PDA

View Full Version : My new purchase

Ray LeTourneau
10-10-2010, 09:33 PM
I picked up my new handgun today from Gander. It's a Springfield XD 9 Tactical. I realize there are disadvantages to a weapon this size (5" barrel) but I felt the pros outweighed the cons. I've only owned one handgun prior to this but sold it several years ago. I intend on taking classes as necessary and practice as soon as we hit the RGV.

jbeletti
10-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Nice Ray.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/pix/XD9__6_straight_640.jpg

Ray LeTourneau
10-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Yup! that's the new baby. Here's a LINK (http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/XD-9_Tactical.htm) to a review. I think I done good.http://mail.yimg.com/a/i/mesg/tsmileys2/33.gif

JohnDar
10-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Put some wheels on that cannon and use it as a crew-served weapon.:eek:

SJH
10-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Congratulations on the purchase! The XD's are fine weapons!

jimtoo
10-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Hmnnn,,, Looks a lot mine...except mine is 4". Sweet shootin. Targets,,,mnn,,, I'm OK.... but don't be a tin can in front of me... I will bounce you all over the place....

cookie
10-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Ray, when you go practice in the RGV stop by and pick me up. I got tin cans. Gonna have to do some reloading though.
Nice XD.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz
10-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I picked up my new handgun today from Gander. It's a Springfield XD 9 Tactical. I realize there are disadvantages to a weapon this size (5" barrel) but I felt the pros outweighed the cons. I've only owned one handgun prior to this but sold it several years ago. I intend on taking classes as necessary and practice as soon as we hit the RGV.

Be sure when your practicing you are pointed toward Mexico ROFLMAO

hart1369
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
congrats on your new toy . its one of the load on sunday and shoot all week long

Pulltab
10-21-2010, 04:36 AM
Excellent choice Ray, the XD is a fine weapon and will serve you well. I have the subcompact model and enjoy shooting it. :)

Dave
11-19-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm not very familiar with hand guns but have considered one for personnal safety. My concern is, hopefully I would never have to use the weapon inside the RV but I think I would like a handgun with enough power to stop the intruder but not have the bullet exist the RV and enter the RV next to me. Is this issue something I should be concerned about? Is the XD 9 powerful enough for the bullet to exist the RV? Thanks for any information

Ray LeTourneau
11-19-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm not very familiar with hand guns but have considered one for personnal safety. My concern is, hopefully I would never have to use the weapon inside the RV but I think I would like a handgun with enough power to stop the intruder but not have the bullet exist the RV and enter the RV next to me. Is this issue something I should be concerned about? Is the XD 9 powerful enough for the bullet to exist the RV? Thanks for any information
I am rather green at handguns as well. I hadn't considered the after effect of using the weapon on an intruder. My hope would be that the body of the perp would slow the bullet enough so it didn't go to far. :confused: I've not done any testing yet. Maybe we have an ex or current police officer that could respond that has had real world experience with a 9MM. I think a lot depends on the type of ammo too.

I did have the opportunity to get some range time in before we headed south. First time out I was able to unload a 16 round clip into a 9" paper plate at about 30 feet. Not fast .fireing though. I was pretty pleased about that.:D

jmgratz
11-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Ray,
The law enforcement weapon of choice nowadays is the 40 cal auto, in either Barretta, Glock or S&W. In the 'old days' the .38 caliber revolver was the gun of choice. Much research has been done on various calibers and bullet weights with the two biggest factors being stopping power, and penetration. In the urban environment penetration is important as you do not want a bullet going through a suspect into a building and killing or wounding an innocent party. Hence the 40 cal selection which has the best stopping ability and penetration with the least amount of risk to the innocent population at the present thinking anyway. The bigger issue "is your ability and skill level up to the task" and "are you willing and legally able to use deadly force should the occasion arise?" You cannot carry or own any weapon without the proper knowledge to use it properly.

Hope this clears up some issues. BTW most peace officers carry hollow point ammunition a it does the most damage versus ball ammo.

Ray LeTourneau
11-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Ray,
The bigger issue "is your ability and skill level up to the task" and "are you willing and legally able to use deadly force should the occasion arise?" You cannot carry or own any weapon without the proper knowledge to use it properly.

