PDA

View Full Version : Said it before, will say it again!

rumaco
10-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Most advise from "what tow vehicle to use" comes from someone that is a first timer or someone that is so impressed with what they bought it MUST be the best. Actually the average person has no idea what "true deisel" or "torque" or "pulling torque" or most any other term used in pulling means. The "true deisel" is an in line like Cummins, I own a Powerstroke and yet bow to the Cummins. My truck is 12 years old and is a true modified "puller." I invested in a truck that has evolved into 1200 ft/lb of torque and a transmission built in Barstow CA as a "super trany" which carries a 350,000 mile guarantee. My 12 year old truck will pull the axels out of ANY new truck. It has air suspensions, bypass oil sytem, dual oversized tranny coolers, donaldson air cleaner, super gears in the rear end, geller filter for the fuel, Titan 90 gallon fuel tank, overloads and so much more. I pull Cabage Hill in Oregon at 55 MPH no problem. Stock trucks are what people talk about, most have no idea what modifieds can do or are willing to try it. I will match mine against any on the road. Also NEVER believe the crap about "you need dual wheels," just another story.

Jimmy
10-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I'll have to concur there with you Chief...

mmomega
10-25-2011, 01:21 AM
Um...Congrats ? I guess

Glad you're happy. So am I.

To each their own...

noobee
10-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Most advise from "what tow vehicle to use" comes from someone that is a first timer or someone that is so impressed with what they bought it MUST be the best. Actually the average person has no idea what "true deisel" or "torque" or "pulling torque" or most any other term used in pulling means. The "true deisel" is an in line like Cummins, I own a Powerstroke and yet bow to the Cummins. My truck is 12 years old and is a true modified "puller." I invested in a truck that has evolved into 1200 ft/lb of torque and a transmission built in Barstow CA as a "super trany" which carries a 350,000 mile guarantee. My 12 year old truck will pull the axels out of ANY new truck. It has air suspensions, bypass oil sytem, dual oversized tranny coolers, donaldson air cleaner, super gears in the rear end, geller filter for the fuel, Titan 90 gallon fuel tank, overloads and so much more. I pull Cabage Hill in Oregon at 55 MPH no problem. Stock trucks are what people talk about, most have no idea what modifieds can do or are willing to try it. I will match mine against any on the road. Also NEVER believe the crap about "you need dual wheels," just another story.

Thanks for putting everyone down who is happy with the performance of their hauler... so yours is the meanest, biggest, baddest.... SO WHAT!

kakampers
10-25-2011, 08:22 AM
"pulling power" is NOT the only consideration when deciding on a TV...having a rear axle capacity for pin weight, gross vehicle capacity and several other factors, including braking capability, that can handle your particular load, are more important than what size engine and torgue your have...JMHO....

funntheson
10-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Most advise from "what tow vehicle to use" comes from someone that is a first timer or someone that is so impressed with what they bought it MUST be the best. Actually the average person has no idea what "true deisel" or "torque" or "pulling torque" or most any other term used in pulling means. The "true deisel" is an in line like Cummins, I own a Powerstroke and yet bow to the Cummins. My truck is 12 years old and is a true modified "puller." I invested in a truck that has evolved into 1200 ft/lb of torque and a transmission built in Barstow CA as a "super trany" which carries a 350,000 mile guarantee. My 12 year old truck will pull the axels out of ANY new truck. It has air suspensions, bypass oil sytem, dual oversized tranny coolers, donaldson air cleaner, super gears in the rear end, geller filter for the fuel, Titan 90 gallon fuel tank, overloads and so much more. I pull Cabage Hill in Oregon at 55 MPH no problem. Stock trucks are what people talk about, most have no idea what modifieds can do or are willing to try it. I will match mine against any on the road. Also NEVER believe the crap about "you need dual wheels," just another story..........

:eek:

white lightening
10-25-2011, 06:24 PM
How much did this all cost? Sounds like overkill to me!

