Yamaha generator

Rschremp

Newbie here with a new 2016 Oakmont. Anyone have any experience with the Yamaha 3000 with 500 boost? I was told it will run everything in my rv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimtoo

Hi Rschremp,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon with some info for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Rschremp,

If your Oakmont has a 50 amp plug, it's actually using two 50 amp circuits from the pedestal for a total of 100 amps, or 12,000 watts of power.

The specs on the generator say it provides 3,000 watts of power with an extra 500 watts available for a short duration boost.

So can you run everything in your trailer? Sure. But not everything at the same time. :(

If your Oakmont has only a 30 amp plug, that's 3,600 watts of power. Your generator would be able to run almost as much as you could run on shore power.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Can you run the A/C and microwave at the same time .....no. Hair dryer and curling iron at the same time maybe. I have a 3000W getset and it struggles to run our microwave 1/2 time oven.

Gaffer

You would be better off with two 2k generators and a parallel kit. You won't need help moving or lifting the 2k gens.

Last edited:

Rschremp

The person who recommended the 2 2ks I was wondering which would be the better brand. It looks like the Yamaha 3k with boost would be sufficient even at 258 lbs??

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
The person who recommended the 2 2ks I was wondering which would be the better brand. It looks like the Yamaha 3k with boost would be sufficient even at 258 lbs??

a
I have been doing research on generators trying to decide what works best. My conclusion is one Honda EU2000i and one EU2000i companion together is a great solution. The companion gives you a 30 amp RV connector and there is a parallel kit so the two units run as one 4000 watt generator. Total weight for both units is 92 lbs and that is a lot lighter than 258 lbs. Also if you need portable power for camping away from the RV a single unit is 2000 watts and only weights 46 lbs making it a great RV generator but also a great tailgating generator. Cost is a little higher than the Yamaha but I believe the benefits out weight (no pun intended) the additional cost.

HornedToad

even at 258 lbs??

My 1st portable Troy Bilt 3000 generator weighed 130 lbs and it was all I could do to load it myself. My 2nd portable Ridgid 6000 generator weighed 250 lbs and even with motorcycle ramps I had to have someone help me load it into the back of the truck. My friends Honda EU7000 generator weighs 250 lbs and he carries it on a bumper rack 18 inches off the ground, he still has to call me to come over and help him load.

It is good advice to get a generator(s) you can load yourself!!!

Last edited:

Rschremp

Then I take it no matter what you use you have to go 50 to 30 and then only ac and a few other things will operate?

danemayer

Then I take it no matter what you use you have to go 50 to 30 and then only ac and a few other things will operate?

From the Heartland Trailer Manual:
AMP Usage
Listed below are components that might be used in HEARTLAND RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, LLC
vehicles and the typical maximum amperage draw each one has. This chart may help you decide which
components you can safely use for an extended period without damage.

Components Amperage
Roof air conditioners (each) 15
Electric water heater 12
Microwaves 12
Hair dryer 8
TV 4
DVD 5
Charger 14
Refrigerator 3.5
110-volt lamp 1.0
If you're running on a 3000 watt generator, that's about 25 amps. The air conditioner will probably take 15 at startup and then need a bit less to keep running. The charger, or power converter will typically run on less than 14, except perhaps when it needs to give the battery a boost. If you're using the water heater and refrigerator in propane mode, you can probably watch TV with the A/C running but could have occasional problems.

avvidclif

a
I have been doing research on generators trying to decide what works best. My conclusion is one Honda EU2000i and one EU2000i companion together is a great solution. The companion gives you a 30 amp RV connector and there is a parallel kit so the two units run as one 4000 watt generator. Total weight for both units is 92 lbs and that is a lot lighter than 258 lbs. Also if you need portable power for camping away from the RV a single unit is 2000 watts and only weights 46 lbs making it a great RV generator but also a great tailgating generator. Cost is a little higher than the Yamaha but I believe the benefits out weight (no pun intended) the additional cost.

The Yamaha EF3000iSEB weighs 149.9 lbs and that weight includes an electric starter and a battery.

I have the EF45000iSE which also has electric start and weighs 194 lbs. It has a 6 gal tank and running 1 AC it will run over 10 hrs on a tank, run the microwave and about anything else except the second AC. It's now for sale as the Toy Hauler has a 5500w Onan and a 30 gal tank.

...I don't know who dreamed up 258 lbs for a 3000w generator...

Nothing against Honda but the biggest difference is color, which do you prefer Red or Blue. When I went shopping the Honda dealer wouldn't even talk about price matching with the internet and the Yamaha dealer did. And I wanted it that day. I did notice that Yamaha now has a 3yr warranty with an option for 6.

sjs731

If you use a Progressive Industries hard wired surge/voltage protector be careful of the Yamaha 2000 watts in parallel. I talked to them and they have problems with the Yamahas not being able to handle the inductive load at AC start up. I sold my Yamahas.

Steve
2007 GMC Duramax/Allison
B&W Companion
2012 Sundance 3300CK

bigdob24

I have two Hondas that I can parallel together or just run one depending on my needs.
They will run my 15K air just fine . I do have to watch other big draws when the air is running.
The gens I have are the models before the companion gen. There is nothing special about the parallel cord that hooks the two together.
I made mine for less than $30 . Just use banana plugs for safety and a RV female receptical in the middle.
Easy to do and a lot cheaper than buying one.
My opinion is The Hondas over any other brand;-)
Dan

Gaffer

I have Hondas and would do it again.