PDA

View Full Version : Good Sam Club

jbeletti
10-09-2006, 02:18 PM
To discuss the Good Sam Club, please Reply to this thread.

jbeletti
10-09-2006, 03:56 PM
I enjoy being a member of the Good Sam Club (for the CG discount mainly) but they spend a lot of money snail mailing me with their product marketing.

The above titled product is certainly a real product (40th Anniversary Member year book) but the email (image below) I received from the GSC, in my case, ended up being a marketing tool veiled as request for Year book information.

I called the number, gave them my ID number and answered a couple questions (verification of address, phone, email, pets, spouse, trailer brand, model, length etc.). It sure sounded like information that was good to "target" market products of Good Sam affiliation.

Then came the pitch to buy the year book (it's $100 by the way). I have not been associated with the GSC long enough to forge bonds with other members and go to their rallies etc. I think one day we may get to that point but $100 was a bit much for my interest. I was then offered a standard edition for $20 less.

Then I was offered to be connected to a GS VIP Insurance rep to get a quote. That's when I decided we were done with the call.

I present this as informational only, in the even that others get the same email. I do truly believe that 50% of the effort is to confirm/gather personal information for the year book. But I also believe that other 50% of the effort is to use that same updated information to target market you and if they can, sell you more products on the same phone call (VIP as my own example).

I do enjoy my Good Sams Club membership and camping discounts. Their marketing drives me nuts though. So much money spent on direct mail.

//heartlandowners.org/images/GSC-Email.JPG

jimtoo
10-09-2006, 05:27 PM
I've been a GS member for years for the same reason as you. But I was smarter than you, it went straight in the trash. I figured that if they could send me all the junkmail, both spam and sm, then they knew enough about me.

sailorand
10-09-2006, 08:44 PM
We have belonged to GSC for a number of years, also. Sadly, Good Sam Club is not a club. The only club part about it is your local Good Sam Chapter. We have belonged to a local chapter for about 8 years now and we go out on campouts and lunchs with them.
The Rally in July 2007 in Redmond Oregon, is a great sales event. It is lots of fun for a week, with great entertainment and fantastic seminars. There is also several hundred vendors and a 1000 RVs to look at. Even though it is a big sales event we are still going as it is lots of fun.
We also use GSC emergency roadside service as it seems to be a little better than AAA.
regards
Rand

jbeletti
10-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Rand,

Thanks for reminding me - I too use Good Sam's ERS and I do love that product. Hadn't had a need for it in two years of RVing and then in our 3rd year, we used it 3 times - all for flats. One day, when we've been at this for a good stretch of time, especially when we are at a point when we can semi-retire and RV more, we'll get more involved in the club aspect of GS.

So for now, we'll work, RV when we can, use the GS products that work for us and shovel out a ton of other GS offerings we get in the mail monthly - plus a few sales emails cloaked as other things.

Jim

jpmorgan37
10-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Some of the things that they offer such as: Good Sam Emergency Assistance Plus, Emergency Road Service, Perscription Drug Plan through Humana, Vehicle insurance (VIP) through GMAC, Homeowners Insurance through GMAC -- All of these through Good Sam. I'm a price comparison shopper and $ for $, I found these hard to beat or in most cases, unbeatable. And the rest of the "junk mail" from them, I round file. When you are travelling, use the Sam Log for information about a strange city or town and you meet some great folks--some with overnight hookups, though I've never used them. I agree, sometimes I get frustrated at the sales push, but there are a lot of positive benefits when we see all they have to offer.

elwaller39
10-10-2006, 07:37 AM
I have the Good Sams Emergency Assistance Plus, Emergency Service, I however asked the Good Sams people to not sell my name to other vendors or do I not want all the other mail from them and they have not sent any of the junk mail to me. You may want to try this. Evans & Lana

jcd8822
10-10-2006, 07:52 PM
We belong to Good Sam for the emergency service also, We requested a quote for GMAC insurance when we still lived in Houston and their insurance was a lot higher that what we were paying, even though we both had good driving records and no claims. We now find that GMAC does not offer "Full Time" insurance in Texas, so we are staying put for the time being on the insurance we have.