Rodney_M
10-25-2011, 06:35 PM
If I needed to make that many mods to my truck in order to pull my trailer, I believe I would just buy a bigger truck already suited to do the job. I have driven a half ton all the way up to a semi and none had to have anything beyond stock gear to do the job. Sure we can add more power with mods but I would never buy a truck and have to depend on having those changes in order to get the job done safely.

rumaco
10-25-2011, 06:36 PM
These are the responses I expected.....some threaten and some agree......Hum? which one to believe????

rumaco
10-25-2011, 06:38 PM
If you do not believe in mods then you are happy with anything the manufacturers give you????? OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am NOT!

tmcran
10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
If you do not believe in mods then you are happy with anything the manufacturers give you????? OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am NOT!. I'm with ya those manufactures don't have a clue. That's why I hunt deer with a 50 cal. LOL.

10-25-2011, 08:03 PM

If you had grunted at the end of your post I would have been convinced that you were really Tim Allen:)

caokgafamily
10-25-2011, 08:18 PM
All my stock 2005 6.0 pulled my 07 3400rl weighing 14K + over 7000 miles across the US and didn't miss a beat. I even went through the Bighorn Mountain's after Yellowstone. When I got home I calculated my MPG and it was 10.6 for the whole trip! and I think it runs on Diesel? I always put the green gas in it.LOL
Steve

goldenbetty
10-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Rumaco, what is your ET in the quarter mile? :o

RollingHome
10-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Rumaco, Iíve waited to see the responses. First SIR, let me say thank you for your services as a Chief Warrant Officer CW4 (retired) from the U.S Army... KUDO's, my hats off . But, "Chief", "Mister" did you forget your training ? Did you forget your manners ? Were not you trained in mentorship, to train others NOT to belittle them ? Common chief, you can do better, much, much better. Sir, you disappoint me and others. How about starting your thread again with a more positive approach. All want the best for their family and their selves, BUT, they buy and have what they can afford. You Sir seem to have a very high expertise level in TV's - others don't. You seem to have deep pockets - others don't. Instead of castigating and criticizing others, how about offering help and suggestions. For instance, I am not as well off financially as you. If you had one suggestion on making my TV better, what would it be ? A K&N air filter, bigger exhaust, a programable chip... comon chief just one idea for improvement ! How about mentoring others. How about helping others ! How about outing your expensive taxpayer paid training and your expertise to help us instead of belittling and talking down to us. Wouldn't that be an asset to you and us ? Just a thought "Chief" or is it "Mister" ? I respectfully ask you to do your thread again in a more positive manner to help rather than scold... I'll bet the threats disappear. I'll bet you get a more positive experience... By the way, others are still working for the company.

TXBobcat
10-25-2011, 09:29 PM
The "true deisel" is an in line like Cummins, I own a Powerstroke and yet bow to the Cummins.

Looks like you should have bought a Cummins. My PSD has no mods and pulls my BH quite well. Sorry you had to put your engine at risk.

Also from my military service the Chiefs and Warrant Officers are the most respected. Even the officers were respectfull to Chiefs and WO's. Apparently you are missing those characteristics.
We were taught to respect the uniform. You are no longer in uniform, however thank you for your service.

BC
STG5 USN 1962-1966

larryanddonnakeever
10-25-2011, 09:48 PM
I to have driven every thing from a 1/2 ton pickup to an 18 wheeler. In line 6 banger to Detroit Diesel, Cummins, and Caterpillar. By the way then was grossing 80,000 lbs. East coast west coast smokey mtns., and rockies.. Now I pull a Heartland BigHorn with my 2010 F350 Ford 6.4 Powerstroke FX4 Lariet. Does just great. I didn't need to soup it up or make any modifications. Gets good fuel milage too... To each his own... I bought what wanted...
Larry and Donna Keever
Oklahoma City, Ok
2011 BigHorn 3585
2010 Ford F350 6.4 Lariet FX4
Transfer Flow 75 gallon Fuel system

jddugan
10-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Just curious about the reason to start this thread Rumaco. Maybe just bored and trying to stir up trouble? Why do you now choose to chastise people who drive stock vehicles? In reading some of your many negative past posts I found the following posted by you:

Re: Ford F450 ??????
Overkill and ROTTEN milage. Horrible costs of repair and well, to tell you the truth everything I pull (and that is daily) takes nothing more than a 350.

jimtoo
10-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Enough,,, everyone cool down.

