Wondering how to fix the bottom of the slideouts

MD Buck

Jim, received e-mail from Rex Kriner today and he is going to mail a repair kit. I had also asked that he include directions for the kit's use.

I have a 2008 Big Horn 3670. The last time I used my trailer the kitchen slide out when I retracted it in it tore up the flooring. The side with the refrigerator is about 3/8” lower than the other side.
I suspect the track assembly may have loosed up on the end that is towards the center of the trailer. When I detached the trailer from the truck I could hear a metal popping and clicking sound coming from the frame. I have emailed this information to the factory and have not received any information as of yet.
I was able to adjust the slide to enable me to close up the unit, I will have to replace the flooring, the slide tore up a 5” X 5” area.
I know that this may not be under warranty but I wanted to inform the factory of the problem and a get possible cause and solution.
Otherwise we love our trailer.

jbeletti

...I know that this may not be under warranty but I wanted to inform the factory of the problem and a get possible cause and solution...

Hi Jack,

The best way to inform the factory is to email them pictures of what happened, along with a good description of it, what you did to resolve yours and your contact info and VIN.

Email Customer Service with this data at service@heartlandrvs.com

Thanks,

Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
aatauses
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to the thread..
I am including some photos hope they are clear enough to help you. It is difficult to photograph black on black and underneath the slide.

The best instructions I can give you is what I witnessed when they installed them. My kit did not have instructions either.

When they put the striips on they used a calking gun and put the contact glue in the middle of the strip then removed the end tape cover and started to remove the tape covers on the edge a little at a time as they installed it on the outer edges of the slide. On one photo you can see the image of how the glue was zig zaged down the length of the strip. I believe the strips were longer than the slide so they cut them off as they got to the edge of the slide. As I remember they started applying it along the edge beginning on the inside of the slide near the trailer body and finished to the outside.

Hope this helps.
BC

Attachments

• IMG_0686 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0686 [800x600].JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0687 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0687 [800x600].JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0688 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0688 [800x600].JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0689 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0689 [800x600].JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0690 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0690 [800x600].JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0691 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0691 [800x600].JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 239

MD Buck

Received the repair kit today from Parkland Plastics. No instructions either so thanks Bob hopefully using your instructions and pictures I can get it installed. For those interested, it came as part no. XXX0060M Repair Kit HRV. It is basically two strips of plastic with double sided tape on one side and a caulking tube of adhesive.

aatauses

Thanks Bob,
The pictures helped. One last question, did the plastic go under the rollers or plastic guards on the area near the coach or did they just put them close to that area?
thanks again.
aatauses

MD Buck

Got the repair kit. It was enough to repair the main slide, but the slide at the desk also needs a repair so I contacted Rex at Parkland to see if I could get the plastic runners for it too. Installed the first kit and seemed to be easy to do and works ok.

bighorn3370

It has been three weeks, and I still have not heard back from the dealer. I went to the rv show and talked with Tim Kauffman the Heartland rep. Heartland called three days later and is sending me a kit. I'm glad Heartland will stand by their products. Jim has explained to me how to make the the fix. While on the phone with them, I didn't think to ask what the lowest temperature is that the kit can be applied in, as it has been cold and rainy in Michigan. I will need to call back.

andy

im the one that brought up the problem at the hatteras rally with the ent & living room slides an what its doing to my carpets but I havent heard from anybody or seen any repair kits

bighorn3370

Andy, I would call Heartland customer service. I think that after I had talked with them, I had my kit in about 8 working days. Make sure you have your VIN because they will ask for it.

aatauses

MDBUCK,
You said you put your kit on---need some help---next to your unit, did you go under the rolls? I have heard you need to jack up the slide and put the pieces under the rolls and then let your slide go back down?? Thought jacking up the slide may create issues so just curious how you installed yours
thanks
aatauses

bigbird272

My slide is doing the same thing on my 2009 3580 Bighorn. I got sent a kit from Heartland containing only the adhesive, nothing else. It rubs the protective bottom off to expose bare wood. Living here in Western Canada we get a lot of rain. It drips down the slide and underneath to the bare wood. I have contacted Heartland to request the rest of the kit.

Rick

bigbird272

The instructions on how to repair the bottom of the slide is listed under Tools, then go to Heartland Manuals at the bottom and the repair is listed under slideouts.

Rick

DXprowler

Tnx to others on this forum, especially to Al(aatauses), and Heartland for the help getting the parts and instructions on how to do this mod. Just before we left for an 8 nite trip the parts arrived. I then packed the necessary tools, like the 20 ton bottle jack and some pre cut 2x4's, that I would need to support each slide. I had to borrow a few 2x6's to get the jack up high. It's a straight forward job with most of the instructions available on the forum. I measured, cut and installed the corner pieces first then measured, cut and installed the bottom strips. I did need a helping hand to stop the bottom pieces at the inside end of the slide. Be very careful with your fingers! Probably didn't take anywhere near 2 hours. Here are some pics:
slide1..jpgslide2..jpgslide4..jpgslide3..jpg

bighorn3370

We finally had some warm weather in Michigan, so we were able to fix the problem of the delamination of the slide floors. We also did Alan's mod with the flashing.

Attachments

• 101_2366..jpg
    101_2366..jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 101_2364..jpg
    101_2364..jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 101_2365..jpg
    101_2365..jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 101_2369..jpg
    101_2369..jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 125

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After 4 years. While washing the rig today, I discovered the bedroom slide exterior floor was getting soft on the bottom outer corners. No signs of delamination yet but when I pushed up on the plywood it was definitely pretty soft. Hopefully, I'll be able to get this taken care of before we head south this Winter. I'll post more when I get into it.

boatdoc

So who do we talk to at Heartland about this plastic kit for the rollers? I'd like to talk with a person in the "know" and not with someone that's never heard of such a thing as in the comments from Lippert about other problems.
Thanks

jbeletti

Gary, you could call Parkland Plastics, our supplier of the slide room floors and these kits. Pehaps they may have the answers you seek. Their number is somewhere here on the forum.