Why is everything so DARK?

Currently looking at the Bighorn 3010 RE. Love the layout and amenities but we're wondering if anyone has any insight into why everything in the Heartland RV's is so dark? So much heavy wood and dark cabinetry often seems to make a space feel cavelike. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

danemayer

Hi TheReluctantCalifornian,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

It's a busy time of year for the factory, so I don't know if you'll hear directly from the Bighorn GM.

Heartland has a couple of ladies working on interior design and decor who are always attempting to create choices that will appeal to the broadest possible set of RVers. When we bought our Landmark in 2010, I recall most RV interiors using light stains, like Oak. But buyer preferences were changing and ours came with an intermediate Cherry which happens to match our preferences very nicely. In following years the woodwork went much darker, then to a lighter Pecan, and apparently now darker once again. It's all about making the coaches attractive to as many people as possible.

We prefer an open and light feel inside. Our Rushmore is a rear entertainment floor plan which has large windows on all 3 sides of the living area. I don't know if the 3010RE has a rear window, but if you can find a floor plan with windows all around, that may appeal to you.

CoveredWagon

Currently looking at the Bighorn 3010 RE. Love the layout and amenities but we're wondering if anyone has any insight into why everything in the Heartland RV's is so dark? So much heavy wood and dark cabinetry often seems to make a space feel cavelike. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

We noticed while shopping that if the shades were down things seemed few dark and closed in, however when the shades were up and light was coming in things appeared to be more open and much bigger. It's all about perception and personal taste.

Garypowell

Our 3010RE (2013) has lots of windows too. The large window in the end cap is right behind the pop up tv. We quickly discovered too much light came in to watch tv if the sun was up.

Bought a 1/2 " piece of blue insulation board and covered it up. It also helps with heat from the sun when that end has a southern exposure. Through the shade, if the sun is bright we get a blue glow.

kkamshop

I can't even think about trading our 2009 Landmark until someone comes out with a lighter color scheme. We also have the light cherry and I even think it is too dark - just because there is soooo much of it.

I wish Heartland would take a leap of faith and make an interior that looks like a beach cottage - I bet they would be surprised how many people would love it.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Our '17 Bighorn has lighter stained wood plus we went with the gray upholstery which to us lightens the interior. Plus the DW has added a number of brighter accents such as floor runners (we have the full vinyl option) wall hangings, etc.
we too are not fans of the super dark interiors found in many RVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't even think about trading our 2009 Landmark until someone comes out with a lighter color scheme. We also have the light cherry and I even think it is too dark - just because there is soooo much of it.

I wish Heartland would take a leap of faith and make an interior that looks like a beach cottage - I bet they would be surprised how many people would love it.

A few years ago DRV had an interior where all the wood was painted a pale green color. Although it was "light an airy", it was too much green, for my taste. Because of the painted cabinetry/trim, the unit also look much cheaper than those with wood cabinetry.

I have seen some makeovers where folks have painted cabinetry and trim white, even a Big Country 4010 like we have. It does create a different feel! But one I am not sure would appeal to the majority.

rxbristol

My wife does not like the dark wood in our Landmark and guess what my winter hobby is going to be...painting. I've already painted the island and some wainscoting that I installed. If you buy a top of the line paint it will hold up well.

pegmikef

Our 3010RE (2013) has lots of windows too. The large window in the end cap is right behind the pop up tv. We quickly discovered too much light came in to watch tv if the sun was up.

I had my MCD shades installed at the factory in McKinney, TX and because of this very problem, I had the night shade motorized so I can raise and lower it by remote control whenever the sun's position warrants that. Like Dan's Landmark, the 3010RE living area has windows on three sides, but the area is a lot smaller.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
I agree things are too dark. I'm tired of looking at brown. Everything brown the walls, curtains, bedding flooring etc. I love my 2013 key largo and the cabinets are a cherry which we love but their is too much brown all over it I had to try and lighten the bedroom up with a lighter quilt and pillows and working on the rest but I wish they would begin to put other colors choices other than brown. The light grey is beginning to come to light and I do like it in some of the models. I like brighter colors brown really isn't a color I care for but we bought the unit off the lot and had no choice.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I recall at one of the prior Goshen rallies, HL's designers displayed samples of future stains and fabrics. Dark was an understatement.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Things can change even in the same production year. We have friends with the same model as ours and a couple months older, their interior is dark and ours is lighter.