Jim M

funntheson
10-25-2011, 11:43 PM
These are the responses I expected.....some threaten and some agree......Hum? which one to believe????

........:eek::eek:

mmomega
10-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Most advise from "what tow vehicle to use" comes from someone that is a first timer or someone that is so impressed with what they bought it MUST be the best.
Personally I'm not sure I can take advise from someone so confused themselves, if you have the money to buy the best, why not? Seems odd.

Actually the average person has no idea what "true deisel" or "torque" or "pulling torque" or most any other term used in pulling means.
Pretty sure a true "diesel" is anything that is fueled by diesel fuel. Makes sense right. I mean a tractor, a VW, a Toyota or a CAT. I'm pretty sur... no I'm fairly certain they all truly run on diesel. Regular torque or this pulling torque is the same thing. It is the amount of force used to twist something. Torque wrenches also come to mind. Twisting Powah.

The "true deisel" is an in line like Cummins, I own a Powerstroke and yet bow to the Cummins.
Cummins, also makes V8 as well as V6 engines. Toyota made an in-line diesel.

My truck is 12 years old and is a true modified "puller."
Fact. Your truck is 12 years old and modified and pulls a trailer.

I invested in a truck that has evolved into 1200 ft/lb of torque and a transmission built in Barstow CA as a "super trany" which carries a 350,000 mile guarantee.
From your previous statement it sounds like something suckered you into the wrong investment but Hey, some guys on here with a 6.4 can get 1200ft/lbs of torque with just a reprogram and exhaust. Super Trany's I'm going to have to assume is a cross-dresser in red and blue tights. That or you had the transmission built to be stronger. I can never tell.

My 12 year old truck will pull the axels out of ANY new truck.
It has air suspensions, bypass oil sytem, dual oversized tranny coolers, donaldson air cleaner, super gears in the rear end, geller filter for the fuel, Titan 90 gallon fuel tank, overloads and so much more. I pull Cabage Hill in Oregon at 55 MPH no problem. Stock trucks are what people talk about, most have no idea what modifieds can do or are willing to try it. I will match mine against any on the road. Also NEVER believe the crap about "you need dual wheels," just another story.

I need dual wheels on mine just to be able to carry the sheer amount of awesomeness packed into one vehicle. Not to mention when I go talking about how great it is my head gets bigger and bigger so I'm glad I have the extra tires to carry it. This is why semi trucks have dual wheels. Well, I guess if you aren't actually going to be putting a lot of weight into the bed of your truck like a larger trailer does then No, you wouldn't need a dually. I get what you're saying but like you said before, I'm sure you'll say it again.

ultrafarmer
10-26-2011, 07:40 AM
This is interesting ,,,,,, better than reading about my black water tank is plugged.

