PDA

View Full Version : EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: VA, Broadway - 8/27/2010 to 8/29/2010

Hudson
03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
12480 Mountain Valley Rd, Broadway, VA 22815
Venue:
------------------------------

Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA
12480 Mountain Valley Rd
Broadway, VA 22815
Do not call the KOA directly
http://www.koa.com/where/VA/46140/
Pets ok?: Yes
Pet Fee: $0
WiFi available: Yes
WiFi Fee: $0

Details:

Number of sites held: 20
Site fee: $(see below) per night.
Club Member Event fee: $(see below) Per Person
Potluck: Yes
Potluck date: 8/28/2010
Potluck time: 6pm

Event Leader: Hudson(click to contact) (//heartlandowners.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=2329)

Additional Info:

The Virginia Chapter will hold their annual rally for 2010 in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley

THE CAMPGROUND IS SMALL (BUT THE SITES ARE LARGE) SO THE RALLY WILL BE LIMITED TO 20 RIGS

The "Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA" is the kind of campground where you truly feel like you are "camping." No two sites are alike. All the sites are close enough to feel like we are together as a group, but large enough that everyone quite clearly has a camp site all to themselves. The campground itself is nestled deep within the forest canopy at the base of the mountains. The altitude and the shade will make this a cool retreat from the August heat. (The owner said she kept her windows open all summer long last year -- day and night -- with no need for A/C). I am hoping to spend the weekend with the windows open. Deer wander through the property even in the daytime. I personally toured all three rally location candidates before choosing this KOA and without a doubt, this campground will be a truly special and intimate place to have our chapter rally.

Campground Amenities (free unless marked "$"):
Heated swimming pool (no lifeguard), mini golf, pool table, horseshoes, playground, ping pong, hiking trails into the G.W. National Forest, fishing pond, hay rides ($?), propane ($)

All sites have fire ring/pits. Golf carts are not allowed (except for people with handicapped license plates on their tow vehicle -- no hang tags/stickers/decals).

Nearby Attractions:
Caverns (several), historic sites and battlefields, antique shops, Skyline Drive, horseback riding, indoor water park.

Cost:

$35.55 for 30 Amp Back In [3 left]
[SOLD OUT!] $37.58 for 30 Amp Pull Thru
$40.50 for 50 Amp Pull Thru [2 left]

All prices are for full hookups (W/E/S -- no cable/TV) for up to two people (children under 12 are free). "Additional persons 12 years and older are an additional $5 per person per night." Prices are per night and do not include tax.

Television Junkies:
There is no cable TV, only two TV stations in range (PBS and ABC), and satellite reception looked improbable. Plan to spend this weekend with your fellow rally-goers, your kids, your spouse, and/or your pets rather than with your TV. Once you see this CG you will forget all about the boob tube anyway.

Rally Registration:
Registration is now open to all owners of Heartland products, including folks who are not members of the HOC. If you aren't a member of the HOC, then leave "HOC#" blank (even though it says required).

To register, fill out the reservation form (attached, below) and email or PM it to me and mail me a $10 deposit. I just realized I shouldn't put my mailing address, etc. in this announcement, so when you email or PM me, I'll send the address to you. Please do not book a rally site directly through the campground. This is the best way to try to make sure you get the best camp site possible and with far less likelihood of losing your deposit or final payment. The registration form is available in PDF or MS-WORD (.doc) format. You only need to choose one version, whichever one works best for you. The PDF is better for printing or if you don't have MS-WORD.

Register as early as you can. There is a limited number of each kind of site. If the rally fills up early, we can add more if the CG still has sites available.

New: you can stay "extra" nights before or after the rally for the rally rate. Put this in the "Special Requests" section of the form. There's no guarantee you won't need to move, but that's mostly affected by how early you sign up.

Rally Theme:
How many of you came to my first rally ever (Camp Hatteras, 2009)? ... raise your hands ... Okay, so you folks know that if I have themed rally, it will be a wing-ding that will become my full-time job for two months in advance and will be your full-time job for the entire weekend. I had a blast and so did most everyone else (some people thought it was too much work and they are not wrong for feeling that way). As for this rally ...

