Worried weight 3755FL for 2008 F350

Bruce1234

I really like the 3755FL. I am struggling with Bighorn weight for my current truck. I am not going to buy new truck. We have a nice 2012 Alpine 3450fl now so no current issues with weight. My truck is 08 ford 350 single wheel. It is ok up to 3900 pin weight so Bighorn pin weight shouldn't present a problem. My worry is the total weight I can pull in brochure shows 15,200lbs. This Bighorn is 12,900 empty so is this simply too heavy for my current truck once it is loaded? I have heard 1000 lbs of personal stuff would be allot and most folks do not have that much.
Thanks for any thoughts. Bruce

jimtoo

Hi Bruce.

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

There are lots of folks pulling bigger, heavier units than that with smaller or about the same truck. I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon with more info. I would think your towing capacity would be more than that.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Thenomads

I think I won't open any can of worms by commenting on the truck, I am sure you will have many helpful comments on what the truck can or cannot tow. I would like to suggest weighing your current Alpine loaded for a trip and subtracting the dry weight to get an accurate idea of how much you load into your trailer. We have a Big Horn 2985 RL (we love it!) and we have weighed it packed for a trip a few times and we usually carry 900-1000 lbs. I don't think we are carrying any more than most and definantly less than some. That way you actually know how much weight you will be putting into that new Big Horn. I know you will get a lot of helpful hints on this forum, happy travels.

MRBailey

We are new to this lifestyle, but we have a pretty large rig and we also have a Ford F350 2009, and we have never had a problem (yet). I have seen bigger rigs pulled with the same get-up. Happy travels!

donr827

I have a 08 Ford F350 SRW short bed. As someone mentioned check the weights on your current trailer and compare to the 3755FL. I have pulled up to a 36 foot Hitchhiker LS with the truck but that maxed me out. Pulling the trailer might be easy but it is stopping the trailer that you have to worry about..........Don

adam

If your serious about buying ask your local dealer to hitch to the Bighorn and take it around the block. I think you will find that the front living room units have higher pin weights than others.

See how much your truck squats, while rear airbags don't legally increase your carrying capacity they will level the truck out and help with the ride.

Correct me if I am wrong, is the 3755 not 13,900 empty?

Adam

caissiel

For comfort and stability I would do like I did on mine. 2 leaf of springs on each side really improved the ride. The SRW and the DRW Fords are weak there. I have seen many of these with broken main plies caused by loading heavy, even while not over the GVWR.
The F350 allows to much spring travel. I feel comfortable with 2 in drop with my BC at 12600 empty.

brianharrison

I own a 2008 F350 CC SRW, pull a 12,900 empty, 14,700 full and wet trailer. The pin is 3,000 and I have a washer/dryer up front, no generator. 16,200 GVWR on trailer.

Stock on truck are overloads (camper special option at the time). I upgraded shocks to Bilstein 5100 (4) and added firestone ride rite air bags with manual fill to reduce squat. I am very comfortable running my combination.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Jim.Allison

It not really what you can tow, but rather the GCVWR. The 15000 lb figure you are citing is for the trailer only. The GCVWR is the work your motor, transmission and differential has to do to locomote your entire rig down the road. If that number is exceeded (TV+Rig) then you have an emerging problem. But keep in mind that you are traveling at 65 mph. You are not flogging the truck and you are not involved in stop and go traffic such as that of a local work truck. These published figures are based largely on how they will be treated in the city, not on the interstate or on state roads, or even the occasional grade in a national park. So you must evaluate in a practical manner your application. In your case, I would recommend an auxiliary transmission oil cooler., A fresh lube and filter, transmission oil and filter, and radiator flush, and make sure those u-joints are greased. Perhaps a differential oil change (use a good synthetic in the diff). These things will give you the performance edge you need. But more important than bringing up performance, doing these things are more about preventing maintainance problems that have been neglected from emerging when you are stressing your TV.

I really like the 3755FL. I am struggling with Bighorn weight for my current truck. I am not going to buy new truck. We have a nice 2012 Alpine 3450fl now so no current issues with weight. My truck is 08 ford 350 single wheel. It is ok up to 3900 pin weight so Bighorn pin weight shouldn't present a problem. My worry is the total weight I can pull in brochure shows 15,200lbs. This Bighorn is 12,900 empty so is this simply too heavy for my current truck once it is loaded? I have heard 1000 lbs of personal stuff would be allot and most folks do not have that much.
Thanks for any thoughts. Bruce