Tom of Ypsi
10-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Jim, Just got my card today and thanks to you it is now in the recyle bin, no need to answer and get more mail.
As far as insurance, I have Progressive and have been very pleased plus they are cheaper for me than any other insurance. When I broke down last May I needed a low boy flat bed tractor trailer to get my coach to the dealer for repairs. I called Progressive and then they called me back to make sure I was ok then called again to make sure my coach was properly taken to the dealer. That was the only time I have heard from them.

trdeal
10-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Got my card today also and it is also in the trash. We use GMAC ins. through GSC. It is cheaper on my dually than anyone else. Also have my Mt. Rushmore, our Montereo Sport, and our golf car with them.I checked on my homeowners but it was higher.Have not taken the emergency road service with them as of yet, but I am thinking strongly about it.

Jim_1899
10-14-2006, 10:18 PM
I was a member of Good Sams back in 1994 but did not renew my membership. They still send me a lot of mail trying to get me to rejoin. Being an independent insurance agent I sell RV and auto insurance through Foremost, American Modern, Travelers, Progressive, GMAC, Safeco, Hartford, and AIG. I get to review a lot of coverage and see the premiums. The Good Sams Club membership is inexpensive but it seems to me that there goal is to get you to join to sell you other products. Putting towing on my RV is just $8 a year since I have my RV on my auto policy.

L'l John
10-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Jim 1899,

Putting towing on my RV is just $8 a year since I have my RV on my auto policy.

Just exactly what does that mean?
I have my camper insured with my auto insurance company and liability is covered under my Tow Vehicle policy.
Thanks,
John

Jim_1899
10-15-2006, 01:24 PM
I have added the RV to my auto policy just like you would add a 2nd car. You are right that the liability is extended from the vehicle pulling the trailer, so on the camper the coverage is just comprehensive, collision, and towing. I also added one other endorsement that provides extra's like a diminishing deductible, coverage for personal property, etc.

L'l John
10-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Yabut,
All that for just $8 a year?

L'l John
10-15-2006, 01:56 PM
I think I finally got it!
$8 a year for towing insurance?

John

jpmorgan37
10-15-2006, 02:04 PM
If I read what Jim1899 is saying, the towing option is $8.00 a year. That's in addition to the collision and comprehensive, etc. Does that give the additional coverages that the Good Sam ERS gives? $99.00 a year isn't bad considering what you get and in the past seven years, I've never needed it but for the peace of mind, I've got it and hope that I never use it. It's sorta like life insurance. I've got it and hope I never need it, but the odds are, someday I will.

Jim_1899
10-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I will have to look at the Good Sams coverage to see all the benefits they provide, it has been a few years since I read what they sent me. Then I can compare it to my coverage.

sailorand
10-15-2006, 05:24 PM
JP
you can get your Good Sam ERS renewed for $89 if you contact your local GS director. They will give you a form that you just fill out and mail off. Or go to your local Samborree and see the director there
The other way is to come on over to Quartzsite for the RV ralley there Jan 20-28th I think and go to the Good Sam tent
Rand

randes
10-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Some of the things that they offer such as: Good Sam Emergency Assistance Plus, Emergency Road Service, Perscription Drug Plan through Humana, Vehicle insurance (VIP) through GMAC, Homeowners Insurance through GMAC -- All of these through Good Sam. I'm a price comparison shopper and $ for $, I found these hard to beat or in most cases, unbeatable. And the rest of the "junk mail" from them, I round file. When you are travelling, use the Sam Log for information about a strange city or town and you meet some great folks--some with overnight hookups, though I've never used them. I agree, sometimes I get frustrated at the sales push, but there are a lot of positive benefits when we see all they have to offer.
I read your comments about the Drug Perscription Plan (by Humana) offered through the Good Sam Club. I went to the GS web site but could not find any information about it. Do you know if they are still offering the plan or not? I am currently researching Medicare Supplemental Ins and Drug plans and Humana seems to offer the most for the money. However, a discount through GSC would be even better. Thanks for the help!