The theme for this rally is "camping" ... you need to bring your RV, a desire to meet people, and a love of nature. Bring wine, beer, cigars, steaks, marshmallows, and your camera if you've got 'em. If your idea of "camping" is grilling 2" thick sirloins over your camp fire, then that's part of the theme. If camping is your excuse to to get tanked up on beer and smoke cigarettes while jawing about the government, then that's part of the theme. If you go camping to spend all day hiking through the forest and ride your bike, then you're part of this theme too. Like to spend an afternoon around the picnic table as people come and go and kids ride by on bikes? Then welcome to the "camping" themed rally. About the only thing that isn't part of this theme is music/noise/hollering after 10pm.

Meals & Pot Lucks:
In keeping with the theme, pot lucks will be, umm, well, "pot luck." Bring what you want to share. There will be a pot luck dinner for sure, maybe two if people want. And my favorite breakfasts of all are pot luck and since I only get those at rallies, I'm calling a pot luck breakfast on Saturday morning for sure.

The campground offers a pancake breakfast on Sunday mornings in the pavilion. More about that later.

This rally happens the weekend before Labor Day weekend. Bet you'll remember it now. ;)

Who's Signed Up (So Far):

As of 8/19/2010 with 4 slots still open:
Hudson & Tracy Hendren VA ['11 CY 3950 H.D.]
Gus & Debra Funderburg VA ['09 SD 2900MK]
Roger & Kelly Beasley VA ['09 CY 3912]
John & Debra Goddard WV ['08 BH 3670RL]
Eric & Dorothy van Opstal VA ['09 SD 2900MK]
Ken & Marj Gallimore NC ['09 NT 28BHS]
John & Nancy Latham VA ['11 NT 27RBS]
Paul & Elaine Nelson VA ['08 BH 3670RL]
Eric & Hallie Grubaugh NC ['09 SD 3200ES]
John & Deb Bylinski NJ ['09 BH 3055RL]
Mark & Lucia Burton MD ['09 LM Oakmont]
Jim & Harriet Dahlgren ['09 SD 3300SK]
Dwight Edwards & Leslie Whitener ['11 SD MKS2900]
Roger & Nancy Bloom ['10 NT 21FBS]
Mike & Ann Walker ['09 BC 3250TS]
John & Mary Ann Proto ['11 GS 32RE]
Don & Cindy Massengill
Jim & Cheryl Horst

boatto5er
03-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Woo-Hoo! As Darrel Waltrip (and his other brother Darrel) would say, "Let's Go Camping Boys!"

Hudson
03-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Okay, I put the attachment on that I forgot the first time. At Gus' suggestion I also put an MS-WORD version of the form. (I originally built a beautiful PDF Form using OpenOffice ... but when I actually posted the PDF file I was in Windows and foolishly let MS-WORD touch the file ... Apparently MS-WORD does not do PDF Forms. I was rather surprised to see how ugly it turned out when I examined the actual posted PDF file. So the ugly version is also the .doc file too. And I also found out that the regular (free) PDF reader apparently doesn't allow you to "save" a filled in form, you can only print it. So that's life. I was really looking forward to having the PDF Forms data get automatically sucked into my spreadsheet but I will get by. <sniff>)

And I deleted the other thread since I couldn't think of a good reason to have two threads. In the "other thread" I told everyone I had just posted the rally announcement but didn't know where it would turn up on the forum. Well it turned up right here where it belonged anyway. I also apologized in that other thread about taking this long to post the announcement. My excuse was that I was doing my taxes (all told we're talking more than 50 pages just for the returns themselves so it actually is a bigger deal than it sounds). My other excuse is that I try not to even think about anything RV-related as long as the rig is hopelessly winterized ... it's too frustrating ... and when I come back to the forum I find a new rev of the bbs software. So anyway, boo hoo hoo, right? Fuggetaboutit, I'm getting a new season of RVing started now!

beasleyrl
03-10-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm with you Guss! Let's go camping. Enough of this cold and snow! We're in!

fordtech 2008
03-12-2010, 03:59 PM
yeah i'm ready to dewinterize time to go camping, we are in for the broadway rally

happycampernc
03-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Love the theme. Couldn't get any better than that one. I've been ready to go camping since Jan. the weather wasn't making it possible.

camperjohn08
03-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Nancy and I want to attend this event... BUT I have one question... Can we arrive early and leave after the event, and still get these rates???? Since it's a good distance from our house, we would like to stay there at least 4 to 5 days.. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. We need to know in the next couple of days SO.. we can decide on this event..
Thanks
John & Nancy

Hudson
03-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Nancy and I want to attend this event... BUT I have one question... Can we arrive early and leave after the event, and still get these rates???? Since it's a good distance from our house, we would like to stay there at least 4 to 5 days.. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. We need to know in the next couple of days SO.. we can decide on this event..
Thanks
John & Nancy

I assumed people would only want to make it a weekend since it was so close to Labor Day. I'm checking with the KOA about this. I want to make sure nobody has to change sites.

