Winter traveling

Jackson2

Does anyone know if you can run the furnace in a trailer in cold weather while traveling down the road??? We will be leaving N. Illinois in cold weather heading for AZ. in just a couple weeks.. Thanks for any advice..

jbeletti

Does anyone know if you can run the furnace in a trailer in cold weather while traveling down the road??? We will be leaving N. Illinois in cold weather heading for AZ. in just a couple weeks.. Thanks for any advice..

It will generally remain lit and running but you need to be mindful of how many vents would be covered up with closed slides. Sufficient heat must get out of the furnace or it could be damaged or worse.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have made several trips from WI to TX in the winter and never ran the furnace while traveling. Only turn it on at our stops.
There may be some risk in running your furnace while traveling as some of the heat ducts might be covered by the slides.
We normally run the heat the day before leaving as that is our packing day. Then turn the furnace off as we travel.
I have the coach water system winterized so we just jugs of water for our needs till we get to a warmer climate. Usually Mississippi.
This has always worked for us.

Peace
Dave

Big-B

We left Michigan about a week and a half ago in 20 degree weather. The first 2 nights it got down to about 15. I had put about 30 or 40 gallons of water in the fresh water tank but didn't run any water up into the system until about 3 days into the trip to keep the lines from freezing.

Pretty much what Cookie said.

Jackson2

Thanks guys for your advice. I'll just leave the tanks dry till we get to warmer weather!!