Okay do you or don't you need a slider??

rock

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Mt Rushmore, but I can't decide if I need sliding hitch or not. I realize with the extended pin and the Landmark cap design you shouldn't need a slider but I was wondering what everyones real world experiance was with a short bed. If it makes any differance it is a Ford. I would appreciate any input anyone has. Thanks much. Alan

RickNB

Rock
I have only been towing a 5th for 2 months without a slider hitch on a 2002 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab short box and have not had any problems that I would have need a slide hitch for. I have had the Sundance jacknifed around pretty hard on a couple of back ins and no problem if I had to turn any tighter I would only be going sideways so whats the use pull ahead and straighten it up some and try again LOL.

Have fun
Rick

RugRat

Dealer pushed hard on saying I didn't need the slider, but I insisted and negotiated in as part of the deal. Although I probably wouldn't need to, I slide it back when backing into my driveway. Just feels safer and mine (Reese 16K) slides really easy so its not a big deal. I feel better knowing the option is there.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Rock
A slider is really a nice option to have if you are in a real tight campsite. I have a short bed and the only thing I do not like is when the slider is in the back position, the back of the pin box come real near the top of the tailgate. So I try to remember to drop the gate. I have found most of the time, I don't need to slide the hitch and since it is manual, I don't. It is a pain to get out, block the wheels, drop the tailgate, release the hitch, get back in move the truck, get out remove the blocks, get back in the truck then remember where you were planning to go. By this time, I forget the campsite number!

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
I have a SB ford and there is a difference between Ford and GM. Dont know about the Dodge. Ford is 8 inches longer than a short bed GM. With my Ford I dont have a slider and have never been in a position where I wished I did have one. I camp in some tight spots and have been through even tighter fuel stops. Never needed one yet. Been towing with it for 7 years. Hope this helps.

rock

Thanks for the replies. I heard so many good things about the Pullrite superglide that I thought maybe I wanted it even if I don't need it, but it also ways 300 pounds with the rails.

tdharley

Just got back from the RV show in Penn.

Pulled the trigger on a 3400RL.

I talked to everybody there about my 2004 F350 King ranch short bed and a pullrite hitch. All day got different answers from everybody. Then finally went inside to the vendors and starting posiing the same quetion to them.

I finally decided to do it when...get this...... the Reese rep. told me I needed it and to go with the Pullrite............. NO KIDDIN. He also added that Reese has a fully automatic hitch but cannot market it until the beginning of next year.

Anyway I bought the hitch at the show for 1550.00. & 650.00 for the removable rail system & negotiated with my dealer to install it free when I pick up the BH.

KEYSTONE RV CENTER Greencastle, PA ....ROCKS...

kathcon

We have a Ford F250 diesel short bed with a B & W hitch. We haul a Landmark MT. Rushmore and have never had any trouble making turns or backing into sites or driveways. Before this set up we had a 2500 Ram long bed with a Reese hit. Like the present set up much better.
Kathcon

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

To tdharley
Did you buy the pullrite super slide ? If so be aware that you cannot pull another fiver with the hitch unless you put the adapter on the other kingpin. Pull rite makes an adaptor so that your fiver can be towed with a regular set up, but not the other way around. I know this because I have the super slide. I like it but that is a draw back.

tdharley

Thanks for the heads up, but already knew that. I bought one with the unit for emergencies. And actually you put the adaptor on your removable mount head to make it so a regular hitch will accept the pullrite without damaging your hitch plate.

I wound up buying a 3500 RL and so far have not had any problems. Not being able to unhitch at more than a 16 degree angle has been the biggest hinderence. Actually its not too bad just remove the 2 pins that hold the mount head.