It's taking a little longer because I've got a cold right now and can't talk on the phone. (I haven't been online for 3 days ... if you know me, you know that means I don't feel too good.) I will let you know as soon as I know.

In the mean time, if you want to secure your position on the list, just put in your reg form and under "special requests" put what extra days you want and indicate if its your "preference" or a "requirement". If it's a "requirement" then don't send your check in right away, until after I get a final deal worked out with the KOA and announce that here.

Hudson
03-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Okay, as I expected, the KOA is willing to extend the rally rate for a "reasonable" number of extra nights to people who are also staying both of the "official" rally nights. KOA said they cannot guarantee that nobody will have to move, but I'm guessing we can probably work it all out. The most important thing is to be highest on the sign-up list as possible. As far as money goes, we'll stick with the $10 deposit even if you have extra nights, and you'll pay your entire balance for all your nights when you pay your rally nights final balance. Nice and easy.

So, therefore, if you want to arrive early or stay late please write that under "Special Requests." Let me know which nights you want to add. If you're flexible about which extra nights, mention that. If you're flexible or inflexible about wanting to move sites, put that down. If your extra nights are really important to you or are just a whimsy, mention that. Remember, it's not a computer reading these things (like it was for Hatteras) ... it's just me and I'll email you if I don't understand what you want.

camperjohn08
03-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Nancy and I are planning to attend. Our dates as requested are as follows: Arrive 25 August (Wed) and depart 30 August (Monday). Hopefully everything will work out and we won't have to move from one space to another.. We also prefer a 30 amp pull thru.. I kinda don't like backing-up if I don't have to. And oh yes, the check is in the mail. : o ))
John & Nancy Latham

Hudson
03-26-2010, 12:35 PM
The HOC Virginia Chapter 2010 rally is now open to all HOC members from all chapters and states.

We have 8 rigs signed up so far and two more rigs are in the process of signing up so we're halfway there!

Hudson
04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
The rally is now open to all owners of Heartland products. I just updated the announcement at the top of this thread.

If you aren't a member of the Heartland Owners Club (HOC), then leave the HOC# blank. (The form says HOC# is required because it was required for early registration. Now it is only required *if you are a member*. If you aren't a member, it isn't required.)

Hudson
05-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm going to amend the announcement to post the names of people who are signed up for the rally already. If you do not want your name posted, email me or PM me and I'll leave your name off (or use your forum name if that's okay instead).

Recovered from 25-May-2010
06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I officially sent my form to Hudson. John and I will be attending the Virginia Rally. I can't wait. By the way, can I please sit next to Eric during the Rally-holics meeting?

06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I already forwarded this message to Hudson, But for everyone else, we sold our 21FBS and now have a North Trail 27RBS being built by Heartland.. Hopefully we will have it in plenty of time for the Rally in August.. We decided to get a larger unit, while we can still enjoy it and pay for it..
See you all at the Rally..
John & Nancy Latham

06-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey John - time to change your signature!

06-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Hey John - time to change your signature!

Done......... : o ))
Will change picture when we get new Trailer..
John

06-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Sorry if I haven't been responsive this week (or next week).

I am right at this moment in Elkhart, IN
... after having A.J. give us a tour of the factory yesterday
... and after spending the last two days in Goshen, IN
... at Lippert Components and at the TrailAir Service Center
... getting a TrailAir TriGlide Air Ride pin box
... and Lippert's wet bolts
... and TrailAir's Center Point suspension
... and TrailAir's Level Up (III) system
... installed on my brand new

2011 Cyclone 3950 HD Edition Toy Hauler

The trailer is fantastic! The people at Heartland are great and it is amazing to watch the toy haulers roll off the line at a rate of about ten toy haulers each day.

The team at the TrailAir Service Center is absolutely stellar ... the highest form of craftsmen at getting the job done right.

06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Congratulations Hudson. We are looking forward to seeing you and your new Cyclone soon.