Delaine and Lindy
10-26-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm no Diesel expert, as for the best Diesel its what ever your driving. As for adding gadgets to make more HP/Torq well some of us don't have to go there, we have plenty of HP/Torq. The OP does stimulate the conservation. But why do you need 1200 ft/lb of Torq to pull a Heartland, I have pulled the Heartland and can assure you that is a waste of Torq. As for a 90 gal fuel tank, been there also, had a 99 gal (a total of 148 gals) in-bed tank, and it again wasn't needed and the extra weight was 706.7 extra lbs. But I guess with all those gadgets it would have to have a 90 gal tank, more HP/Torq less mpg?? For my use I have a 45 gal tank, but I drive a 2012 Chevy 3500HD and my fuel mileage doesn't need all that extra fuel. I read daily about those who like the gadget and I have no problem with that, its a choice but I don't agree, I'm sure the Ford and Dodge guys are kinda like the GM guys they like the hot rod Trucks, read the GM Diesel forms. Continue to read about their gadgets and they will be the one's with the hood up more often. As for Dual rear wheels, again its a pin weight issue, it you have a small or light 5th wheel you want need the DRW's. The Rally last year in Colorado about 60% were towing over one or more of the weight ratings, most all SRWs were over their pin weight. And when you add extra fuel tanks etc your eating up your weight capacity. But its a choice and a feel good thing when you add gadgets.... If you need extra HP/Torq move up to the HDT/MDT's and you don't have to spend all that money. I just sold my Freightliner M2 which had much more Torq than I needed but when you towing a car behind a 5th wheel its the safety thing. I no longer tow behind the 5th wheel so I no longer have the FL. What type Truck your using is a choice, and the Big 3 makes a awesome off the showroom floor Trucks that will handle most 5th wheels, granted they cost lots of money but if you want to play you will pay. It does take a lot of research to determine what type Truck you need, and you will get lots of different opinions but thats what I love about all the Forums I read on a daily basic. In many cases if you know the weight numbers you will be towing, talk to a Fleet manager of the type Truck you are interested in, in most cases not all the Fleet Sales manager know the the correct numbers. On all the Forums you follow you have no idea who is printing this information. If all the gadgets you can find, don't think for a minute that Ford, Dodge and GM wouldn't have them as options (MONEY). But again those who aren't experts on the Diesel the warranty repairs would be out of site. As most of you know I only buy GM Trucks, however I liked the Freighliner M2 also. But I didn't have a need for the FL after I quit double towing., and I know the GM Trucks feel my needs and wants. Again I'm no expert but have lots of experience in trail and error, but its my choice. Happy Trails....

P.S. Thanks Chief for your service to our Country. And thanks for a stimulating post.

Delaine and Lindy
10-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi Jim and the other MODS don't pull this post its has a lot of good information. And to my Heartland friends be nice....... I know very well your thoughts, and believe me I felt the same way, I have been insulted many times and had my feelings hurt many times. However we can always learn from the other post that are made after the initial post. But I do like to hear from the experts........... Happy Trails......

P.S. I really enjoy the Heartland forum and have lots of respect for those who post here. And I have learned a lot reading many post each day, and there are few days that I'm not reading the Heartland Forum. And have many good friends some I have never met but will in the future meet many more. And thanks to all who have sent PM's and suggestions and for the questions.. And I must say the Mods and my good friend Jim B runs a great forum, and delete very few post which other forums if you don't agree with the Mods they will stripe your legs. I get lots of my post deleted... But I Love my Country and will never stop defending my Country. Jim, Delaine and I came on down about a month early and are in Florida and will be at the Tampa Rv show in Jan. see you there..... Life is Good.....

Gaffer
10-26-2011, 08:39 AM
We don't need threads that start with negative posts like this.

jpdoggett
10-26-2011, 08:59 AM
We don't need threads that start with negative posts like this.
A-MEN you buy what you want and what makes you happy. They all make good produces and they all make junk. We like our dual tires and our stock 6.0 and yes it pull our Landmark just fine

jbeletti
10-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi all,

When I first saw Rumaco's new thread, I thought, oh boy, here we go again. I didn't figure it would last as long as it has. The reply posts have been interesting and some really funny. What I love about this forum is that for the most part, we have very few members who really "go off" on others. We simply don't need that sort of thing and those folks usually stay away or bite their tongue. When they don't or can't, we've got some of the best, even handed moderators anywhere. Thank you moderators - you're the best!

That said, they will know if and when this thread needs to be closed and I will trust their judgement. Very, very rarely, does any thread ever need to be deleted. I prefer to preserve the record. Thread deletions are usually done for spam posts.

Lindy - you may own another brand but you carry yourself well on this forum and have a lot to offer. You are always welcome here and I apologize for any grief you may have received privately from others. While we here can't help you out on any DRV specific issues, at the end of the day, we're all RVers and we have more in common than not. See you in Tampa!

