Windows that don't leak cold air...

Litz

<p>
I have a Landmark San Antonio 2013...its fine until it gets below 40 degrees and the wind is blowing. Every single window leaks in cold air..we have taped up half and will probably have to seal them all shut soon. Cold air even blows in from the heater vents when its not on. To make matters worse..it will be 18 here in dallas tonight..this trailer was not made for that, for sure.</p>

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another North Texan! Welcome to the forum!

I am guessing you have single-pane windows? That may be why you feel the cold more readily. The windows have small weep holes at the bottom to let interior moisture exit the frame. That may be the source of the cold air.

We just make sure to keep our blinds down most of the time to avoid feeling cold from our single-pane windows.

You could consider skirting the coach with insulation board to help keep the drafts from under the coach. Not sure why, but moist cold in Texas feels far worse than dry cold in Colorado! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddhuy

Interesting point TravelTiger. Water conducts heat 25 times faster than air so I would imagine that humid air would feel worse than a drier air.

danemayer

Temps last night were around -5 to -10F. We were comfortable in our Rushmore. Dual pane windows help.

I just measured the temps with an infrared thermometer. Interior is at 68 in the living room. Ceiling is 70. Floor is 62. Exterior walls are 60-65. On the rear doorside corner, the dual pane glass is 55. Window frame is the coldest at 47.

Flbirds

Check in basement behind wall in mechanical for cut outs around pipes, we stuffed pipewrap in the areas to keep cold air out, also check air ducts behind the wall to be sure they are all connected. The cold air in duct probably just cold air thermal movement if all ducts are sealed at connections. Also check around microwave, we stuffed hot pads in voids between it and cabinet when wind was bad and sealed fan screen under microwave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Our 2013 Key Largo has done great in temps MUCH lower than 18 degrees...we do have the Yeti pack and dual pane windows. We find pulling the blinds really helps with cold radiating from the glass...we have never had window leakage, and never felt cold air coming in the heat ducts.

We have actually stayed quite comfortable in temps down to -6...

Litz

<p>
Well, it appears not only the windows leak but the slide outs are really bad. There is air coming in the back end wall at the floor on the slideouts. It looks like I will have to rip up the carpet and and caulk the seams ...something I shouldnt have to do. Im real glad I got this thing cheap. p.s. about pulling down the blinds to make it warmer...tell me your not really serious about that?? and ..dual pane windows dont stop the air from rushing in .</p>

Litz

<p>
Check in basement behind wall in mechanical for cut outs around pipes, we stuffed pipewrap in the areas to keep cold air out, also check air ducts behind the wall to be sure they are all connected. The cold air in duct probably just cold air thermal movement if all ducts are sealed at connections. Also check around microwave, we stuffed hot pads in voids between it and cabinet when wind was bad and sealed fan screen under microwave
</p>
<p>
 </p>
<p>
Believe me, we have foam stuck in every crevice around the bed slideout...cold air comes in everywhere. Its nothing I cant eventually fix, just didnt think I should have to do it on this level of trailer. These are just all design flaws that can be fixed. It will just be a hassle to have to stick foam everywhere everytime you move..which we wont do very often. It does amaze me that the factory thought it to expensive to seal around the floor and wall of the slideouts.</p>

Litz

Another North Texan! Welcome to the forum! I am guessing you have single-pane windows? That may be why you feel the cold more readily. The windows have small weep holes at the bottom to let interior moisture exit the frame. That may be the source of the cold air. We just make sure to keep our blinds down most of the time to avoid feeling cold from our single-pane windows. You could consider skirting the coach with insulation board to help keep the drafts from under the coach. Not sure why, but moist cold in Texas feels far worse than dry cold in Colorado! ;) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The glass being single pane is not at all the problem...cold air coming in around the frame and slideout floors is...a major problem.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I think that some of the story is lacking in information. Did you buy the LM new or used? If used...what do you know about it? Does it have a clean or salvage title? If new...why have you not had your dealer address these problems? How old is the LM? Your statement " I'm real glad I got this thing cheap" makes me wonder, cause even a used LM "aint cheap". BTW, How "cheap is cheap"? And yes...pulling down the blinds DOES help. There are "D" seal's all the way around the slides and on the body of the coach....are they in place? Maybe the slides need to be adjusted to seal better. Maybe you need to call HL and see what they suggest to cure these issues.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I will say, a Landmark is not a sticks and bricks home. We've been in -13 in our coach, and yes, corners of slides and at the floor, you will feel cold. We've even had frost in the corners. If you are in the Dallas area, I would recommend Blue Moon mobile RV Repair. Contact HL for prior approval to use them for warranty work, but they should do excellent investigative and repair work if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VMooreSR