06-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Congrats Hudson... hey got room for my two motorcycles?? I would of brought a toy hauler IF I had the truck..
Congrats again though..
John & Nancy Latham

06-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Very nice Hudson. Can't wait to see it! Congrats!

06-20-2010, 04:36 AM
Congrats Hudson and Tracy. Sounds real nice.

06-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Wow Hudson - that's awesome. Sorry I missed your call and I'll see you guys in Nashville.

Jim

beasleyrl
06-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Congratulations Hudson! Welcome to the Cyclone family!!! Now, are you getting a golf cart to carry with you???

boatto5er
06-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Hey Roger - got to get that picture changed now!

beasleyrl
06-24-2010, 08:22 PM

I know! Just got the hitch in today and new insurance policy. Hopefully I can take some this weekend...

For all you VA residents out there with F450's... When I went to get insurance on the new tow vehicle, Progressive Direct wouldn't add it to my auto policy. They said I had to go to a commercial policy due to size of truck. $$$$$. Called my RV ins agent (Poliseek) which sells my Progressive RV Ins, they added it without a problem. Same (or better) coverage than my Silverado 3500 for about HALF the price. $450 per YEAR (not 6 months)! Only restriction is the use must be designated recreation. At about 10MPG, I can guarantee them it won't be a DC commuter vehicle! Oh, and the kicker -- the actual policy is Progressive!

06-24-2010, 09:19 PM
... installed on my brand new

2011 Cyclone 3950 HD Edition Toy Hauler

Hey Hudson - congrats on stepping up!

Did you get any pictures of the level up being installed?

beasleyrl
06-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Okay Guss - just for you. It's changed!

I have to admit - even though it is a FORD, it definitely fits the Cyclone better. The brakes actually work without me putting my foot through the floor! And, my transmission didn't get anywhere near close to the redline point going over the mountains. Now, fuel on the other hand... Let's just say 6 MPG! I've gotta get that extra tank installed.

R

07-05-2010, 08:34 AM
hi Hudson,
we will be joining ya'll at the rally - please reserve a 30 amp pull-thru for us.
I will check the earlier email to find the address and send you the deposit.
looking forward to seeing everyone there.

07-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Okay folks, we have 15 rigs signed up so far for this rally. Next week I'm going to head on over to the KOA and sit down with them with the rig sizes and preferences. Once we've assigned everyone to a site, I'll know what kind of sites we have left. Also, if the campground still has the flexibility I'll try to make sure that everyone gets their first choice but so far that is looking very good with the sites we already set aside for the rally. After that I'll make up an informal agenda. Remember this is going to be a pretty laid back rally compared to some others, but there will be some semblance of order so we all know what night to plan for pot luck, what restaurants we might want to truckpool over to, what daytime events are near by, etc.

I do have some excellent news for avid book readers: the Green Valley Book Fair will be open that weekend! If you know what this is, you'll be happy to know that you're camping about 15 minutes away from it. If you don't know what it is, well, it's the size of a convention center with over 500,000 new books at 60-90% off. They're only open six times a year so it was pretty lucky for some of us that they are open during this rally. An optional side-trip to this place will appear on the agenda or my wife won't be happy with me.

Hudson
07-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately, Paul & Elaine Nelson won't be able to join us at the rally because they are moving that weekend. Soon they will become members of the NC chapter. Congrats to Paul & Elaine on your new house.

BTW, that means we are up to 6 sites still available for the rally. If you've been sitting on the fence, go ahead and sign up now.

OT: That reminds me of a joke. Two turtles were sitting on a fence. One turtle turns to the other and says "Hey wait a minute, turtles don't sit on fences." The other turtle replies back "Well, turtles don't talk either." :rolleyes:

Hudson
08-04-2010, 04:07 PM
I went to the KOA today to get the 15 rigs already signed up assigned to sites. I sent everyone email (regular email ... i.e., not through this site) with site numbers and final balances, along with arrival and departure dates. If you did not get an email, contact me right away, please.

BTW, we have our first ever Heartland "Greystone" rig coming (in case you were wondering about "GS" in the roster) ... in fact I think it is traveling the farthest ... all the way from New York.

At this point we only have five sites left: two 30A back-ins and three 50A pull-thrus. One of the 30A backins is smallish but all four of the others are massive sites. But now the campground is all sold out for that weekend and they would like to have back any sites we haven't booked. If you've been thinking about it, do it! This will be the most relaxing weekend you will have for the rest of the year I assure you.

