Wintering in Texas - Lagoons RV Resort

ncc1701e

Guys,

We are looking at spending a couple or three months in Texas this winter. It will be the first time for us. If anyone has any recommendations I'd be happy to hear from you. I've looked at a couple possibilities and any feedback would also be wonderful. Looking at maybe:

1) Lagoons Rv Resort
2) Ancient Oaks Rv
3) Or any other?

Tom

GOTTOYS

Depends on what kind of weather you're looking for. We stayed in the Kerrville area last Winter and are going back again the end of Jan. Several nice places around there. A little cooler the first half of Feb. then it warmed up nicely. Nicely to us is 70's. If you want warmer you will have to go farther South to the Rio Grand Valley. There are some websites that rate the various RV parks. Check out some of your choices through them. I wouldn't wait much longer for a reservation. The place we stay at was 75% reserved for this Winter as of Feb. 2011..You'll still be able to find something though it may not be your first choice. After you spend your first season there you will get a much better idea of how it all works. You'll meet a lot of people and get many ideas from them. We enjoyed it a lot....Don

noobee

Guys,

We are looking at spending a couple or three months in Texas this winter. It will be the first time for us. If anyone has any recommendations I'd be happy to hear from you. I've looked at a couple possibilities and any feedback would also be wonderful. Looking at maybe:

1) Lagoons Rv Resort
2) Ancient Oaks Rv
3) Or any other?

Tom

It might be helpful if you indicated what part of Texas..... TEXAS IS BIG!!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just to give you an idea of how large Texas is...it is 850 miles or so from Orange (east border) to El Paso (west border). About the same as from New Orleans to Indianapolis. It is about the same from the 'Pan Handle" northern border to "the valley" south border. The winter weather in Amarillo is close to what it is like in Indianapolis (snow and freezing) and the Valley winter weather is close to what you would see in southern Florida (mild and rarely if ever snow and freezing). Here is Houston we get a dusting of snow every 4-5 years once or twice a season and a few cold (25-35) days in the winter but mostly above freezing during the winter. We are 100 miles north of Houston and do not winterize our rig but do keep it plugged in and run the furnace set on 40 in the winter on the coldest days. Also we do drain the water tanks in the winter but no anti-freeze. There are many nice parks all over the state to stay in the winter however many many 'snowbirds' chose the Rio-Grande Valley area or around Corpus Christi. The Kerrville/San Antonio area is nice too but is colder than the valley in the winter. The Houston/Galveston area is more mile due to its proximity to the Gulf of Mexico.

stan53tt

Tom,

We've stayed at Lagoons in Rockport on our way to The Rio Grande Valley for a week or so. It's a nice park with concrete roads and sites. The sites however are a little on the short side. Beautiful landscaping and green grass. The park has a good "feel". We enjoyed the activities, small cafe, and indoor pool. It's nice to visit the coast activities nearby. Port Aransas etc. If I remember correctly the park is usually at capacity during the winter months.

But if you're going to Texas in the winter you have to give the 'Valley" a try. If you like to keep busy that's the place to be. Music Jams, Quality entertainment, dances, dinners and all kinds of clubs and classes, are abundant as you can visit other parks for activities, and they are reasonably nearby. Check out this site: http://www.wintertexaninfo.com/SITEDIR1.html There's alot of parks to choose from and they range in price and amenities. It's best to get recommendations, but we went in blind a couple of years ago, and it doesn't take long to see what suits you. Most parks haven't been to capacity the last few years so you can stay on a monthly basis, although they'll try to sign you up for longer terms. We stay in Pharr,TX, which is central to what we like to do. Good Luck...........Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have stayed at Ancient Oaks. If you can get one of the concrete pads it is not bad. I felt the owner needed to learn how to maintain an RV park. Not my cup of tea although my bro likes it.
Being your first year in the area you can look around at other parks to get an idea of what you may like.
We now stay in Aransas Pass.

Peace
Dave

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Nc we have been researching the area in Rockport and Port Aransas and have decided that we will spend the month of Oct in the Austin area and travel to Rockport area and look at the parks to make a decision. We are taking a chance that we can get a space, if we can't at least we will know where to make a reservation for next year. I have heard good and bad about a lot of the parks and we have made a list of them so that we can see which one fits us. Let us know which one you chose and maybe all of the heartland family can meet up while down there. Don't forget the meet and greet in Misson.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
NC We made it to Rockport to visit and look around this weekend, we visited about a million RV parks (it seemed like) I prepared a list with pricing and address for Port Aransas, Aransas Pass and Rockport-Fulton area. We did find spaces in some and others were filled up. We were very lucky as our first choice had 1 space left and we were able to get it. We will be at Drifters Resort. Usually if there is resort after the name it is high priced but in this case it was in the middle and something we could afford easly. Bayview has spaces available just north of Rockport about 5 miles. This is a great little town and they seem to welcome winter Texans. Let us know if you stay there so that all of the Heartland members can get together.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Check out Bustertown RV Park in Livingston Tx. It is brand new right behind Buster McNutty's Restaurant on US 190. It is about 3 miles west of Livingston, (pop 5900). Livingston is the world headquarters of Escapees and has a Super Wal-Mart, Lowes many restaurants and plenty of Antique shopping. On the 3rd Monday weekend of every month there is a giant Flea Market at Pedico Park. Lake Livingston is 6 miles west of the park. The RV Park has 101 site with all but 3 being long pull-throughs. They have free wi-fi, free cable tv, and 20,30, 50 amp hook-ups at each site. There are plenty of trees for shade. There is also a fishing pond although the water level is low due to the Texas drought. The rates are $450 a month including electric.

rick_debbie_gallant

Guys,

We are looking at spending a couple or three months in Texas this winter. It will be the first time for us. If anyone has any recommendations I'd be happy to hear from you. I've looked at a couple possibilities and any feedback would also be wonderful. Looking
1) Lagoons Rv Resort
2) Ancient Oaks Rv
3) Or any other?

Tom

We be headin fer Texas as I write this post. We be stayin in Woody Acres in Fulton Texas. This will be our fourth winter there and at the same park. See ya all there!

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
This will be our 6th year in Aransas Pass, this year we are staying at Southern Oaks, site 506.... will arrive Nov around nov 1or 2 staying until mid march... stop over coffee pot always on...