yeti package damage to tanks

Has any 1 heard of mage to tanks..it has been very cold here..-22 wed.has not gotten to 20 degrees sinse home,,,we have a small amount in our tanks,we have had the heat on in our 3585 in our yard but down to 55 inside just for a little heat..i did drain the low point and blew all water lines and added rv anti freeze to all sink/shower traps just incase,,,my yeti switches have been on too,now i read that can burn a hole in the tanks if empty,,this is a 2017 trailer and you would think the factory possibly have adjusted this a little..any and all info appreciated..thanks to all..love our trailer....bill and sally in frozen s.w. Montana...any other s.w. Bighorn forum member who want to chat???

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless you’re using the tanks in that weather, once they’ve been drained, they should not be affected by freezing temps. Pour a gallon of AF into the black and gray tanks and let them get cold. That should take care of any residual water and protect the valves. If you drain the fresh water tank and run the pump dry, you should not need to keep it heated. Any residual water will have plenty of room to expand if it freezes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The tank heating pads are relatively small compared to the surface area on the bottom of the tank. So in order to provide enough heat to keep the tank contents from freezing, they generate relatively high heat over a small area. In normal usage, the heat is dissipated by the water inside the tank. But if there's no water covering the area to which the pad is applied, it just heats up the tank material and can burn holes in the tank. Our first winter in the Colorado mountains, I left the gray tank valves open (gray tanks empty) with tank heaters ON and ended up with several holes in the gray #1 tank. I ended up repairing the tank and replacing that heating pad. Annod Industries very generously provided the $120 replacement pad for just the cost of shipping. I say "very generously" because the failure was not due to a manufacturing defect.

If your rig is in storage for the winter, you should fully winterize and leave the Yeti system OFF.

The tank heating pads are relatively small compared to the surface area on the bottom of the tank. So in order to provide enough heat to keep the tank contents from freezing, they generate relatively high heat over a small area. In normal usage, the heat is dissipated by the water inside the tank. But if there's no water covering the area to which the pad is applied, it just heats up the tank material and can burn holes in the tank. Our first winter in the Colorado mountains, I left the gray tank valves open (gray tanks empty) with tank heaters ON and ended up with several holes in the gray #1 tank. I ended up repairing the tank and replacing that heating pad. Annod Industries very generously provided the $120 replacement pad for just the cost of shipping. I say "very generously" because the failure was not due to a manufacturing defect.

If your rig is in storage for the winter, you should fully winterize and leave the Yeti system OFF.
hey dan,was it tuff to get the tank out,,,what did it take to repair it,,plastic weld,????