I will be coming out with a rally agenda shortly and will post it here plus email it to people already signed up.

f250dieseldad
08-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Hudson, I just paid for our site. Ready to go. Can't wait to see all of our friends again!!!!

mjatwalker
08-06-2010, 07:02 AM
We are also paid up and will be on site number 32. Looking forward to another great rally.

boatto5er
08-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Gus and Debra are paid. We're coming in on Thursday, 26 Aug.

beasleyrl
08-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Roger, Kelly, Megan, and Jared are paid. Planning on coming in on Friday but may have to look at Thursday too!

fordtech 2008
08-10-2010, 09:56 AM
we are all paid, we will be there friday afternoon

Jim & Harriet
08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Paid up as of today ... if anyone has a KOA Rewards Card - the person who took our
payment information (Brittany) said we would receive "credit" for this weekend. If you
do have the card you might want to check that with them.
See you is a couple of weeks...

Louise Burton
08-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Mark and Lucia are all paid up too! Site number 26. Arriving on Friday, and staying til Monday.

boatto5er
08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Roger, Kelly, Megan, and Jared are paid. Planning on coming in on Friday but may have to look at Thursday too!

Make it so... we'll need some company Thursday evening (especially if I can't get a satellite signal! - thank God I've got a 100' cable)

jgoddardg
08-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Hudson and Gus, we're going to have to bow out at the last minute. Dad is now in hospice and having a rough time, so we simply can't make any plans for near future. See all of you later.

porthole
08-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Paid up as of today ... if anyone has a KOA Rewards Card - the person who took our
payment information (Brittany) said we would receive "credit" for this weekend. If you
do have the card you might want to check that with them.
See you is a couple of weeks...

KOA'rs should know that even when the camp staff says you do not get credit (Nashville) that is not true.

If you don't get it, email KOA (website) and they will add it on. The correct answer is that you get a reduced amount of points based on the reduced fee you paid.

dieselsweetheart
08-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Well I hope we didn't commit a mortal sin by not going through Hudson but truly I just called the KOA to see if there were any sites left...the lady said she was preoccupied and hadn't released our sites yet so the dieselengineer and I are booked on site 16. Ok, who are we next to?? haha We are arriving next Thurs and staying till Sun. Hope this is ok. Wasn't originally going to go....but since I'm still recovering I need all the fun weekends I can get!

fordtech 2008
08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
hey neighbor we are on site 14 right next to ya. we will be there friday afternoon and leave sunday.

Hudson
08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Okay campers, it's only one week now before some of us will be arriving. Even though I promised I would make this a "laid-back" rally, I'm still going to publish an agenda and a map (of who is at which site). Gus is looking over the agenda now to make sure it passes muster. I hope to publish it later today. I think now that the sites are pretty much locked down and everyone has paid, I shall publish the map today also.

dieselsweetheart
08-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Hudson, are you going to have a pot-luck sign-up sheet? I'd like to plan what I am going to bring...

dieselsweetheart
08-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi Ken, Marj and Sara! We'll be happy to meet new folks at the rally! We are coming in on Thursday so we'll leave the light on for ya!! See you then!

happycampernc
08-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Counting down the days to Friday. I'm planning on leaving work around 12 or so. Got to pick Sara up @ school then Ken said that he would be ready so that we can get on the road. Hoping to be there before 5.

dieselsweetheart
08-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I always look forward to a Heartland rally. Deb B is designing T-shirts for those of us who can't stay away from rallies. HA See you Friday and safe travels!!

boatto5er
08-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Looks like a great weekend ahead. Now, if only I can get there! Here I sit, truck in South Carolina, hitch in my garage, truck (and wife) returning from SC LATE Wed evening, have to work til at least 2:00pm on Thurs, supposed to pull in to CG on Thursday. I'm not sure there's enough time left in the week to get it all together! You may need spotlights and flashbulbs to watch me back-into my site in the dark! Only saving grace is that it's just 110 miles to the CG from our house.

dieselsweetheart
08-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Gus don't forget the dieselengineer has that kazillion megawatt light to guide late arrivals into their spots... last time we used it in PA when porthole showed up to camp at 11p. Worked beautifully...no need to worry!!! Do we have an agenda yet? See you Thursday...we're leaving here around 9:30 which should put us in around 1p or so...just in time for lunch!

porthole
08-23-2010, 01:20 PM
... last time we used it in PA when porthole showed up to camp at 11p.

