Front Jack Electrical Problem

SilverRhino

Our BC has a three way switch mounted on the front of the unit, under the over hang that controls the front jacks. This switch is not covered and I have often thought that this mounting was not the safest. Any water spray coming from the truck, hits the trailer directly in that area.

In the back of my mind, it seems that I once read of a switch like this shorting out and lowering the landing gear! Well, in my case it did not lower the gear, just shorted out and blew the fuse.

Yesterday morning, we arrived at a destination and proceeded to disconnect the truck from the trailer. The landing gear would not work. I found the blown fuse and when I tried to replace it, the new fuse immediately blew. Long story short, after manually deploying the landing gear :mad:, I tracked the problem to the switch. Went to Radio Shack and found a 3 way toggle switch and made a temporary patch to get the gear to work.

I'm seriously considering installing a covered switch like the one on the BH or maybe move the switch inside a compartment to prevent this from ever occurring again.

Travel Safe!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Good idea Randy. I didn't know the other models had the switch exposed. I think I would mount it inside. Although, since there's already a hole there, I suppose you might be able to find something at a good dealer or on-line to house a switch.

RollingHome

Randy, I seen those door covers in the catalogs that most RV stores utilize. I would suggest going to your nearest RV store and ask for their catalog, it's about 3/4" thick, I'm sure you've seen these (it's not really theirs, just has their name on it). They sell the exact door or one very similar to the one on my BH. The one on my BH drops down (the hinge is on the bottom). When I'm hooking up I'm always catching my pants on it. If I was going to install one I would put the hinge on top, it may not catch my pants as easy.