Heartlanders, thank you for putting Rumaco's post in context for yourself and responding in a way that did not super-blast him for his opinion. It's his, he can own it.

Happy camping y'all!

Jim

Rmcgrath53
10-26-2011, 09:26 AM
TOO FUNNY. When I read that post I could hear that voice from the RAM tuff commercials. I am laughing like crazzy right now!!

bill40
10-26-2011, 10:09 AM
This is interesting ,,,,,, better than reading about my black water tank is plugged. Could not agree more.

micar
10-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I am confused by the initial post....But love the responses!!! "Super cross dresser" Tee Hee. What difference does it make if you have 6 cylinders in a row or 8 in a Vee, if it runs on diesel it is a diesel! Torque by definition is rotational force, so it makes no difference if you use it to pull your trailer or do a burnout,it is inherent to the diesel engine and that is why many of us use them to pull our rigs.The choice to add aftermarket gadgets is mine and mine alone and when done safely and used responsibly it may even add a margin of safety. I think the more important point is get what you can afford, do with it what you like, pull your trailer where you want and make great memories along the way.But rambling on about how your truck is better because it is this and that and therefore better than yours is totally counterproductive and not really helpful.Now back to figuring out how to unplug my black tank LOL.
Mike

Speedy
10-26-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm going to cut Rumaco some slack and let it go as a rant to people on other forums that ask or reply to "what tows best" or "which truck will...". I for one hang around here (Heartland) the most versus RV.Net because of the quality people and answers and the lack of daily posts regarding Gas vs. Diesel, Weights and the like. Those post almost drive to post something Rumaco did.

Keep it shiney side up.

Sandpirate69
10-26-2011, 06:10 PM
I agree with the rest of the folks on this forum. You drive what you like and what you can afford. I drive a Chevy because I personaly like Chevy Trucks. This forum is not about who has the BADDEST Truck. Rumaco, I read that you're a Retired Chief Warrant Officer. You obviously forgot what your oath was the day you swore to your Ethos. Yes, i'm a Combat Vet. two rides to Iraq as a Convoy Commander in an Army Unit, by the way i'm in the Navy and still a Reservist for a few more until I retire. Not going to get into what is the better service because we are all in this for the same cause. Anyway, Rumaco bring your BAD Truck to S. Florida I have the kind of pocket you seem to have & I have a BowTie to SMOKE your doors off driven by my dad.

I love these guys, they just can't get enough on the Diesel Forums, maybe someone hurt his feelings. :p:D:D

Birchwood
10-26-2011, 06:25 PM
I just use my truck to haul the Pinehurst to someplace warm where I can focus on my golf game.
I don't even have a chrome tip on my tail pipe as I find it kind of redneckish

porthole
10-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I like my heated seats :D

And how about SRW's like the big trucks are starting to get here? "Super singles" I have seen many of them in the UK.

kakampers
10-27-2011, 10:00 AM
How much did this all cost? Sounds like overkill to me!

We used to own a 98 Dodge Cummins dually...did some of the mods to that truck that the OP did...i.e, custom built ATS tranny, large oil pan, PAC Brake, Edge w/Attitude with gauges and torque converter Commander, FAS pump, ported exhaust, 4" stainless steel exhaust. In that truck it was not overkill...the Cummins is a great engine, but it had it's issues, and the tranny was not capable of handling the torque the Cummins threw at it. These mods cost us just over $12K in 2005.

We towed with that truck up until we got the Bighorn, as it no longer could carry the weights of the new trailer, especially the RAWR and GVWR of the truck...that's when we got the C4500, in 07 they didn't make a 3500 that could carry the 4,000lb pin weight of the BH, etc.

