Said it before, will say it again!

mmomega

AnyTimer
Most advise from "what tow vehicle to use" comes from someone that is a first timer or someone that is so impressed with what they bought it MUST be the best.
Personally I'm not sure I can take advise from someone so confused themselves, if you have the money to buy the best, why not? Seems odd.
Actually the average person has no idea what "true deisel" or "torque" or "pulling torque" or most any other term used in pulling means.
Pretty sure a true "diesel" is anything that is fueled by diesel fuel. Makes sense right. I mean a tractor, a VW, a Toyota or a CAT. I'm pretty sur... no I'm fairly certain they all truly run on diesel. Regular torque or this pulling torque is the same thing. It is the amount of force used to twist something. Torque wrenches also come to mind. Twisting Powah.
The "true deisel" is an in line like Cummins, I own a Powerstroke and yet bow to the Cummins.
Cummins, also makes V8 as well as V6 engines. Toyota made an in-line diesel.
My truck is 12 years old and is a true modified "puller."
Fact. Your truck is 12 years old and modified and pulls a trailer.
I invested in a truck that has evolved into 1200 ft/lb of torque and a transmission built in Barstow CA as a "super trany" which carries a 350,000 mile guarantee.
From your previous statement it sounds like something suckered you into the wrong investment but Hey, some guys on here with a 6.4 can get 1200ft/lbs of torque with just a reprogram and exhaust. Super Trany's I'm going to have to assume is a cross-dresser in red and blue tights. That or you had the transmission built to be stronger. I can never tell.
My 12 year old truck will pull the axels out of ANY new truck.
It has air suspensions, bypass oil sytem, dual oversized tranny coolers, donaldson air cleaner, super gears in the rear end, geller filter for the fuel, Titan 90 gallon fuel tank, overloads and so much more. I pull Cabage Hill in Oregon at 55 MPH no problem. Stock trucks are what people talk about, most have no idea what modifieds can do or are willing to try it. I will match mine against any on the road. Also NEVER believe the crap about "you need dual wheels," just another story.

I need dual wheels on mine just to be able to carry the sheer amount of awesomeness packed into one vehicle. Not to mention when I go talking about how great it is my head gets bigger and bigger so I'm glad I have the extra tires to carry it. This is why semi trucks have dual wheels. Well, I guess if you aren't actually going to be putting a lot of weight into the bed of your truck like a larger trailer does then No, you wouldn't need a dually. I get what you're saying but like you said before, I'm sure you'll say it again.

Last edited:

Delaine and Lindy

I'm no Diesel expert, as for the best Diesel its what ever your driving. As for adding gadgets to make more HP/Torq well some of us don't have to go there, we have plenty of HP/Torq. The OP does stimulate the conservation. But why do you need 1200 ft/lb of Torq to pull a Heartland, I have pulled the Heartland and can assure you that is a waste of Torq. As for a 90 gal fuel tank, been there also, had a 99 gal (a total of 148 gals) in-bed tank, and it again wasn't needed and the extra weight was 706.7 extra lbs. But I guess with all those gadgets it would have to have a 90 gal tank, more HP/Torq less mpg?? For my use I have a 45 gal tank, but I drive a 2012 Chevy 3500HD and my fuel mileage doesn't need all that extra fuel. I read daily about those who like the gadget and I have no problem with that, its a choice but I don't agree, I'm sure the Ford and Dodge guys are kinda like the GM guys they like the hot rod Trucks, read the GM Diesel forms. Continue to read about their gadgets and they will be the one's with the hood up more often. As for Dual rear wheels, again its a pin weight issue, it you have a small or light 5th wheel you want need the DRW's. The Rally last year in Colorado about 60% were towing over one or more of the weight ratings, most all SRWs were over their pin weight. And when you add extra fuel tanks etc your eating up your weight capacity. But its a choice and a feel good thing when you add gadgets.... If you need extra HP/Torq move up to the HDT/MDT's and you don't have to spend all that money. I just sold my Freightliner M2 which had much more Torq than I needed but when you towing a car behind a 5th wheel its the safety thing. I no longer tow behind the 5th wheel so I no longer have the FL. What type Truck your using is a choice, and the Big 3 makes a awesome off the showroom floor Trucks that will handle most 5th wheels, granted they cost lots of money but if you want to play you will pay. It does take a lot of research to determine what type Truck you need, and you will get lots of different opinions but thats what I love about all the Forums I read on a daily basic. In many cases if you know the weight numbers you will be towing, talk to a Fleet manager of the type Truck you are interested in, in most cases not all the Fleet Sales manager know the the correct numbers. On all the Forums you follow you have no idea who is printing this information. If all the gadgets you can find, don't think for a minute that Ford, Dodge and GM wouldn't have them as options (MONEY). But again those who aren't experts on the Diesel the warranty repairs would be out of site. As most of you know I only buy GM Trucks, however I liked the Freighliner M2 also. But I didn't have a need for the FL after I quit double towing., and I know the GM Trucks feel my needs and wants. Again I'm no expert but have lots of experience in trail and error, but its my choice. Happy Trails....