Yeah 'um; lets not exaggerate here it was more like 10:20pm :D

iforget
08-23-2010, 04:29 PM
That's Right Duane. And we were early.
Porthole likes to arrive late and wake you all up..

dbylinski
08-23-2010, 04:34 PM
That's why nobody recognized it was you at the Jersey Rally. A daylight Cyclone arrival. Could it be, maybe. no never. Duane never arrives in the daylight hours. You broke a trend that day!

iforget
08-23-2010, 05:14 PM
That's why nobody recognized it was you at the Jersey Rally. A daylight Cyclone arrival. Could it be, maybe. no never. Duane never arrives in the daylight hours. You broke a trend that day!

Well it was

"OUR STATE RALLY"

after all! We thought it was manditory to show up while the sun was up..

iforget
08-23-2010, 05:16 PM
I wish we could join all of our dear friends at the Virginia Rally.
I KNOW you will have a wonderful time and be quick uploading all the pictures please..

dieselsweetheart
08-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Duane....my mistake. Everyone had already GONE TO BED... therefore, I thought it was much later when you arrived. LOL Hey buddy, dark is dark.

dieselsweetheart
08-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Jim and Harriet you need to clear out your mailbox....I tried to send you a message and your mailbox is full....delete delete delete!! We are arriving on Thursday so we will see you on Friday when you get in!!! We're on site 16.

porthole
08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
dark is dark.

ANd dark it was, great week to star gaze

boatto5er
08-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Taking off early Thursday, so it looks like we'll make it before dark. Woo-Hoo!

dieselsweetheart
08-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Great Gus!!! See you tomorrow!!

f250dieseldad
08-25-2010, 05:02 PM
We should be leaving about 1:30 tomorrow. I think it is about a six hour drive.

dieselsweetheart
08-25-2010, 05:15 PM
ok, see you and Deb when you get in!!

boatto5er
08-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Weather looks fantastic: Sunny, Hi's in the low 80's, Low's in the upper 50's. Camping weather at its finest!

Hudson
08-25-2010, 06:02 PM
I posted the agenda but forgot to put up a message to let people know it's attached to the bottom of the first message in this thread.

The directions to the KOA are extremely easy for anyone coming from the south (those traveling north on I-81). You just get off at I-81 exit 257 ("Mauzy/Broadway" I think). At the bottom of the ramp, turn right onto US-11 north. Take your first right (across from the Liberty truck stop) onto Rt 608 Mauzy-Athlone Road.

If you are coming from the north (traveling south on I-81), then it is just a little bit trickier. Take I-81 exit 257 Mauzy/Broadway. At the top of the ramp, turn left, then immediately turn left again at the traffic light onto US-11 north. Cross over the interstate and when the Liberty truck stop is on your left, turn right onto 608/Mauzy-Athlone Road.

There is a KOA sign pointing you down Mauzy-Athlone Road. Follow that a few miles to where it enters the KOA. Mauzy-Athlone road is a good hard-surface/paved road, but it has some narrow spots and some sharpish turns. I took my 36' 5er on that road (twice of course) and had no problems. Just pay attention and keep a reasonable speed.

I'm arriving on Thursday and staying through Monday so I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Oh, about the pot luck (since some have asked)... Last time I did a rally I went to a great deal of trouble to make sure everything was perfect. This is the exact opposite. Heartland Owner's Club will be providing hamburgers, hot dogs, soda pop, and water (thank you to Gus for taking care of that actually). There won't be a signup sheet or anything like that. You bring what you want to bring, be that a side dish, a salad, a dessert, potato chips (because I forgot to ask Gus for chips because I just thought of them), or even a main dish (not everyone loves burgers & dogs).

dieselsweetheart
08-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the directions Hudson. I'm bringing dessert for the potluck... can't get enough of dessert! See you soon!

camperjohn08
08-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Nancy & I arrived today.. 25 Aug. We are set up and waiting for the rest of the crowd to arrive... We are @ site 42 and have the new 27RBS nestled in for the maiden voyage..
Had fun climbing that mountain on HWY64 sure wish we had a diesel truck at this venture...
By the waY, WE DIDN'T BRING FIRE WOOD CAUSE OF BURNING RESTRICTIONS OF FIREWOOD FROM CHESAPEAKE

sEE EVERYONE TOMORROW... WE SHALL PUT OUT A LITE FOR YOU ALL..
jOHN & nANCY

dieselsweetheart
08-25-2010, 08:10 PM
How's the weather down there John and Nancy? Is it cool this evening??