What we love about the new 2011 Chevy is it does not need any of the mods we did before to make it a more than capable TV....it has 765 pounds of torque, which is all the pulling power we need, and then some. Plus, we are under on ALL weight capacities and with the Allison tranny, grade braking system and built in exhaust...we can stop our 26K pound load without issue...glad the manufacturers finally listened to what the towing customer needed/wanted in a TV...JMHO.

rebootsemi
10-27-2011, 10:51 AM
What is this guy smoking, "true diesel" is a inline 6 cyl. Wonder if you have ever heard of the E9 Mack V8 or the 3408 Cats that were installed in class 8 trk's. Yet "true diesel" (proper spelling) has a V8,,,,,,,,,Oh Well! Some folks childern.

porthole
10-27-2011, 02:27 PM
I got your true diesel right here!
Only 1,556,002 cubic inches

Rmcgrath53
10-27-2011, 06:17 PM
That bad boy would suck Rumaco truck right up his intake mannifold and spit it out his exhaust.

rumaco
10-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Did not put you down!! If you feel I did then there is somthing that touched a nerve>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>so sorry!

rumaco
10-27-2011, 08:22 PM
axels on duals are no more than axels on singles..............................just an extra tire! Holly crap do you look at any specs????

rumaco
10-27-2011, 08:24 PM
not one bit...............a Union Pacific Desiel is OVERKILL everything else is simple fun.........

rumaco
10-27-2011, 08:24 PM
about an hour and a half!!!!!!!!!!!!

rumaco
10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
WOW! I was offered CW5 at my retirement in 1991. My best friend was Mike Novasell (the medal of Honer winner) and I flew with him that day! I received 47 air medals and 6 purple hearts. I was shot down 11 times, some as loach pilot and some as UH1C gun pilot with the 48 th AHC in Laos. I am going through VA agent orange treatments now and have lost 7 of my best friends to it. If you were a combat crew there I accept your comment. I paid my price.

RollingHome
10-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Welcome back chief, thought you retired again. While I have you'll ear, do you have any suggestions for riding mowers ?

rumaco
10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I guess we just need to respond to the ones that start insong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rumaco
10-27-2011, 08:38 PM
"Chief", what a missed name! Most of you have no idea what it means, those that do "I appreciate the term more than you will
ever know!!!!"

RollingHome
10-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Chief, why do I have a strong feeling you made more then one 90 day wonder barf in his bunk...:D

mmomega
10-27-2011, 09:04 PM
axels on duals are no more than axels on singles..............................just an extra tire! Holly crap do you look at any specs????
Apparently you need to look at specs. Axles on a dually are in deed "more" or rated for more weight. As a Ford F350 SRW axle is a Ford Sterling rated at 7,280lbs while an F350 DRW axle is a Dana 80 rated at 9,000lbs.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/attachments/f152/9599d1294504155-rear-axle-payload-ratings-2011-f350-rgawr-1.jpg

rebootsemi
10-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I got your true diesel right here!
Only 1,556,002 cubic inches

Looks like the little inline they stuffed into the Emma Maersk worlds largest container ship.

kakampers
10-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Specs are exactly WHY we purchased our new 2011 Chevy..

Is it me or is anyone else having trouble following the OP's rambling responses?

flameon
10-27-2011, 10:54 PM
nice to know that we still have "freedom of speech" and also still have the right to believe what we want! for now anyway.

porthole
10-28-2011, 07:18 AM

You are obviously bitter about something so this will be my last post replying to you.

Come on out to the north east and lets talks specs versus tolls - DRW for a pickup equals double the toll.
And it sounds like your big bad truck will be quadruple the tolls, so good luck with the specs.

Delaine and Lindy
10-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Chief, sorry about the Agent Orange, I have been there and done that!! I'm now Cancer free for over 6 years. I do disagree with some of your thoughts about Trucks, but its just one of the great things about "Freedom" we Americans have the right to agree or disagree. And it seems as though we both have one thing that we can agree on, both spent many years in the Military. I'm retired Military also, Drafted and stay 26 years and 22 days, and I also was in Country 67/68 so I do understand what your talking about. I have many friends who have went thru the Agent Orange situtation and some are no longer here, RIP my warrior brothers and sisters. Thank you for your service to our Country and you are in our prayers that you will whip the Agent Orange beast. May the cold winds always blow on you back and the Sun shine on you.....