P.S. Thanks Chief for your service to our Country. And thanks for a stimulating post.

Delaine and Lindy

Hi Jim and the other MODS don't pull this post its has a lot of good information. And to my Heartland friends be nice....... I know very well your thoughts, and believe me I felt the same way, I have been insulted many times and had my feelings hurt many times. However we can always learn from the other post that are made after the initial post. But I do like to hear from the experts........... Happy Trails......

P.S. I really enjoy the Heartland forum and have lots of respect for those who post here. And I have learned a lot reading many post each day, and there are few days that I'm not reading the Heartland Forum. And have many good friends some I have never met but will in the future meet many more. And thanks to all who have sent PM's and suggestions and for the questions.. And I must say the Mods and my good friend Jim B runs a great forum, and delete very few post which other forums if you don't agree with the Mods they will stripe your legs. I get lots of my post deleted... But I Love my Country and will never stop defending my Country. Jim, Delaine and I came on down about a month early and are in Florida and will be at the Tampa Rv show in Jan. see you there..... Life is Good.....

jpdoggett

We don't need threads that start with negative posts like this.
A-MEN you buy what you want and what makes you happy. They all make good produces and they all make junk. We like our dual tires and our stock 6.0 and yes it pull our Landmark just fine

jbeletti

Hi all,

When I first saw Rumaco's new thread, I thought, oh boy, here we go again. I didn't figure it would last as long as it has. The reply posts have been interesting and some really funny. What I love about this forum is that for the most part, we have very few members who really "go off" on others. We simply don't need that sort of thing and those folks usually stay away or bite their tongue. When they don't or can't, we've got some of the best, even handed moderators anywhere. Thank you moderators - you're the best!

That said, they will know if and when this thread needs to be closed and I will trust their judgement. Very, very rarely, does any thread ever need to be deleted. I prefer to preserve the record. Thread deletions are usually done for spam posts.

Lindy - you may own another brand but you carry yourself well on this forum and have a lot to offer. You are always welcome here and I apologize for any grief you may have received privately from others. While we here can't help you out on any DRV specific issues, at the end of the day, we're all RVers and we have more in common than not. See you in Tampa!

Heartlanders, thank you for putting Rumaco's post in context for yourself and responding in a way that did not super-blast him for his opinion. It's his, he can own it.

Happy camping y'all!

