Camping Safety

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am just seeing a story on CNN that at least 12 persons have been killed in a campground in Montgomery County, Arkansas due to severe flooding. This is the same storm system that flooded New Braunfels, Tx a couple of days ago.

We have seen on several occasions campgrounds and RV Parks that are under water as are the RVs that are there. The Nashville KOA is also another recent example. RVers like to be close to rivers, lakes and other bodies of water for obvious reasons.

As a word especially to the new campers and RVers is to use good judgement when staying near water when camping. Storm systems can and do dump large amounts of water in short periods of time. A weather radio is a must when RVing. That weather radio needs to be on and any watches and/or warnings need no must be heeded. Remember you and your families lives are at risk in these systems. This particular system moving over Texas and Arkansas is a slow moving system and has dumped large amounts of water. You folks in Tennessee need to be alert as it is coming your way.

Finally, have fun in your RVing adventures but be prepared to move to safety quickly if needed.

UPDATE: Now 16 are dead with 36 missing. Another tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the families of the dead and missing.

Last edited:

tmcran

Yep, on the KOA in Nashville. We were at Jellystone during the Nashville flood. We were blessed to remain high and dry -- well when we inside..just couldn't get out.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I understand the comments about listening to the weather. A few years ago we were on Capre breton, at about 10:30 pm some guy ( I thought idiot at the time) was going through the camp group sounding those alarms you can mount on a vehicle. I was under a leanto doing a dial up internet conection in abolutley pouring rain.

Turned out there was a huricane coming our way. I got the DW and woke up my sister and B inlaw, we went into the laundry while otheres hooked up to leave. My wife wanted to go so we could save the trailer. I said no, we will take pictures gather what we can and drive home if the truck is one one piece.

We got the all clear at 2am, we did not get the worst part, that went to Prince Edward Island. No damage to us but the people thta leaft got caught on the causway and lost everyhting.

We could have avoided all this had we been listening to the radio, that was Sept 11 in 2002 (I think), never forget it.