Mushrooms anybody?

imchud

Anybody looking for free mushrooms??/
We have had our 3385 B/H for 3 seasons now and we have had our fair share of water issues. the worst one was when the seal around the access door to the frig was not installed and water from rain was leaking down between the walls and on to the carpet, to the side and front of he main slide. we took it back to elkheart and they did what seemed to be a great job sealing the unit up. they removed the frig and sealed and caulked everything. Well this year we have only had it on site for two months with no apparent issues. we show up this weekend to the CG and my DW noticed in the corner by the frig there was a area of about 4" x 4" that was black as coal with mold, and there was 4 little mushrooms about 3" high growing up from the carpet...Yummy.
Well i got it cleaned up? however it wasn't hardly wet, just a little damp, but I had to really dig my fingers into the carpet to feel it. I dont see how any water can be getting in with the caulking job they did, but I guess its coming in from some place.

A few questions... It's been so hot with humidity being high as ****, i was woundering if condensation from the frig could be leaking in from some place??/
I also removed the panel from under the frig unit and where the floor meets the wall there was also a thin line of black mold and when I ran my finger along it, it was slightly damp.?????

hoefler

Did you leave the A/C on?? If not, it could be condensation on the exterior of the fridge collecting and dripping on the floor.

imchud

Did you leave the A/C on?? If not, it could be condensation on the exterior of the fridge collecting and dripping on the floor.

I thought of that also... So I called heartland and spoke with Eric in customer service (very very cocky & arrogant by the way) and he told me that "condensation" from the frig wouldn't happen?? He then said that the repair work i had done last July, having "Capital RV in Elkhart" reseal everything inside the frig compartment must have gone bad? he said that seals and caulking are only guaranteed to work for 3 months... what a clown. Basicly he was telling me to go pound sand.

hoefler

I have a fridge in my work trailer, it is a 110 apartment size unit. It will condensate water and drip on the floor, that was the reason for my question. In this heat and humidity, I always seem to have a puddle in the floor. And no, my work trailer does not have A/C. Wish it did tho.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the remarks and comments on this thread are on the edge of being against the forum rules. Lets keep it civil.
As far as Eric goes, it is hard to diagnose a problem from one state away on a three year old rig. There are only two people that know how the OP's original phone conversation went and I don't think anyone else can comment on what they don't know.
Now to the problem. As we all know water leaks are probably the hardest to find in some circumstances. As Hoefler said in his reply, the refer can condensate and put water on the floor. Were you able to look at the refer from the back vent and notice any condenstate? Or were you able to look at the bottom of the refer when you had the panel off on the inside where you found the thin line of mold at the wall, floor?
Is the drain line running from the drip pan in the refer clear and functioning properly?
Do you have any windows or other places where caulk might need attention in that area?
Just a few thoughts.

Peace
Dave

imchud

Some of the remarks and comments on this thread are on the edge of being against the forum rules. Lets keep it civil.
As far as Eric goes, it is hard to diagnose a problem from one state away on a three year old rig. There are only two people that know how the OP's original phone conversation went and I don't think anyone else can comment on what they don't know.
Now to the problem. As we all know water leaks are probably the hardest to find in some circumstances. As Hoefler said in his reply, the refer can condensate and put water on the floor. Were you able to look at the refer from the back vent and notice any condenstate? Or were you able to look at the bottom of the refer when you had the panel off on the inside where you found the thin line of mold at the wall, floor?
Is the drain line running from the drip pan in the refer clear and functioning properly?
Do you have any windows or other places where caulk might need attention in that area?
Just a few thoughts.

Peace
Dave

Wow... Sorry, I guess i opened a can or worms.
I did check for condensation under the Fridge and from the acess panel from the outside of the unit and there was no sign of any. The Mold was in the corner next to the fridge and under the fridge where the wall meets the floor, and yes the drain line is on the outside of the vent. However, when I or when anybody calls to speak with someone in customer service, thats what you (I) expect. So when I called and spoke with "Eric" I never expected him to trouble shoot it over the phone or say they would fix it again (which they should), However I did expect him to be "helpful" and try and put me in touch with a good dealer in my area that may have had some experence in these things. But what I got instead was attitude, and a lot of it.

I will end up taking it back to Capital RV in Elkhart, but at a $100.00/hour... its going to hurt.

Buford445

I found I have the same problem but my mushrooms are in the slideout , but I don't feel any dampness . But its the same black with mushrooms growing

slaytop

I had a serious fungus issue with my storage basement floor and replaced the entire floor with a composite material. The problem was the strand board couldn't dry out being wrapped top and bottom. Moisture that is absorbed by the strand board needs a way to dry. Take water leaks seriously if they settle into the underlying structural materials.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom, A couple of questions. What fridge do you have? Which side of the fridge is the mold or damp area? If on the left side, could there be some water coming in through the dinette slide? If it's by the steps, I have no clue.
Some fridges have a couple of switches just inside the freezer door. Climate Control and Ambient Temperature. Climate Control operates a little heat system around the frame of the doors to stop condensation in humid areas. If you have condensation, it will show on the frame of the fridge between the freezer and lower section.
If you have an ice maker, I would seriously check under the fridge and on the "floor" of the fridge from the backside for water. The pinhole leaks are very hard to find. Good Luck with your situation.

imchud

Tom, A couple of questions. What fridge do you have? Which side of the fridge is the mold or damp area? If on the left side, could there be some water coming in through the dinette slide? If it's by the steps, I have no clue.
Some fridges have a couple of switches just inside the freezer door. Climate Control and Ambient Temperature. Climate Control operates a little heat system around the frame of the doors to stop condensation in humid areas. If you have condensation, it will show on the frame of the fridge between the freezer and lower section.
If you have an ice maker, I would seriously check under the fridge and on the "floor" of the fridge from the backside for water. The pinhole leaks are very hard to find. Good Luck with your situation.

Hey Ray,
I'm not sure regarding what type of fridge i have, but i "dont" have a ice maker? I guess i should know what kind but I will be back there this weekend to check it out. the mold is on the left side of the fridge... right in the corner. its not from traveling and having water spraying up from the tires because we are seasonal. The condensation issue makes sense to me, but there is no direct water under the fridge. I tool the grate off the front of the unit and besides some moisture where the floor meets the outside wall, the floor was full of dust with no signs of being wet?? You know we had it closed up for a few weeks and it was very Hot and very humid with no air flow through the unit. i'm wondering if that could cause the problem??? i think from know on I will have a small fan on a timmer, pointing down in the corner in question for when i'm not there, maybe that will work???

Tom

hoefler

Humidity control is really the only answer for condensation. If you have a side by side, the left side is the freezer side, which would be colder. Eventually the seal will get colder enough to cause condensation when the inside temps of your closed up rig heat up. Try running your A/C at 80* when your gone. The A/C is actually a dehumidifier on steroids. Plus it won't have to work as hard to cool down when you get there for a stay. Since we go try somewhere every 4-6 weeks, our fridge and A/C stay on all the time. Helps keep it from getting musty and stuffy inside.