jpmorgan37
10-15-2006, 10:41 PM
:confused: Roy;
I just pulled up the GS insurance web site and don't see it listed. I can only guess that they don't offer it as a separate prescription drug plan anymore. I went with AARP for my Medigap supplimental but am waiting to find out more about the Universal Health Insurance that Bob mentioned in his post several days ago. Good coverage that is less expensive, now I can buy that.
John

vangoes
11-07-2006, 05:25 PM
I was a member of GS years ago and did not continue membership due to all the spam and junk mail. I currently have towing and roadside assistance on my automobiles and 5ver through State Farm for 8$ per year per policy. However, I am considering GS ERS. With my current insurance coverage there is no dispatch service with the ERS and if I break down in the middle of nowhere who am I going to call. Does the GS service live up to the hype or is there better services such as AAA or others? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

ct0218
11-07-2006, 05:43 PM
I had to use it once, and they couldn't find a tow truck available to tow both my TV and trailer, so the truck made 2 trips. It is important to find out if the towing service will be for both. I know GS ERS does. I throw everything I get other than invoices in the trash.

jbeletti
11-07-2006, 06:29 PM
vangoes,

I used GS ERS 3 times this year. I have never seen a service truck arrive in less than 1 hour. Mine have been in the 90 minute range - one was 2 hours.

Some locations have more shops in their system then others. As an example, near Marengo, IL, NW of Chicago, they sent a service truck from near O'Hare airport. Had to be many services in the small towns around my location but they just didn't have any on their system.

Still, I have been pleased with the work their contractors do and have been thankful that I was able to get serviced all 3 times. As Clark mentions above, GS ERS does cover both the trailer and tow vehicle and other vehicles registered at the same household address. In my case, my wife's car and my step-daughters car. Lisa (step-daughter) has used the service once.

I think we step up to full-rate of $100 next year but I'm sure we'll renew. Three times while RV'ing in one year tells me I'll want to keep it.

Jim

jpmorgan37
11-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Now they have ERS Plus. I just got the brochure on that (and threw it away). I'll stick with the regular ERS that I've had for a long time and never used.

John

Tom of Ypsi
11-07-2006, 08:35 PM
As previously posted by me do take a look at Progressive Insurance. When I broke down they sent out a wrecker instead of a flat bed truck to carry my coach. When the driver of the wrecker looked at the situation he order a lowboy flatbed tractor trailer to take care of me, one half hour later the truck pulled up, helped me disconnect from my truck and asked where I wanted the coach taken to. One hour later the coach was at the dealers, I signed the paper work that it arrived safe and sound. I never heard from Progressive again. Besides being completely satisfied I am not diluged with mail, post cards etc to upgrade, change or do this or that.

Trap
11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
WE use coachnet only needed them once when DW locked keys in car. Took 1/2 hour to get there. The only time we hear from them is when it time to renew. They do all vehicles and trialer. No Junk mail

Trap

sailorand
11-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Jim
about the cost to renew you ERS. contact your Good Sam state director and they should give you a small form that you fill out and send in and save $10, or go to a rally and they offer the same discount.
Say come on out to Quartsite Az. for the RV rally in the 3rd week of January or to the Rally in Redmond Or. in July.
Long way to come but lots of fun
Rand

jbeletti
03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi all,

Guess we just had an unlucky year on road side service needs last season. Seems that we used our Good Sam ERS a total of 5 times in a single membership year.

Five times hit the threshold for being put on the "DO NOT RENEW" list.

We used it 3 times for flats on the RV and my step-daughter used it once for a flat and once for a lock-out.