I think that some of the story is lacking in information. Did you buy the LM new or used? If used...what do you know about it? Does it have a clean or salvage title? If new...why have you not had your dealer address these problems? How old is the LM? Your statement " I'm real glad I got this thing cheap" makes me wonder, cause even a used LM "aint cheap". BTW, How "cheap is cheap"? And yes...pulling down the blinds DOES help. There are "D" seal's all the way around the slides and on the body of the coach....are they in place? Maybe the slides need to be adjusted to seal better. Maybe you need to call HL and see what they suggest to cure these issues.

X2 on what Bob said!!

TXTiger

Whenever it gets cold I resolve the problem of heating my rig by moving to a warmer area ! ! ! Thats why they have wheels.

Litz

<p>
Bob&Patty;345826 said:
</p>
<p>
 </p>
<p>
Its a 2013 bought used at one of DFWs largest rv dealers..clean title. There was no difference between ours and the 2014 sitting next to it we looked at. As soon as it warms up I will fix all of these problems. Im just sayin its totally ridiculous that I can hold my hand down on the floor at the rug and bottom of the slide out and feel cold air coming in numerous places..and this same thing duplicates throughout the rv. Now, Im not talking about feeling cold, Im talking about feeling actual cold air blowing in.Other than these things, this RV is in perfect condition in every aspect..and the full paint is flawless. One plus is the door is sealed good. As far as what we paid...I paid the same thing a buddy of mine paid for a new 34 ft. lesser brand 5 years ago.</p>

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK, you bought it used. These are the cold, hard, facts. Did they buy your coach from an auction or was it traded in? If from an auction....who knows where or whats its been through. Have you talked to your dealer about repairing these issues? After all they took your money and should stand behind what they sell. If you purchased any kind of warranty/insurance policy...it most likely will not cover adjustments. Most of what you stated are simple easy repairs. Slides are easy to adjust. If you call HL with your VIN# handy....they can tell you lots of things about your LM, but Im sure the 1st owners info will not be one of them. If at anytime you want me to walk you through the slide adjustments.....send me a PM and I will PM you my PH#.

Jasonrs1319

OP why are you our do you seem so angry with the folks here on the forum. People offer you possible solutions and sPend time trying to help you. Have some respect and show it to others!

kowAlski631

I hope you understand that we're owners of Heartland trailers just like you. People are just trying to help you & are asking questions to get the whole picture so they can. We're pretty friendly here.

Martha

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

Litz

OK, you bought it used. These are the cold, hard, facts. Did they buy your coach from an auction or was it traded in? If from an auction....who knows where or whats its been through. Have you talked to your dealer about repairing these issues? After all they took your money and should stand behind what they sell. If you purchased any kind of warranty/insurance policy...it most likely will not cover adjustments. Most of what you stated are simple easy repairs. Slides are easy to adjust. If you call HL with your VIN# handy....they can tell you lots of things about your LM, but Im sure the 1st owners info will not be one of them. If at anytime you want me to walk you through the slide adjustments.....send me a PM and I will PM you my PH#.

We bought from one of their customers that gets a new rv every year...please get over your salvage auction stuff. The slide outs need no adjustments..they are not the problem...the problem is air coming thru the walls at the bottom where the floor meets at the outside. That is a design problem or factory build problem.I know how to fix it and will...I will take pics when I do and show everyone.