Hope this clears up some issues. BTW most peace officers carry hollow point ammunition a it does the most damage versus ball ammo.
My hope is to never have to use deadly force against a human. In my home state, it is legal for me to own a weapon. That said, I have not had any formal handgun training. It's my intent to take classes and training as required. Thanks for your reply Jim.

2psnapod2
11-20-2010, 09:32 AM
This is a issue that I have been pondering over as our plan to go full timing rapidly approaches. Do you really need a pistol for protection?

jmgratz
11-20-2010, 09:59 AM
This is a issue that I have been pondering over as our plan to go full timing rapidly approaches. Do you really need a pistol for protection?

This is a decision you will have to personally consider. I would recommend if you do decide to carry one do it legally, i.e. get training and the licensing that is appropriate for you domicile. Also be aware many places where you travel prohibit carrying firearms on your person without a license and some prohibit even with a license.

SJH
11-20-2010, 11:08 AM

This is definitely a personal choice. Some are comfortable with carrying a weapon while others are not. For me, I work under the old adage...better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one.

Be Safe!

elwaller39
11-20-2010, 11:41 AM
I hope I do not get held up during the Heartland Rally 2011 with a golf crat if Jim B.lets me. I will keep an eye on you! Be careful with your gun.

porthole
11-20-2010, 06:13 PM
I ikke that XD. Although I just read a review on the Gen 4 Glocks, Think that is on my short list now.

2psnapod2
11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
That's what I was thinking also- better to have if needed. And since I have been serving onthe Army for over 27 years. I do feel very comfortable handling a weapon. Just would have to work with which one I buy and get accustom to it. I will get all required paperwork to carry legally. No other way since we plan on using military fam camps also.

Invizatu
11-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Ray.... Congrats on your new gun.
Check out www.usacarry.com (http://www.usacarry.com) for lots of good info about gun ownership, permits, reciprocal agreements, etc.

Paul & Nan
11-20-2010, 08:02 PM
And let us know, we are armed and loaded. DH just finished his concealed to carry today. I will do mine later. We will be in Mission and there is a range up the road. Nan

Paul & Nan
11-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Ray-rethink your statement about being illeagal to own a weapon. It is not illeagal in all of Illinois. I think you live in the ignorant area near Chicago. Downstate has he brains to know that self protection, among other things is legal You must have a FOID card, and cannot, yet carry concealed, darn it, but otherwise, OK. Nan

Pulltab
11-21-2010, 09:04 AM
The ammo you want to purchase is Self Defense ammo, it is designed for maximum expansion and at the same time restricting exiting the body. Full metal jacket ammo is NOT a good idea for carrying daily.

Ray LeTourneau
11-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Ray-rethink your statement about being illeagal to own a weapon. It is not illeagal in all of Illinois. I think you live in the ignorant area near Chicago. Downstate has he brains to know that self protection, among other things is legal You must have a FOID card, and cannot, yet carry concealed, darn it, but otherwise, OK. Nan
I do carry an FOI card. I plan on taking concealed carry class as soon as possible after we arrive in Mission. I will also be joining the NRA.

Brett, thanks for that link. I actually found that site before my purchase. Good info!!

OhioJay
11-28-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a sub-compact XD in .40 caliber. I swear...they made that gun just for me and my hand!! You will not be unhappy with that weapon. I did find the handle to be just a bit too small. My pinky finger fell off the botom of the handle. I bought the extended magazine, and the XD Gear spacer. It now fits my hand perfectly.

If anyone is concerned about "pass through" when shooting a target, generally, the smaller and faster the bullet or round, the greater the odds of pass through. With a bigger and slower round, the likelyhood of pass through diminishes. NOT ALWAYS, I know. But most times.

I don't think that matters much when you're talking about laminate and styrofoam RV walls. My .40 is my carry weapon. I also keep a Taurus Judge by the bed, loaded with .410 shot shells. Very little aim required, and the projectiles are pretty slow. Not a guarantee, I know. But much less likely to cause problems.

hart1369
11-29-2010, 08:19 PM
I have a sub-compact XD in .40 caliber. I swear...they made that gun just for me and my hand!! You will not be unhappy with that weapon. I did find the handle to be just a bit too small. My pinky finger fell off the botom of the handle. I bought the extended magazine, and the XD Gear spacer. It now fits my hand perfectly.