Lisa has since moved into her own place and we no longer cover her car insurance. I called Good Sam ERS to appeal to them and remove Lisa's car from our ERS plan. Doing this and asking politely - they took me off the DO NOT RENEW list :D

In fairness, 5 uses for $100 is dirt cheap. especially when I paid what, $80 for year 1! I'm glad they reconsidered me as I didn't really want to use another provider. While they never got to us in under an hour, their contractors always eventually arrived and all performed very well.

Now we need to be good through June 5 of this year and have no uses, then we roll into the next membership year.

A couple lessons learned here that may be useful for others:
Good Sam ERS is real and not overly expensive
For me, their contractors have performed well
Overuse will get you into a non-renewable status :mad:
They are human and can be reasoned with :)
If you can change a tire and do so safely (in a campground for example) and you are nearing 5 calls in the current membership year or are early in that year, consider changing it yourself :eek:Is it Spring yet!

Jim

Midastouch
03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Jim ... as I sit here laughing after reading your post, I thought I would just say that the one time I have used the ERS was when we went to pick up the Landmark last September. My 05 6.0 Superduty died going up an incline in what they call "the gorge" and I had to use it! I thank the Good Lord for my cell phone working good enough to make the call to Good Sam ERS! The got a "good ole boy" from Cleveland, TN in a flatbed F650 to respond and he hauled us back down "the gorge" and took us into Knoxville where we met Butch and Karen at RV's for Less. Needless to say, I left the 05 Ford in Knoxville and drove home a new truck and trailer! What a trip! I got my money's worth and the convenience of having someone to call was great during our TIME OF CRISIS!!!!:(

I'll renew for as long as they will let me!!!!!!!!;)

phranc
03-07-2007, 08:33 PM
A friend and I were traveling together and he popped a tranny on top of Hog Back Mtn in Vt..He has AAA and they took in excess of 4 hours to arrive .AAA arrived with 2 trucks, 1 PU with a 5th wheel to take camper and 1 tow truck for the pickup..Once arrived they did whatever was necessary to make my friend happy .. Camper went to CG and was parked by AAA, and truck went to Ford dealer in a different town for repair. Considering the remoteness of the location my friend was satisfied..

jpmorgan37
03-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Jim;
What they paid out on you, they have made up for on me. I've had ERS since 1999 and never used it once. But, I'll never be without it. And another one that I won't be without is the EA+. I hope we never need it but is sure is cheap insurance.
John

fireflipper
03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
I have had AAA for about twenty years now. During the times that my son was at home hd to have his truck towed on 6 occations, three for accidents. AAA never even gave us a hint that we would be dropped and always renewed us. We upgraded the service when we got the RV, have not had to call them for service yet, Knock on Wood, but I know the day will come.

DougLynne
03-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Just used them for the first time today and can't say enough good about them. I had truck problems and didn't want the dealer I had to initially have it towed to to work on the truck (warranty issue). I called Good Sam and explained That I wanted my truck towed to another dealer out of town and they initally said they only would go 10 miles then I paid. They got back to me and covered the whole thing. Can't beat that service..../Doug

iefpro01
05-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I have the AAA premium with RV coverage. I have myself and my wife on this plan. I have not had to use it for RV calls - but I have had my TV pulled twice to the dealer, one tire changed on my TV and my DW used it for locked keys in car issues (LOL -Don't say it)... All this in one year - no issues renewing.

No I owned a Class A big bus a few years back. I had the GS ERS plan. I fueled up on a trip and about a 2 miles from where I fuled I broke down. Called ERS - they said we will have to get back with you. after about 45 minutes they called back and said the cloest was 80 miles away and it was going to take several hours to get to me. I finally figured it out on my own and fixed the issue - but I was not happy with ERS.. They may be better now - but they did not have a large enough contract network at that time.

