Worn hitch pin

sunriverman

I have noticed that the hitch pin on my 2010 Sundance MK2900 has begun to have a wear point on the back side creating a little slop in starting and stopping. Has anyone had a welding shop build the wear point back up and then grind it smooth again?
Might there be other solutions? Thanks. Rod

sengli

I would think due to the liability, welding shops wouldnt touch that pin. You might consider upgrading to a new more ryde pin box. Or find someone who has upgraded, and buy thier OEM pin box cheap.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that might be helpful is to keep a little grease on the portion of the pin where the jaws grab it.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

And you might want to inspect your hitch and then call the manufacturer. This might mean some parts are not holding the pin like they should.

We did not have the wear but began to have a sloppy fit with our Kurt about 2 years ago. Described it and sent photos with the pin in and under pull and reverse pressure.....and the next day we had a new hitch head.

I don't know exactly what was wrong but Kurt was concerned and replaced the head.

sunriverman

My thought was to fill in area that is worn and then grind it smooth as is done when we hard surface excavator buckets and teeth. The hitch pin attachment to the frame is fine. The problem was created by the Reese hitch which has the old style slide lock .

Pizzaguy

I am guessing that the hitch you have in your truck has the bar that slides to close the hitch to get that kind of wear. You may also want to consider a hitch that has the jaws that clamp around the pin. Curt makes a nice hitch with that type of jaw.

GOTTOYS

Get rid of that slide bar style hitch and get a new one that has wrap around jaws instead....Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As suggested, you are putting grease on all the contact points of the pit to hitch? Had our Horn for 7 years and have no wear on the pin itself. I use lithium grease, wipe off the pin and re-grease the pin everytime we travel.

JanAndBill

I would be hesitant to do ANY welding on the pin as I believe it's heat treated. If it's to bad I'd replace it. Or as others have suggested do away with the bar type hitch. Reese has a new one out 16 & 20k, that is built like a smaller version of one used on a big truck. I have one and love it