Jim

Rmcgrath53

TOO FUNNY. When I read that post I could hear that voice from the RAM tuff commercials. I am laughing like crazzy right now!!

micar

I am confused by the initial post....But love the responses!!! "Super cross dresser" Tee Hee. What difference does it make if you have 6 cylinders in a row or 8 in a Vee, if it runs on diesel it is a diesel! Torque by definition is rotational force, so it makes no difference if you use it to pull your trailer or do a burnout,it is inherent to the diesel engine and that is why many of us use them to pull our rigs.The choice to add aftermarket gadgets is mine and mine alone and when done safely and used responsibly it may even add a margin of safety. I think the more important point is get what you can afford, do with it what you like, pull your trailer where you want and make great memories along the way.But rambling on about how your truck is better because it is this and that and therefore better than yours is totally counterproductive and not really helpful.Now back to figuring out how to unplug my black tank LOL.
Mike

Speedy

I'm going to cut Rumaco some slack and let it go as a rant to people on other forums that ask or reply to "what tows best" or "which truck will...". I for one hang around here (Heartland) the most versus RV.Net because of the quality people and answers and the lack of daily posts regarding Gas vs. Diesel, Weights and the like. Those post almost drive to post something Rumaco did.

Keep it shiney side up.

Sandpirate69

I agree with the rest of the folks on this forum. You drive what you like and what you can afford. I drive a Chevy because I personaly like Chevy Trucks. This forum is not about who has the BADDEST Truck. Rumaco, I read that you're a Retired Chief Warrant Officer. You obviously forgot what your oath was the day you swore to your Ethos. Yes, i'm a Combat Vet. two rides to Iraq as a Convoy Commander in an Army Unit, by the way i'm in the Navy and still a Reservist for a few more until I retire. Not going to get into what is the better service because we are all in this for the same cause. Anyway, Rumaco bring your BAD Truck to S. Florida I have the kind of pocket you seem to have & I have a BowTie to SMOKE your doors off driven by my dad.

I love these guys, they just can't get enough on the Diesel Forums, maybe someone hurt his feelings. :p:D:D

Birchwood

I just use my truck to haul the Pinehurst to someplace warm where I can focus on my golf game.
I don't even have a chrome tip on my tail pipe as I find it kind of redneckish

porthole

Retired
I like my heated seats :D

And how about SRW's like the big trucks are starting to get here? "Super singles" I have seen many of them in the UK.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
How much did this all cost? Sounds like overkill to me!

We used to own a 98 Dodge Cummins dually...did some of the mods to that truck that the OP did...i.e, custom built ATS tranny, large oil pan, PAC Brake, Edge w/Attitude with gauges and torque converter Commander, FAS pump, ported exhaust, 4" stainless steel exhaust. In that truck it was not overkill...the Cummins is a great engine, but it had it's issues, and the tranny was not capable of handling the torque the Cummins threw at it. These mods cost us just over $12K in 2005.

We towed with that truck up until we got the Bighorn, as it no longer could carry the weights of the new trailer, especially the RAWR and GVWR of the truck...that's when we got the C4500, in 07 they didn't make a 3500 that could carry the 4,000lb pin weight of the BH, etc.

What we love about the new 2011 Chevy is it does not need any of the mods we did before to make it a more than capable TV....it has 765 pounds of torque, which is all the pulling power we need, and then some. Plus, we are under on ALL weight capacities and with the Allison tranny, grade braking system and built in exhaust...we can stop our 26K pound load without issue...glad the manufacturers finally listened to what the towing customer needed/wanted in a TV...JMHO.

rebootsemi

What is this guy smoking, "true diesel" is a inline 6 cyl. Wonder if you have ever heard of the E9 Mack V8 or the 3408 Cats that were installed in class 8 trk's. Yet "true diesel" (proper spelling) has a V8,,,,,,,,,Oh Well! Some folks childern.

porthole

Retired
I got your true diesel right here!
Only 1,556,002 cubic inches

Attachments

• wartsila.jpg
    wartsila.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 329817528_1376d8279f_o.jpg
    329817528_1376d8279f_o.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 63

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Did not put you down!! If you feel I did then there is somthing that touched a nerve>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>so sorry!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
axels on duals are no more than axels on singles..............................just an extra tire! Holly crap do you look at any specs????