A crack in confidence

moose53

After discovering a crack in the side of my gray water tank I contacted my dealer about the possibility it could be cover in some part under warranty. Heartland told my dealer no. I contacted Heartland customer service and was told no, it was out of warranty. I understand that products need to have a warranty, but I find it hard to believe that a plastic tank should only last 16 months? It appears that the bottoms straps were never tight enough to support the weight of the tank when filled with gray water.

Harvey

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I am very sorry for your problem! Such issues can take the fun out of RVing even if only temporary. I had a crack in our previous SOB but we were able to have someone "plastic weld" the tank without removing it. It was an easy fix and only about $100.00. Maybe this is an option for you also.

Best Wishes.

goodtruck

If you can see the crack it can be fixed with 3M 5200 and a plastic cutting sheet.I fixed the crack in our water tank and the cost was less then 30$.

Northern Virginia
Yeah, that does suck. Just out of curiosity, did the dealer give you a quote to replace the tank? And if you don't mind, how much do they want?

If it's more than a few hundred, I would look into the plastic welding option. I mean if you can get it fixed for a 100 bucks, I wouldn't be too bent out of shape.

Good luck and let us know what you are able to come up with to get it fixed.

John

Wharton

Sorry about your tank but look at the bright side. You can now replace the tank sensors with some that work.....................

porthole

Retired
I think the bottom straps only support the tank as it fills up, closer to full, the more the strap is working

caissiel

You just reminded me about my Gray tank No1.
It sites under the Black tank and holds the weight of the black tank above on My unit which is a BC 3500RL.
Last fall it was hanging bown pushing the belly sheet.

The angle was bending and was not able to hold weight of both tanks and I had to place some reinforcement straps and thighten the existing ones.

At the time I had in mind to install a stronger angle to hold the tanks, and so far I have not done it.
Hope there is a warmer day next week because that angle is being replaced before I head south for the winter.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
...It sites under the Black tank and holds the weight of the black tank above on it....

The angle was bending and was not able to hold weight of both tanks...

I have the same problem on my Bighorn. The combined weight bent the metal angle support so bad on the bottom tank that it let the tank slip out on one side. The metal straps that are "supposed" to hold the tank up in place when it starts getting full were way to long and were useless. I have not had a chance to replace the angle iron support yet but have shortened the metal straps. The gray tank hangs so low on my coach that the entire dump valve is below the bottom of the frame. The 1 1/2" drain line was running "up" and through a hole in the frame cross member and then back down to the drain outlet. The gray tank could never drain but about halfway. I cut the drain and rerouted it under the frame cross member so now it is almost level. I drained 17 gallons out of the tank that before always stayed in. That is a lot of weight to be hauling around and bouncing up and down the road. Another bad design.

garyandbarb

Meandering Canucks
That is only the tip of the iceberg. At least you got to talk to someone. I finally gave up trying to get any answers out of Heartland. I have had major problems since I bought my 2008 Bighorn 3670 in November 2007. The cable carrier straps have all broken and I have had to make adjustments with hinges and relocation of the carrier straps themselves. They were being stressed by the slideout gear track because they were placed in the wrong locations. My entire front end started flexing up and down on the pin box by as much as 3 inches. When I had the nose cap and the cover under the front end removed we found that the front end of the trailer was resting on a piece of tin that had shattered. I had to make repairs to reinforce the front of the 5er at a cost to me of $2,500.00. One of my trail air center point suspension units failed. I replaced it with Dexter, my cost to repair the tires damaged by the misaligned axles as well as the shocks, bushings and top springs (all damaged as a result of this failure) was $1,700.00. My cupboard over the kitchen counter and the coat closet at the entrance to the unit both fell off of the wall. They were each held on with 4 screws. I built frames behind the cabinets and reattached them securely. The list goes on!

This unit has never been over loaded or driven off a paved highway. It is basically a lemon! Heartland doen't care as it is out the door and I am 2,000 miles away.

Where was Heartland in all of this? Either on the phone or referring me to my dealer who would not do anything unless I paid up front and was willing to wait for 3 - 4 months due to exceedingly heavy volume!!?? Whenever I do get to talk to someone at Heartland there is never a record of my calling about issues previously.

Needless to say it has been a very frustrating 3 years. I would have to be an idiot to buy another Heartland product unless I saw something to convince me they have changed!

Geo

Gary , I also have problem with the pin box moving up but only ½” not as bad as yours or not yet. I found this the day I brought it home 5 ½ months a go had it at two dealers & going back in a few weeks they tell me that they have a fix & will fix it.
Where I noticed it was on the front bedroom wall lower trim would move down & open up the caulking when put on the truck, off the truck it would close back up.
Do you have pictures of the reinforcing / repairs done? That could be help full.

Over all the rig has been great for me other then this problem, I think that it is a good quality RV.

George

I Leave my gray tanks open at all time. Had a bulge in the tank that I had to repair so it didn't sag. Once you crack is fixed, don't fill, let it run