Wondering how to fix the bottom of the slideouts

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can call Heartland Customer Service, too, and ask for the "Parkland Slide Repair" kit. Ask for your Club Member's discount if you order it. Have your VIN handy and order a kit for each slide you want to retrofit. The bedroom slide does not need one, though.

bighorn3370

Take a good look at your slides. The only one on my 3370rl that had rollers was the bed slide. If you look at my first post you will see the roller marks. The rear slides do not have rollers. They slide on a plastic or teflon looking pice.

JohnDar

In my '09 BH3670, the bedroom slide bottom is white and the edges are covered. My main slide, kitchen and entertainment slides have the black coated plywood with about 1/4 - 3/8" of edge exposed. There is no plastic piece on them. Those are the ones I'll be retrofitting.

bighorn3370

JohnDar, the plastic pieces are under the edge of the slide and run the length of the slideout. If you pull up the carpet, you will see it. If I get anymore wear on the two rear slides, I will order two more kits and install them. I feel that with rollers on the bed slide runing on the strips and the flashing protecting the edges of the back slides, all things should be good.

lhetsler

This won't help if you already have damage. When I first got my 08 Bighorn, I gave it a good going over and one of the things I did not like was the bare plywood showing so I put two coat of black spray on them. This was before I had heard of any problems. Now that I have read on this site many who are having a problem, Keep inspecting mine and have no swelling or pealing at all. So maybe something as simple as coating the edge of the slide bottom is enough protection if you don't have any damage already. I understand that they make them a little differently now protecting this edge, but just offer this as a help to those who don't yet have damage. It has been over two years since I did this and no sign of any problem.

JohnDar

JohnDar, the plastic pieces are under the edge of the slide and run the length of the slideout. If you pull up the carpet, you will see it. If I get anymore wear on the two rear slides, I will order two more kits and install them. I feel that with rollers on the bed slide runing on the strips and the flashing protecting the edges of the back slides, all things should be good.

The repair, using the plastic strips and 105 adhesive, looks like it goes on the bottom of the slide floor, so I don't understand how pulling up the carpet would show them. I currently do not have any damage on my slides, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (sorry for the cliche'). I'll be picking up some aluminum trim next week while we're "in residence" and doing the mod on the three with exposed edges on the black bottoms. If nothing else, it give me a "fix" for my woodworking hobby addiction to fiddle around with the rig while we at it. Beats snorting sawdust through a straw.

bighorn3370

JohnDar Yes the repair kit goes on the under side. I was trying to say that if you pull the carpet up a Little you will see what the slideout slides on. On my bed slide the rollers where marking up and digging in to the plywood. Because of this I thought it was Bertter to put the strips there. The rear slides had wear on the bottom edges, I filled it in with 105 let it set up over night. When I put the flashing over the end it also covered up where the plywood had been damaged. I also put the 105 on the flashing to seal it to the plywood. I also think you are on the right track fix it before their is a problem.

JohnDar

I'll probably be under the bed this trip (not looking for goblins) to modify the flimsy panel under it to add some storage next to the mechanism. And take a peek at the outlet wiring. Then I'll tackle the slide jobs. But the extended weather forecasts up there are looking mighty fine for almost the next two weeks, so floating around the lakes may have to take some occasional precedence over maintenance.

bighorn3370

I think floating with a cold one would be much better time spent. I looked under my bed last week and HL had everything tied up and out of the way. You should have plenty of room to make some storage under the bed.

Hi, I have a thread called "slide pieces and floor" that tells and shows how I did mine and also a few things I learned along the way. I do not know how to create A link to this thread so just search on 'slide pieces and floor" and you should see what I learned. If you need more help let me know with a message.
al

Not trying to hijack this thread...but was wondering if anyone who has applied to "repair kit" for the underside edge of the slides, has had any problem with them not holding?? Put ours on just over a month ago, and noticed today each one of the strips is rippled and the adhesive is giving way....anyone else have this problem?

Yep after a few months one side has pulled off. The double sided tape came loose. I had ordered the metal angle pieces from HL due to delamination. I re-attached the plastic pieces with some heavy duty auto double sided tape and installed the white metal angle pieces. I don't think they will pull off again. All the others are still holding fine. .

Mine have been on for about a month now and the strips and corner flashing are holding fine with no issues. I did use lots of silicone on the angle pieces and a generous amount of adhesive that Heartland sent on the strips.

Tom of Ypsi

The factory has them in stock, I just picked one up there. Make a phone call next week to the service center and they should have one sent to you probably within a couple of days.