camperjohn08
08-25-2010, 10:10 PM
The evening is nice and cool tonight.... there are alot of nats flying around during the day though... most annoying..If anyone arrives here in the evening watch out for the trees, some of the turns to get to the sites are tight and you can get really close. I was two inches from one tree.. not good. The people here were a great help though.. and guided me thru it all..There are three digital TV channels and four analog, so if ya got a good antenna your good. the internet is satelite and it's slow and goes in and out... Their Wi-fi..
Other than that we are happy so far. See ya when you get here..
John & Nancy:cool:

fordtech 2008
08-26-2010, 08:26 AM
we are planning on leaving tomorrow by 12:30. we are letting sara go to school for a half day. we are going to try and be there by the time everybody goes to dinner if not hudson sent me the directions. see everybody tomorrow, ken,marj, sara.

f250dieseldad
08-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Bighorn is hooked up and loaded ready to go. Just waiting for Queenie to get home.

Freckles
08-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Wish we could have joined the group, looks like a great turnout with many friends we know !!! We would have like to come and made it another 5 chapter leader event !! Guess will have to wait for October to see you all !! We our taking the Nephew to Lake Ontario for a fishing trip . His 12 and fishing is about all the kid talk's about !! Have fun and all the best from Beth and Greg .

bill40
08-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Bighorn is hooked up and loaded ready to go. Just waiting for Queenie to get home.

Have a safe trip and a good time.

f250dieseldad
08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Took about six hours. We are here safe and sound.

dbylinski
08-27-2010, 09:36 PM
What a nice day! We had an all day campfire complete with roasted hot dogs for lunch. Some went out for a Mexican dinner while others remained around the fire for a pot luck dinner. Great food again! After dinner the fire continued and thanks to Don for setting up the big screen so we could sit around the fire watching a Mel Gibson movie. Now this is what livin' is all about! Thanks to everyone for a great day.

hillsonwheels
08-27-2010, 10:00 PM
You folks are making me jealous over here!!!!!!!!!! :(

Glad the weather has "collaborated" for a good time so far. Hope it holds for the weekend. :cool:

dbylinski
08-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Hey! Where'd everybody go?

dieselsweetheart
08-28-2010, 08:28 AM
We're resting up for Day 2 of the Va rally! Another great day for weather...cool in the evenings and sunshine during the days! Having a great time and yes, those of you who couldn't make it...you're missed!!!

katkens-DW
08-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Oh Man I sure wish I was there Tried of just sitting around here. Have tons of fun everybody!!!!

boatto5er
08-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Been a great weekend. Hate to see it come to a close. Most folks are leaving tomorrow - a couple staying until Monday. Safe travelling everyone and thanks for helping make this so much fun.

dbylinski
08-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Want to thank everyone for a great time. All y'all are the bestest and we love ya! See ya soon if we ever get through Washington. Hey Gus, got a good idea of what weekday afternoons are as we are parked in the HOV on 66. Lot's of lane closure for nothin'. That's normal!

boatto5er
08-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Deb and I got home at 1:45, all in one piece. John and Deb - sorry about I-66. Welcome to metro DC.:(

It was a great weekend thanks to all our Heartland friends. We love you all!:)

mjatwalker
08-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Got home safe and sound a few minutes ago. What a great rally--laid back, relaxing, good (make that great) food, and best of all the friendships. We sure hated leaving. Thanks Hudson and Tracey, Gus and Debra and everyone else! Can't wait to see everyone again soon in Mt. Airy so we can do'er again.

dbylinski
08-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Still trying to get home. We're in Jersey so it will be soon I hope!

dieselsweetheart
08-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Hudson and Tracey, Gus and Debra...thanks for putting this rally together! We got home around 3p without incident! We had a great time and to think we would have missed it had we been our on Alaska cruise...haha great time with the best folks! Love ya!!! Those staying till tomorrow...have a great evening together!!!

dbylinski
08-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Yahooie!!! We're home but it took almost 3 hours more on the return trip. Way too much traffic for my sanity! Thanks again to Gus, Debra, Hudson and Tracy. We had a great time!

fordtech 2008
08-29-2010, 05:29 PM
we got home around 4. thanks everybody for a great time. hope to see everybody in the spring.

happycampernc
08-30-2010, 04:06 AM
Had a great weekend with all of you. The only bad thing was having to come home. It was great seeing everyone again. When's the spring one???

