Would you go with the self adjusters?

traveler44

I haven't done a bearing repack in a couple of years and I have never done anything to the brakes except inspect and adjust them. I want to install all new brakes this year along with my bearing repacking. I see that I can get the Nev-R-Adjust brakes now. I was wondering if these are the way to go or if anybody has any problems with them? Are all hubs the same quality or are there any better ones? I intend to change the whole brake with backing and all and new hubs. any advice is appreciated. Thanks! Tom

Gary521

The self adjusting brakes are a very good upgrade. I have been extremely happy with their performance. When I added these, I had the drums turned and replaced the bearings with Timken. My old bearings were OK, just felt like doing it.

traveler44

The self adjusting brakes are a very good upgrade. I have been extremely happy with their performance. When I added these, I had the drums turned and replaced the bearings with Timken. My old bearings were OK, just felt like doing it.
Thanks! I am considering going with the 7000# self adjusting brakes to give them a little more stopping power. Another good reason to go with new drums too.

khalsey

I switched mine to the Dexter self adjusting brakes. Worked good for about a thousand miles then a couple of them adjusted up too tight and got hot. After double checking that they were installed with left side back plates on left and right side back plates on right I called dexter. They offered to exchange them for new ones but I had them exchanged for manual adjusting ones. I read up on someone else that had exact same problem and determined that out of round drums caused the problem.

traveler44

I switched mine to the Dexter self adjusting brakes. Worked good for about a thousand miles then a couple of them adjusted up too tight and got hot. After double checking that they were installed with left side back plates on left and right side back plates on right I called dexter. They offered to exchange them for new ones but I had them exchanged for manual adjusting ones. I read up on someone else that had exact same problem and determined that out of round drums caused the problem.
Thanks Keith! I will probably go with the 7000# manual brakes and that will be an upgrade. Good idea to have new drums checked for trueness. A good machine shop could make a skim cut or check for round with an indicator. I had to adjust the controller up before we came down lookout mountain on the way home last week. They held good though coming down the mountain.

traveler44

The expert at Etrailer says that it is best to stay with the brake rating that came with the trailer because of the stronger magnet in the heavier rated brakes. He says that the stronger magnet can cause the trailer to drag too much on the truck when the brakes are applied.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Why stick to drum brakes when you can have superior brakes ?.Read what this RV'er did after he checked into replacing his brakes.
http://roadslesstraveled.us/trailer...disc-brake-conversion-fifth-wheel-rv-upgrade/

That's what I'm talking about. Did the same conversion with the same parts on our BH. Love them. I plumbed ours a little differently running 3/8" tubing to the axles (thanks Dave) and using flexible hose to the calipers.

For us it was well worth the cost to upgrade.

traveler44

We installed the 7000# brake assemblies from Etrailer this morning. They are heavier duty than the originals. The drums are made in America but the ones from Etrailer have 1/2" lug studs and normal 1/2" lug nuts that don't fit the wheel. We went to auto parts and bought fat boy lug nuts and got the wheels back on. I haven't adjusted the shoes properly but I can tell that it has brakes and they work amazingly smoothly with the adjuster turned down low. The wet bolts all took grease while we had each wheel jacked up.

Gary521

You will need to adjust the brakes, just like the non self adjusters, before you take off. You will also need to burnish the brakes. After that, all will be fine.