying capacity of the tires to 15-20% above the trailer GAW. Hmmm, knock, knock, are the bells ringing. How come the RV trailer manufacturers don’t hear that ringing? “Well, er..er..er.., it’s a tire problem”. “ those Asians, their tires are just not up to snuff.”

I’ve visited RV specific forums like this one where the manufacturer is actually involved and supports wheel and tire upgrades as long as the end user accepts some of the costs. But the bottom line is not being effected as the 2011 line-up shows no upgrades by the manufacturer. Demanding an upgrade before signing the sales agreement is the most powerful tool the prospective buyer has to deal with a RV trailer that is suspected to have tires with insufficient load carrying capacity. When doing so the target to shoot for is tires able to support maximum GAW plus 20%. Example; 15K GVWR trailer minus 3K pin weight equals 12K GAW. 12K divided by four equals 3K tires times 20% equals minimum 3600# capacity tires.

Nothing personal intended in this post. Just rambling along.

TireHobby

Last edited by a moderator:

Netem

Everyone can run the tires they feel comfortable with but I have a Sundance which is not a heavy trailer and I had the up graded 16 in 10 ply wheels and tires ( Mission ) and at less than 3500 miles two had belts go bad. I don't tow at 70 and I always kept my pressure at 80 lbs. Now remember these trailers come standard with 15 in 8 ply. If you think this Made in China crap is just as good I've got some tools I'd like to sell you.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I agree with both of the last two posts. We had two of our Chinese made tires blow out on our Landmark when it was new. I am very conscientious about correct inflation, balancing, weight ratings, speed etc. of our tires. The tire distributor reimbursed me for his cost of these Chinese made tires at $42.00 a tire. That is $42 for a G rated tire. Both tires had rusted metal belts at the time of the failures. BTW the tires weighed about half as much as the Goodyear 614. I wonder why?

Snapper

My 2010 280BH North Trail travel trailer came with duro tires, This year the tires showed severe cracking between the tread on all four travel tires and also the spare, which has never been on the road. These tires are a serious hazard to the motoring public. I have contacted the Manufacture and they agreed to replace the tires at 50% of full retail price. Which is $128.00 a piece. This does not include mounting or labor. I called 3 tire store and they indicated that the retail price for the Duro was 62.00, installed. The deal DURO was providing is no deal at all. I eventually purchased 5 new radial tires from another manufacture and I hope these tires last more that 2 years and 1500 miles.

My point is that Heartland should discontinue using DURO tires on their product. This tire is a poor choice for heartland in so many ways. The first is safety, if so many people have complained about these tires and something happens to them they blame Heartland for not doing something about the problem. The internet is a powerful tool and word of mouth will place a negative image towards Heartland. Do't get me wrong I like my trailer; However inferior parts will kill customer satisfaction.

RollingHome

bocajla, I hear ya and I share your concerns. HL uses them to stay competitive, Just the same I have decided to give my China Bombs a chance. I purchased a 2011 3670RL I am going to leave the bombs on the unit for at least 3 years (or more). I will monitor them closely and make sure they are evenly inflatted and loaded before every trip, I also cover my tires from UV degradation in/off the road. Finally, I store my toy indoors. If the China Bombs S.T.B. If they let me down, I will will make like a female dog and make sure I tell everyone. I have a tendency to get real loud when I get PO'd. SO STAND BY !

Duramax1

Everyone can run the tires they feel comfortable with but I have a Sundance which is not a heavy trailer and I had the up graded 16 in 10 ply wheels and tires ( Mission ) and at less than 3500 miles two had belts go bad. I don't tow at 70 and I always kept my pressure at 80 lbs. Now remember these trailers come standard with 15 in 8 ply. If you think this Made in China crap is just as good I've got some tools I'd like to sell you.

I have the same rv, axles and tires as you and tow at 58 mph which is right in the sweet spot for my engine, transmission and weight configuration.

I have now used my unit for 2 1/2 years, put on a little over 17,000 miles with no problems. The tires do not show any abnormal wear given their age and mileage.

Having said that though, I am planning to switch to Maxxis tires this coming spring but I have not had any bad experiences so far with the Missions.

GOTTOYS

My China bombs have about 1,000 miles on them. I've researched this St vs LT tire thing for weeks. As soon as I get it back from the dealer who is taking care of some warranty issues it goes in for a new set of AMERICAN made B.F. Goodrich Commercial LT tires. I have yet to find one single complaint about using this tire on a fiver after reading dozens of posts from satisfied users. Let the ST vs LT tire discussions go on. In the meantime I'll be rolling down the highway with much less concern about tire problems. Next year about this time I'll let all of you know how they're working out. I'm more than willing to take my chances with them....Don

GOTTOYS

Interesting...but if you look on the sidewall of the tires that even Heartland uses on units with 7,000# axles it says "LT" on the them, Carraige uses LT tires as do several other manufacturers. With such a limited selection of American made ST tires (2 that I know of) I'm willing to take my chances as have probably, thousands of others. Before they had ST tires what did we use?...As I said this controversy will go on for a long time. I'm giving the LT tires a shot. What's the worst that will happen? They might have blow outs just like the Chinese tires tires will have FOR SURE....JMHO..Don

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

Don, your kinda right on the LT thing but all LT's aren't the same animal. The Goodyear G614 RST is a LT tire but the manufacturer states is suitable for trailers , due to there construction. I don't think you will find the same statement on other manufacturer sites. I am not saying folks don't run LT tires on there rig but just not totally suitable compared to what a good ST tire should be and within the weights needed. Here is a link.......Kenny

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html

GOTTOYS

Kenny, I can't agree more that the Goodyear G614 tire would be a good choice except for one thing. It is a load range "G" rated tire. My 6,000# axles use a "E" rated tire. I assume my wheels are only rated for the 80 PSI that is the maximum pressure for a "E" rated tire. Putting a "G" rated tire which needs 110 PSI to develop it's maximum capacity and running it at 80 PSI the maximum my wheels are rated for would be counter productive and could cause an excessive build up of heat. At least that's what I've been led to believe. If that tire was available in the load rating I need I would be on them but I gotta draw the line. Can't afford new wheels too at this point. I've read tons of positive threads about the B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs in this application on another large forum. I've bought a set and have my China Bombs sold to a guy wanting to put them on a utility trailer. My cost to swap tires will be in the $350.00 range when it's all done. I would have had to pull them off anyway to swap to metal valve stems so I can install a TPMS so I'm saving a little there. I'm going for it. If they don't work out that's life. There are no other choices in a "Good" ST tire anyway they're almost all Chinese....Don

jnv

Snapper - We had a similar problem as you did. We have a NT 2009 21FBS TT. We also found cracking between the treads after a season and a half - around 10,000 miles. We replaced these tires with Goodyear Marathons. However, I did not contact the manufacturer for Duro. I am very happy with the Goodyear tires so far. FYI - I know exactly what my trailer weighs loaded and I check the tire pressure prior to leaving on a trip and before going home. JNV