P.S. I also want to Thank you on a very though provoking, great debate, conversation and comments..

bill40
10-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Don't you just love a good truck topic, 2228 views in 3 days. Shows lots of views and opinions, but my question is ( and I have some ) do all these mods get you there any quicker or safer or more economically, I think not. So why do it , because I want too. Good Thread!!:D

porthole
10-28-2011, 02:06 PM
I did a lot of stuff to the 06 GMC, saw no difference in pulling, mileage or cooling.
The ford is getting only a fuel tank (done) and rear suspension help.

Wmnmy
10-28-2011, 02:53 PM
I love you guys I have much respect for all of the info on this cite 214 10th mountain myself drove 48 Canada when I got out LEO now have v-10 6.7 swd and it pulls my cyclone fine for now will get diesel when I retire that's why I read and take in account all of your post very interesting conversation that take place everyone has an opinion as to which tv they like and why so keep it comming plus some of you are funny as you know what this youngster is learning a lot thanks

mmomega
10-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I did a lot of stuff to the 06 GMC, saw no difference in pulling, mileage or cooling.
The ford is getting only a fuel tank (done) and rear suspension help.

Since you did bring this up again Porthole. I think I've decided on the R4Tech system. Talked to my 4wheelparts guy and we gave Forestone and Sanluis Rassini a call and they build each kit to order and gave me about a 2 week turn around maybe longer if there were shipping problems so I'm going to plan on 1 month total, start to finish. Not sure if you've looked into it further.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet but very soon. The Bilstein 5100's were an ok upgrade but I'm thinking that self leveling bag over single leaf should do the trick. Will probably end up putting the Bilsteins on the '07 truck to help it out some.

Delaine and Lindy
10-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I never will use any gadgets, my Duramax has 397 hp and I have plenty of HP/Torq. If GM thought it needed a gadget it would be a factory install... Gadgets are just snake oil..... But if you insist on a gadget to make your Truck compete, then get you a gadget, all repair shops need more work to do the repairs.. Happy Trails...

10-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Some "gadgets" actually do improve your trucks performance. Air bags would be a good example. Or a TPMS. I am sure there are a lot of other gadgets that so few would need or want that they're not offered by the dealer.

Personally, I don't need any extra power or torque for pulling my Landmark. But there is a place for aftermarket gadgets that are not offered by the dealer (and that won't void your warranty).

John

TedS
10-29-2011, 04:48 PM
My new Ford has factory-installed TPMS.

Oh yeah, I could pull Cabbage Hill at 55mph with my old stock '04 Duramax and 5'r.

Stock is good enough for me.

traveler44
10-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Yeah! You can pull Cabbage hill but can you pull Sugarloaf Mtn.? Just kidding! Do you have a F350 or a F450? My 11 year old F350 is still stock and I figure after it got 200,000 that it would be a little late costwise to start changing it. I did put gauges in mine and I watch my speed and temperatures, coolant additives, and change the oil and filters regularly. I am still learning things about the diesel trucks after having this one for 5 years now. The weakest part of my setup is the srw because it still has the stock rims, and bigger tires and rims do give you more margin for wear on the tires before they pop from the strain of the pin weight- 2600# on mine.

TedS
10-30-2011, 07:15 AM
F350 Lariat crew cab.

porthole
10-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I think I've decided on the R4Tech system.
Not sure if you've looked into it further.
The Bilstein 5100's were an ok upgrade but I'm thinking that self leveling bag over single leaf should do the trick. Will probably end up putting the Bilsteins on the '07 truck to help it out some.

I Am also leaning towards the R4. The 4 link system I have been following on the Ford forum seems to have some issues.
The most I have looked into it is asking the local distributor to get a price, I haven't followed up on that though, been busy with other stuff. If I could I would like to do it before winter arrives, I'm thinking with the way the system works it should make the truck ride so much better unloaded as well as loaded.
I did the fuel tank last month, that was pricey and the R4 is no bowl of soup.
Bilsteins will at least go on the front. As for the front, loaded or un-loaded, the front seems to be balanced fairly well with capacity versus ride.