If anyone is concerned about "pass through" when shooting a target, generally, the smaller and faster the bullet or round, the greater the odds of pass through. With a bigger and slower round, the likelyhood of pass through diminishes. NOT ALWAYS, I know. But most times.

I don't think that matters much when you're talking about laminate and styrofoam RV walls. My .40 is my carry weapon. I also keep a Taurus Judge by the bed, loaded with .410 shot shells. Very little aim required, and the projectiles are pretty slow. Not a guarantee, I know. But much less likely to cause problems.
except for those it is intended for:D

JohnDar
02-23-2011, 08:39 PM
I've just agreed to purchase a gently used Colt MK IV, Model 70 .45 Government Model from a private seller at a really good price. According to the S/N, it was made in 1981. Picked up the Purchase Permit this afternoon and need to connect with him to get it signed and pay him for it. I've always wanted a .45 auto, and now I've got one.

porthole
02-23-2011, 08:49 PM
No replacement for displacement - goes for cars and guns!

cookie
02-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Series 70? Find some semi wad cutters loaded down to 600 fps. Will be fun to shoot.

Peace
Dave

bluebirdsnfur
02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
DH and I just recently applied for our Lifetime License for CC. He has a 9mm somethng or other and I am seriously looking at the S&W 38 Special -Crimson Trace. Has a nice little laser on it. We also are signing up for classes and visiting the shooting ranges.

For the women out there, a wonderful book to read is 'THE CORNERED CAT, A Woman's Guide To Concealed Carry.'..by Kathy Jackson.
I wanted a woman's point of view on guns before making my decision.

Also bought 'Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States'

ElkStalker
05-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Sitting here with my S&W M&P40c on my side. Just bought a M&P45 to go with my 40c and 9. Yes I like the M&P's. My wife that never liked pistols took a CC class aobut a month ago and told me today "we need to go shooting". "Yes we can", that's something I can get behind.

Cimriver
05-16-2011, 10:20 AM
I've had my XD for about 3 years now. Great weapon. I haven't had a single jam yet!

rumaco
06-01-2011, 06:13 PM
A reply that means nothing! How many rounds do you fire a year? That would make it a worthwhile statement. I shoot IPSEC and about 5000 rounds a month and the weapon you speak of would NOT hold up in any sence of the word. Absolutely any gun will hold up with the average 200 rounds a year!

JohnDar
06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Now that I've gotten my Michigan CPL, I've taken to carrying either my Kel-Tec P11 or my late Dad's D-22 derringer. My Colt MkIV or S&W Model 15 are just a tad too big for regular wear. Nice in the nightstand, though. OK, a 22LR may not be the most intimating round out there, but "in your face" at close range? The thought of taking two shots might just make a non-PCP/Crack/Meth hyped butt-head reconsider picking on this little gray-haired (what's left) old man.

Invizatu
06-02-2011, 05:13 AM
A reply that means nothing! How many rounds do you fire a year? That would make it a worthwhile statement. I shoot IPSEC and about 5000 rounds a month and the weapon you speak of would NOT hold up in any sence of the word. Absolutely any gun will hold up with the average 200 rounds a year!

Rumaco... I'm guessing you shoot a 1911 / 45cal. ??? I shoot a Glock 40 cal. and I have had it for 18 years now and never had a jam or malfunction of any kind. But another element to reliability other than number of rounds is proper maintenance. I don't shoot as many rounds as you, but I'm guessing most of us don't.

hart1369
06-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Now that I've gotten my Michigan CPL, I've taken to carrying either my Kel-Tec P11 or my late Dad's D-22 derringer. My Colt MkIV or S&W Model 15 are just a tad too big for regular wear. Nice in the nightstand, though. OK, a 22LR may not be the most intimating round out there, but "in your face" at close range? The thought of taking two shots might just make a non-PCP/Crack/Meth hyped butt-head reconsider picking on this little gray-haired (what's left) old man.
the one in your pocket is allways better than the one at home

rumaco
06-06-2011, 08:16 PM
NO, as a matter of fact my comp pistol is a Sig Sauer P220 (well greased on the slides). Sorry if I ruffled feathers, it's just my Irish nature!