Winterizing Big Horn Camper/where are the low point drains.

babs8290

Can you tell me how to winterize this camper. Our temps are dropping fast here in norther New York. Big Horn 3685RE with a Splendede 2100 washer combo. Thanks for your help. Step by step please.

danemayer

Hi babs8290,

Winterizing can vary a bit by model because of different options, model and floorplan, and age of the trailer. Let me point you to a video that demonstrates winterizing an Elkridge. It's pretty close to what you have.

On the washer, you need to get antifreeze to flow into the drum, through the washer's internal drain, and into the drain pipe p-trap. I would suggest using Cycle A to get the antifreeze in the drum and Cycle C to run it into the drain. I would suggest not skimping so as to be sure the washer and drain and p-trap are protected.

If you have an icemaker and/or water dispenser, the video suggests getting professional help. The Dometic 1350 manual has a winterizing procedure, but you have to use compressed air - no antifreeze. The basics include evacuating the water feed line that starts behind the UDC, evacuating the water lines (and dispenser tank) inside the refrigerator, and evacuating the water feed solenoid on the back of the refrigerator (which requires you trigger icemaker water feed and water dispenser water feed while applying compressed air).

It's also possible to skip antifreeze by using compressed air at 20psi going into the city water connection to evacuate all the water lines including washer and icemaker.

Regardless of method, don't forget the toilet, the black tank flush, and the outside shower. They're easy to miss.

And regardless of which method you use, you'll have to make sure there's RV antifreeze in each p-trap.

Very important: RV antifreeze is different from automotive antifreeze. They're not interchangeable.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Not sure what year your BH was made but in the last 2 years, HL has discontinued with the outside low point drains taps. Our 2012 coach don't have them either.