TandT
11-11-2011, 08:37 PM
This thread epitomizes exactly why I stopped posting to any Tow Vehicle thread 8 months ago. They always end up the same way. :eek:

(In this case, this one did not start well.)

Below, you will see a picture of the current Diesel Engine mod I'm doing to my TV, arriving at my mechanics shop. They tell me I'm going to need a suspension upgrade.

Trace:D

Wmnmy
11-11-2011, 09:51 PM
My new Ford has factory-installed TPMS.

Oh yeah, I could pull Cabbage Hill at 55mph with my old stock '04 Duramax and 5'r.

Stock is good enough for me. I couldn't wait got the 2011 f250 lariat power stroke diesel have you had any concerns with it how does it pull . My first diesel pu .

Ray LeTourneau
11-11-2011, 10:55 PM
This thread epitomizes exactly why I stopped posting to any Tow Vehicle thread 8 months ago. They always end up the same way. :eek:

(In this case, this one did not start well.)

Below, you will see a picture of the current Engine mod I'm doing to my TV, arriving at my mechanics shop. Trace:D
Yeah, I wanna see that go under an Interstate bridge.:eek:

TedS
11-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Wmnmy, it pulls just fine. Made two trips in CO and UT and we are up at about 7000 ft, accumulated about 1000 miles before putting it all away for the winter. Went over Wolf Creek Pass over 10000 ft no problem. I'm still getting used to what I perceive as throttle lag, a delay when accelerating and then the transmission shifts and the boost kicks in. I think I like the tow/haul shift points better than the standard shift points, even for non-towing driving. I'm a little selfconscious when the tires chirp in second gear. 70-year olds don't do that like when they were younger. Still like it.

TandT
11-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I wanna see that go under an Interstate bridge.:eek:

Good point Ray. Guess I forgot about that one small detail. LOL Trace

Wmnmy
11-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Wmnmy, it pulls just fine. Made two trips in CO and UT and we are up at about 7000 ft, accumulated about 1000 miles before putting it all away for the winter. Went over Wolf Creek Pass over 10000 ft no problem. I'm still getting used to what I perceive as throttle lag, a delay when accelerating and then the transmission shifts and the boost kicks in. I think I like the tow/haul shift points better than the standard shift points, even for non-towing driving. I'm a little selfconscious when the tires chirp in second gear. 70-year olds don't do that like when they were younger. Still like it. thanks for the info Ted I'm looking forward to a great time with this truck have heard nothing but good comments on it my first diesel rides smooth sounds great for a turbo I haven't had wheels chirp yet again thanks for response .

Wmnmy
12-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Ted did you put firestone air bags on mine was sagging a little bit so I put heavy duty bags and compressor on it took photos without bags will take more during my trip to California ne xt week

TedS
12-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Wmnmy, no I did no install air bags. Truck and trailer sit level enough, maybe the trailer is slightly nose high but close enough. I have about 2740lbs. pin weight.

Wmnmy
12-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Wmnmy, no I did no install air bags. Truck and trailer sit level enough, maybe the trailer is slightly nose high but close enough. I have about 2740lbs. pin weight. ok just got back from San Diego las Vegas weekend and wow that power stroke pulled the heck outta the cyclone even dw was impressed . The v-10 can't even touch it pulling up those grades wow the Firestone air bags did the trick also no chucking the engine stayed at around 1600 1800 rpms with cruise on and the engine exhaust was awesome only used brakes three times down hill very light traffic and I got 4mpg more than the v-10 with 1600 miles on this truck I like it .

Wmnmy
12-23-2011, 08:53 PM
I also like having the compressor on board to top off my tires on truck and fifth wheel I usually spend three dollars every time I start my trips well worth it 60 psi in bags and I had to keep looking back to make sure it w as back there .