I was not way out in the boondocks... But one thing is for sure never leave home without one of these plans! BTW I am a good sam charter life member...

cdbMidland
08-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Jim;
...And another one that I won't be without is the EA+. I hope we never need it but is sure is cheap insurance...
John

I received a mailing on the GSC's EA+ this week - $79 for me or $99 for the family (which would just be the two of us) per year.

Has anyone had any experience with this plan? It says that it will:
1. Take care of medical evacuation;
2. Provide medical assistance (I assume to make sure that you have a valid claim);
3. Assistance for companions (send the kids and grandkids home); and
4. Provide travel assistance of all sorts regardless of where and how you got there (not just RVing) - even getting your remains home should you die on a trip.

As John said, he hopes he never needs it. Has anyone had experiences with EA+ and how would you rate it?:confused:

Chuck

Larryheadhunter
03-06-2008, 05:26 AM
I joined GS for 2 bucks at camping world and was sent a map of GS campgrounds, and a $25 camping gift certificate. In the event we get stuck on the road its nice to get the GS 10% discount for their CG's. We got RV towing and emergency added to our AAA for $46 extra a year. Didn't see the need to get GS's ERS. Tell me if I made the wrong decision.

jpmorgan37
03-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Larry;

You made a good decision. I've been a member for a long time and just renewed for 3 more years. I do have the Good Sam ERS, EA+, and insurance through Good Sam which is underwritten by GMAC.

John

Ray LeTourneau
03-06-2008, 06:15 PM
We just re-signed with EA+. We let it lapse a while ago but decided it may be worthwhile someday. Ya never know. We are also Good Sam Life members but have Emergency Road coverage thru Progressive.

theharveys
03-06-2008, 06:24 PM
We have been Good Sam members for several years. We have the ERS and we also have both our truck and trailer insurance through Good Sam (saved us a bunch of money). We have been on three Good Sam tours, Viva Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, and the Alburquerque Balloon Fiesta. We thoroughly enjoyed each tour and found our tourmates to all be very friendly. They do send a lot "junk" mail...but then again, that is why I finally decided to get an insurance quote from Good Sam and I am glad I did!

jpmorgan37
03-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Jeff and Cindy;

You can get the junk mail stopped. They don't even send me renewal notices. Call up their customer service desk and talk to them. The only thing that I get is the Highways Magazine.

John

fivernine
03-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Jeff & Cindy, that's the best news I've heard in a while! We have ERS and the two incidents we've had over five years have convinced me it's a good service, prompt and worthwhile. But the endless paper--and written as if we were ten-year-olds! Who writes that stuff and has the audacity to talk down to me like I'm a child? I renew membership and three months later in comes a warning that membership is about to expire! I've got it plugged into my PDA; I don't need paper. I'm calling them tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

Larryheadhunter
03-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks all for the advice. One quick question? In everyone's humble opinion, is itbetter to upgrade to RV emergency roadside coverage and towing with AAA, or drop that part and pay the $89 to Good Sam for the same coverage. I would be curious as they seem to provide the same coverages. Wonder which one shows up first when you have problems like a blowout or a overheated truck engine?

Princess Kathleen
03-07-2008, 03:48 PM
I vote for Good Sam....It has stuck by the Luv Shak in Louisiana, North Carolina, New Brunswick, Quebec, and the other places we have had broken down...to many to recall, but GS has been there.....

PK

jbeletti
03-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Good Sam ERS bounced me last year. Since it covers all vehicles in your household, we gave my step-daughter the number too.

Well, a tow hear, a jump there, a lock-out over there plus 2 calls for the RV in a year and we "got the letter". We would not be renewed. Good news was we mis-paid and were 2 years paid up at that point.

I worked with GS on the phone and agreed that if we went claim free until some date, that they would not drop us and would remove us from the non-renewable status.

So we're staying with them. But there is a limit if you want to be able to renew with them.

tweber
03-07-2008, 09:33 PM
AAA has a 4 service call limit during a membership year. I was told that Good Sam may have a 6 call limit, but I have not been able to confirm that number. Does anyone know?