Gray Tank Valve Failure

Vtxkid

We were at Hertford, NC last week when I decided to drain the gray water tanks Saturday night. afterwards, I closed the valves thinking nothing else about it. Packed up Sunday afternoon and went to the dump station, pulled the main cap off the main sewage connection point and got about 4 gallons on my shoes. Fortunitly, it was a grey water issue and not black. After I hooked up the drain hose assy, I pulled the rear (kitchen) gray water valve and got nothing which I knew then that was my problem area. Drained the other two tanks fine. Parked the Cyclone at home, waited till yesterday to look into the problem. I had to remove the rear section of the false bottom (above the axles) and found the rear gray tank valve had one fastener w/ self locking nut missing and the other fasterner assy was loose at the point where the cable slids in and is pinched/ locked into place. The outer cable was sliding back and forth rendering the valve non-operational. I removed the fastener assy which was still installed to find a identical set. Slid the cable in place and installed both fasteners with self locking nuts and snugged them down. Was dissapointed to find this problem, it appeared they were never tighten up from the factory. But all works great now. Now, its time to wash the shoes... :cool:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Glad to hear you were able to get the problem taken care of. Guess that is just part of owning an RV. Happy Rving.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The extra valve is a very good idea. I would however install it with sprinkler pipe "blue" glue. Don't ask why. Why you ask? They can vibrate off. Then the trailer wheels flatten them....thats WHY!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The extra valve is a very good idea. I would however install it with sprinkler pipe "blue" glue. Don't ask why. Why you ask? They can vibrate off. Then the trailer wheels flatten them....thats WHY!!

Got a name/source for that glue, Bob?

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I just fixed a gray tank pull handle, too. The crimp at the end of the handle came loose and the cable assembly pulled out. I just had to open the bottom, take the nut off the handle to get handle off of trailer, push the cable assembly back in the crimp and crimp it tight again. It works, until the next time. I too added the 3rd gate valve. Put it on and then put Gorilla Duct tape around the connection. It is holding - for now. I saw on of the f3rd valves held on with two small set screws. That works, too, but the tape was easier.

Larry W

I have had three failures of the crimp at the end of the handle. I wish that these crimps were more steady.

gpshemi

Wow really? I've never had one come off! In fact, mine's rather tight to put on. Guess I'll have to look into that. I would think regualar PVC cement would work. On one of my trailers I couldn't find the twist on, so I cut the end and glued a regular manual valve in using regular ol PVC cement from Home Depot.

Manke3010

Also, Porthole suggested using "gorilla tape" (think that's what it's called) on the third valve at the end cap. That's what I used.
It's a silicone based elastic tape that you wrap around the third valve to keep it from vibrating off. If you sell the trailer, you can cut the tape and take the valve with you. Bought it on amazon for around $8 I believe...