Lazydaze
08-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Great trip back home. All unpacked. Eric, Tater and I had a wonderful time with our Heartland friends.

nomare
08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
We got home about 4pm. No traffic, we sailed right through. That's the good thing about leaving on a Monday besides the extra day. We had a great time and many thanks to Hudson, Tracey, Gus and Debra. Can't wait to do it again. Hope to see everyone in NC and PA.

Mary Ann, John, Daisy & Edna

Flying Dutchman
08-30-2010, 09:39 PM
It was quiet this Monday morning, just a few of us left and delaying our departure as much as possible. Being a rally-aholic, the end of the rally and the departure is a real downer.
What a great time we had though. Thanks Hudson and Tracey, Gus and Debra, for a wonderful, relaxing event. Please get the dates out for next years spring and fall Virginia rallies. The calendar is filling up fast. The addiction is spreading!

Hudson
08-31-2010, 09:44 AM
I think we were actually the very last to leave (just after 1:00pm on Monday) and we didn't get home until nearly 2:00pm. I guess that stop at the Liberty to fill up the tank really extended our travel time. Yeah, after driving all that way to Hatteras (three trips), it is nice to have a short drive periodically.

We had a really great time ... the weather could not possibly have been better for a weekend in the forest. Sorry to all those who couldn't get satellite (congratulations to the Grubaughs for actually succeeding at that) ... but remember I told everyone -- except Gus didn't tell his wife until they were pulling into the CG.

Thank you Gus and Debra for getting and grilling the burgers & dogs. It isn't camping without burgers & dogs. Thank you Don for bringing the projector. Thank you to the Bylinskis for giving up your privacy for two nights while everyone descended upon your site for fireside festivities. (We did the honors on Sunday night, in fact a nice couple from the bus that pulled into the site next to us also joined in.) Thank you to everyone for showing up, having a good time, being good friends, and let's not forget thank you for the tasty food!

Next time we have a "Rally in the Valley" I think we'll go to Endless Caverns. Their amenities were actually completed in time for this rally but we had to book based upon what was done at the time and the KOA won that. Everyone can get satellite there, the WiFi is stronger and faster, they allow golf carts, and their big screen is positively massive (like 15' high and 20' wide). And it's even closer to Jalisco's!

dbylinski
08-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Way to rub it in Hudson! You make me proud! No problem on sharing our site because it's "team work" baby! You may have had the shortest route home but we had the shortest walk from the fire all weekend!

Hurry on now and schedule that "Rally in the Valley" so we can make plans to travel through lovely Metro DC.

boatto5er
08-31-2010, 01:34 PM
We may let you in on the secret handshake. That also gets you a map of routes around DC!

dieselsweetheart
08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
We were be very interested in your next rally! Had a great time!

boatto5er
08-31-2010, 07:23 PM
We were be very interested in your next rally! Had a great time!

Can't promise the VA Chapter will be able to provide the personalized Cart service next time Cheryl, but we'll do our best!

dieselsweetheart
08-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Next time I won't be needing a cart Gus....pulllllllllleeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzeeeeee!!!!

Jim & Harriet
09-01-2010, 01:57 PM
looking forward to the next Valley-Rally.
we will be there!

dbylinski
09-01-2010, 02:19 PM
We may let you in on the secret handshake. That also gets you a map of routes around DC!

I have continuously hoped someone would show me a secret handshake. I seem to get lot's of hugs and kisses but the elusive handshake has not shown up yet. I almost qualify as a rally-holic and I think I have earned the right to know the secret!

If there is a way around DC that you are not telling me about........ You better fill me in brother! Remember PMS & GPS is a dangerous combination. You don't wanna mess with dat dare do ya?

happycampernc
09-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Hudson, I would love the recipe for the salad thingy that Tracy made. It had mushrooms, squash, zuchinni and peppers I believe. I really liked it and Im not a big vegetable eater.

rbloom
09-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Our first rally with a great bunch of Virginia RV'ers - we had a great time and look forward to our next! Thanks to all!!

boatto5er
09-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Better late than never...I finally got around to posting a few pictures. Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon.